Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Who gives way to whom

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Dayvo, Dec 28, 2019.

1. Dayvo

Dayvo Because i can

Members Ride:
    VE SV6 Series 2
    Ok there is either an accident , near miss or abuse happen here almost weekly. This is Stud road Dandenong . The right hand turn lane has a sign saying " U turn must give way ". The street on the right (mcfees rd) has a giveway sign. So do the people turning left give way to the people doing a u turn or do the people doing a u turn give way to people turning left ? 2019-12-28 11.55.52.png 2019-12-28 11.55.27.png

2. gossie

gossie Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE International 3.6L
    You take care and give way appropriately regardless of where you are.

VS_Pete, figjam and VS 5.0 like this.
  3. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    That is ridiculous.

4. figjam

figjam Donating Member

Members Ride:
    Monaro CV8, Cross 6 Crewman, Territory Ghia.
    Be a smart-RS, front up to the local Police station, and ask a Highway Patrol person to interpret it according to Vic road rules.

5. Utel67

Utel67 Active Member

Members Ride:
    Vs s3 ute
  6. chrisp

chrisp Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
    I believe that the U-turner is supposed to give way to all others - but it seems to me that they rarely do so!

marty351, Skylarking and Utel67 like this.
  7. Drawnnite

Drawnnite Obviously Unsensible

Members Ride:
    2000 Vs Ute
    You might joke about it, but that's what we did with some P Plate questions for NSW for Victorians.
    Spoke to the police just over the border and got a relatively clear answer.
    Its actually not a bad option if you find the right people to ask the questions to.

8. Tatiana

Tatiana Administrator Staff Member

Members Ride:
    Bought a jeep
    There is a thread on another forum about this exact situation. Guy was doing the U-Turn and almost completed it when someone turned left and hit him. He is all dirty because the insurance companies are saying he is at fault. He is disputing it.

commodore665 and Dayvo like this.
  9. Skylarking

Skylarking Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    From the VicRoads page linked above (and a little poking around) we find the following wording;

If you are:
    • stopped at a Stop sign or line, or
    • facing a Give Way sign or line

You must give way to any vehicle already in, entering or approaching an intersection, except if the vehicle is:

• making a U-turn
    • turning left using a slip lane
    • oncoming, turning right, and is also facing a Stop or Give Way sign or line.
    You are not allowed to make a U turn on a road if there is:
    • a single continuous line down the centre of the road
    • double continuous lines down the centre of the road
    • a ‘no U-turn’ sign.
    You are allowed to make a U turn:
    • on other roads
    • at intersections with traffic lights unless there is ‘no U-turn’ sign.

When making a U-turn you must give way to all other vehicles and pedestrians.

For some odd reason, many don't understand the clear wording within the law. Left turning vehicle don't have to give way to vehicles doing a U-turn. Vehicles doing a U-turn must give way to everything. So it is crystal clear that when making a U-turn, if you have a crash, any crash, its 100% your fault (its unambiguous in law).

Why so many get it wrong is reason enough we need periodic license retesting rather than the current system where one has a license for life with a simple periodic fee payment.

PS: intersection pictures weren't so clear but google maps made it rather easy to drive the virtual roads ;)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
    Smitty, figjam and Dayvo like this.
  10. Skylarking

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    He is waisting his time disputing where he is clearly in the wrong. His effort would be better spent refreshing his knowledge of the road rules...

11. Dayvo

Dayvo Because i can

Members Ride:
    VE SV6 Series 2
    [/QUOTE]
    It seems that learners are taught how to pass their driving test and get the required hour up instead of learning the road rules. We have all seen the" mum and dad " instructors who teach their kids bad habits right from day one . I have lost count of how many learners i have seen sitting way under the speed limit in the right hand lane.

commodore665 and wetwork65 like this.
  12. figjam

figjam Donating Member

Members Ride:
    Traffic rules across Australia are supposed to be uniform. The biggest problem is that the States write and interpret the same intention differently.

This thread prompted me to look at the NSW Road Users Handbook, and the original scenario above is not mentioned, but the gist of it is that when you are making a U-turn you must give way to all traffic. This may have something to do with NSW’s interpretation of making U-turns and the lack of signs permitting a U-turn.
    The NSW Traffic Legislation is more pages than anybody can digest and remember, and the rules covering U-turns are too many to reproduce here.

Mum and Dad instructors refer to the Handbook (if they are switched on) but most of that is general knowledge do’s and don’t’s.
    I chipped my learner grandson for not knowing that when pulling out from the kerb, he should have indicated right for 5 seconds. He showed me that it was not in the handbook, but I (eventually) found this obscure rule in the NSW Traffic Legislation, which is something that I could not find again in the last half hour.

A basic knowledge, common sense and avoidance of accidents are key factors, but the average driver barely qualifies on one factor.

Skylarking and Dayvo like this.
  13. Dayvo

Dayvo Because i can

Members Ride:
    VE SV6 Series 2
    My daughter also pointed out another intersection not far from us. The stop sign has been replaced with a give way sign but the markings on the road are still the solid lines not broken lines as per giveway sign. She asked the question if you don't come to a complete stop can you be booked .

Skylarking likes this.
  14. Dayvo

Dayvo Because i can

Members Ride:
    VE SV6 Series 2
    Before 1993 only in Victoria , left turning vehicle's had to give way to right turning vehicles . That was all good as long as an interstate driver wasn't turning left as you were turning right or you run into them. We used to check out the rego plate of anyone turning to see if they were interstate so we wouldnt hit them .
    This rule was changed early 1993 to fall inline with the rest of the country.

Lex likes this.
  15. wetwork65

wetwork65 A wet business

Members Ride:
    VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
    NZ introduced this strange rule in the 80's as well. Then got rid of it a while after Victoria (I think).
    The rule was the cause of countless offset head-on collisions and rear enders, due to the "will he or won't he" style of adherence. For years after it was changed in NZ and Victoria some drivers insisted on it when turning right facing you and just pushed into your lane, leaving me stabbing the brakes.
    Mind you, they still have hook turns in Melbourne to accommodate trams, which I find unnatural.
    Wonder if NSW will look at introducing hook turns, since the trams have now been re-introduced to Sydney CBD. They operate now and then, when the streets aren't too busy.

16. Skylarking

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    Road rules fall under state jurisdiction so are a state law. Harmonising or aligning all state laws is obviously a good idea but will continue to be a bit of a challenge in some instances, states being states.

Me, I’d prefer all states abdicated their licensing, road rule and vehicle registration obligations to the federal government but license/registration fees and more importantly fines for road rule violations are a very lucrative business states will, never give up...
    Fully agree it’s best to avoid crashes. No point being correct in that someone else was supposed to give way but you still had a crash and now you’re injured o_O

17. Trevor loves holden.

Trevor loves holden. Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vs commodore
    Person in the left lane goes first no different to a set of lights. So the person doing the U turn must give way to the one coming out of the side road..

18. Skylarking

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    You can always be booked by a grumpy policeman trying to make his day better at your expense :eek: However, you'd have good grounds to say the sign and road markings were confusing and you simply followed the first thing you saw which was the give way sign. Unless the judge was also having a bad day, i'd expect it would get tossed and likely the police given a few stern words for waisting the courts time :rolleyes:

19. figjam

figjam Donating Member

Members Ride:
    This has only taken me all afternoon to find, in between watching the cricket. :mad:

https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/safety-rules/road-rules/parking.html
    When driving away ……… Before moving from a stationary position at the side of the road or a median strip parking area, you must signal for at least 5 seconds, and check mirrors and blind spots.

Skylarking and chrisp like this.
  20. DavesSV6Tonner

DavesSV6Tonner Active Member

Members Ride:
    VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
    The moron making the left turn deserves a swift kick up the arse for not using some 'common sense' and waiting for the other motorist to complete their almost completed U turn rather than enforce their privilege to the right of way.

Tonner Matt likes this.