Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1st day owning Ve and towtrucked home

Simso1

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve omega ute
Folks, just bought an omega v6 ute today, private sale and unfortunatley broke down on the maiden voyage home, got tow trucked home. Catostrophic failure.

So hello and I have a question.

Pretty sure timing belt has failed, is there recommended brands of belts etc. My son is an auto mechanic and Im an ex aircraft engine mechanic.

Long story short, driving 90 on the freeway got a engine light and a centre display check oil, i put the indicator on and changed across two lanes, as changing across the lanes, lost acceleration power and then massive clunking banging from the engine, i switched the motor of and coasted off the highway.

checked oil and it was good, no leaks under the car etc, went to start car, it started instantly but large banging clunking sounds like a thrown bearing

got tow trucked home, son ran some codes and they point to misfires and timing issues, he started and instantly turned it off, said its likely timing belt and its so bad it can possibly jump a tooth so dont run it, anyone had something simliar happen?

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
It could be chains,
But it does sound a bit worse than just chains,
If the check oil indication illuminated, I would say its the oil pump,
then a lack of oil
Engines usually seize without warning on VE's,
But you wont really know till you start to pull it down.

Last edited:

blackvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS, VE SS ute, VZ SS crewman, VYSS, VX SS, VTSS
Folks, just bought an omega v6 ute today, private sale and unfortunatley broke down on the maiden voyage home, got tow trucked home. Catostrophic failure.

So hello and I have a question.

Pretty sure timing belt has failed, is there recommended brands of belts etc. My son is an auto mechanic and Im an ex aircraft engine mechanic.

Long story short, driving 90 on the freeway got a engine light and a centre display check oil, i put the indicator on and changed across two lanes, as changing across the lanes, lost acceleration power and then massive clunking banging from the engine, i switched the motor of and coasted off the highway.

checked oil and it was good, no leaks under the car etc, went to start car, it started instantly but large banging clunking sounds like a thrown bearing

got tow trucked home, son ran some codes and they point to misfires and timing issues, he started and instantly turned it off, said its likely timing belt and its so bad it can possibly jump a tooth so dont run it, anyone had something simliar happen?
VE motors can be a pain and a 2nd hand one might be just as bad,

If sons a mechanic do a little strip down see what issues are.

drop oil look for metal, pull a valve cover off and loom for sludging issues

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
With the skills you two have, you will easily end up with a VE running better than most.

You will need to pull down the top and front of the motor to find out.

If not flogged out pump, easily blocked oil galleries if it’s been poorly maintained.

Misfires will have all sorts of causes, timing can as well.
There is a tech bulletin on the crank angle reference points on the crank moving on some.

To be sure, get watching some of the tear down videos, a good oil pump, and timing chain kit, set aside a weekend with the young bloke and should all be sweet.

Good chance to drop some cams in too.

Check over the valves, springs etc and valve stem seals while it’s all open.

Do the PCV mod. There’s a thread in the how to section of this forum.

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SV6, 2010 International, 1996 VS Exec
You need to pull the sump and pickup as well as I guarantee some of your answers lie there waiting for you to find.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Welcome to VE ownership and WOW that doesn't sound like a nice drive home. Did you test drive it?
As everyone has said, it sounds serious so to do it properly I'd say bite the bullet and just pull the rocker covers, timing cover and sump. From there you can have a good look at everything and figure out if it's slack chains or oil sludge causing starvation.

Simso1

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve omega ute
Yep, test drove it the day before, in 40 years of driving have never had an engine go from sounds and runs good to a minute later clunking and banging

to me it sounds like its dropped a big end bearing or the chains jumped a tooth and smashed the valve into the pistons, my son reckons its likely just the chain.

he ran codes, got a dozen or so, mis fires, timing issues all things that point to a timing chain