Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Who gives way to whom

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Based on your theory,...

It's nonsensical.
It isn’t my theory, it’s written in law who must gives way.

If there is an accident, obviously the guy who was supposed to give way either didn’t or entered into the turn when it wasn’t safe to do so. As I said, positioning of the crashed vehicles will usually indicate who was supposed to give way and thus who is at fault.

Heck, I’ve seen a guy who spun out on a corner and smashed backwards into the front of a car that was going the other way. That prick who spun out tried to say the other guy crashed into his rear. Clearly the one crashing into the rear is at fault which the vehicle damage and positioning supported. Luckily many witnesses took the time to stop and state what they saw to police. Sadly, the police only found the prick was at fault for the accident and gave him a ticket and forced him to provide his details to the other driver... I’d have thrown the book at him including making false statements to police and a much more serious dangerous driving charge. I have been harsh with charging him because if it wasn’t for the witnesses, that prick would have gotten away with it.

So yes, the law can be nonsensical sometimes :oops: but I didn’t write it ;)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
It's irrelevant as long as you ALL give way to me!

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

It seems that learners are taught how to pass their driving test and get the required hour up instead of learning the road rules. We have all seen the" mum and dad " instructors who teach their kids bad habits right from day one . I have lost count of how many learners i have seen sitting way under the speed limit in the right hand lane.[/QUOTE]

Professional driving instructors even have learner drivers sitting in the right hand lane in 80+ zones contradictory to road signage..So driving instructors need re teaching

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
How many drivers would know or understand this (ancient but current) NSW rule. Apparently you can't turn left.

Signalling
You must indicate to let others know what you plan to do. Give plenty of warning by signalling before you turn left or right, or change lanes.
Make sure your indicator is turned off after each turn or lane change. If your indicators are not working, not clearly visible or your vehicle does not have indicator lights then you must give a hand signal when turning right or stopping.

signalling-turning-right.jpg

Signal to turn right ..................... ( or throwing rubbish from car )
signalling-slowing-down.jpg

Signal for stopping or slowing down ....................... ( or waving to good looking chicky-babe.)

This also throws up another infringement, where the car is unroadworthy, due to non functioning indicators...

But yes I'm aware of this kind of signalling

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Professional driving instructors even have learner drivers sitting in the right hand lane in 80+ zones contradictory to road signage..So driving instructors need re teaching

......…. and their teaching L driver's the art of keeping their hands at the 10 to 2 position, and shuffling the steering wheel through that hand position while turning a corner, and teaching them to sit close to the steering wheel so that their shoulder to elbow position is nearly vertical.

Geez, I'm gunna have problems when I start doing my old farts driving tests, because I believe that so much taught now is complete BS..

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Yup, don't forget to check all your mirrors and the dash every few seconds making sure not to forget those blind spots and if you have any time left you might see what you're gonna hit before you hit it...

I honestly believe driving should be taught at schools.

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
I rather like the commonsense approach to 'Left Hand Turns at Intersections' in the 1909 Motor Traffic Act, 30 November, 1964 edition.

Quote " (2) Where the driver of a motor vehicle turns his vehicle to his left from one public street into another at an intersection he shall take adequate precautions to avoid danger of his vehicle colliding with any pedestrian who or vehicle or animal in charge of any person which may be upon any portion of the intersection of the streets."

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
When I was getting my truck licence I was told remember MIB, Mirrors, indicate, brake, and you weren't allowed to shift down a gear in a intersection only up.
Pays to be 100% alert in this case as you don't know what the other driver going to do. The person turning Right has to give way to the person turning left.
Now I'm wide awake I can answer the question, doing a U turn means you have to give way to all traffic including pedestrians and the car turning left from a slip lane or a side street even if they have a 'Give Way' or 'Stop' sign. Happy new year to all..

Last edited: