Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2 post hoist

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I'd love a hoist but I don't have the height or width in the garage and I bet the concrete floor wouldn't be strong enough either :(

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
What's the min height walls you need for a hoist? Or could you say go 10.5m x 10.5m x3m with three doors and a 22deg pitch roof?

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
What's the min height walls you need for a hoist? Or could you say go 10.5m x 10.5m x3m with three doors and a 22deg pitch roof?
You would have to go baseplate, put it in the middle and wouldnt be able to lift most/all vehicles all the way up

Drag lc

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I've got a 4488d short 4 post molnar hoist for my home it was expensive but i was not comfortable in getting under my cars on a cheap chinese hoist.

i brought it and fitted it myself i had concrete beams in floor as i knew the location it was going to go when i was having my shed built.

i got the short one as my shed is only 6m long and most cars that use hoist are small early holdens, although a full size commodore or fairline have no issue on the hoist.

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline

I built my shed with a hoist in mind. 6” concrete, 3m wall height, 22 degree pitch on roof, 7m deep, 8m wide. I calculated this for a commodore to fit comfortably on the hoist at full height. With these measurements I wouldn’t be able to lift a 4WD to full height though.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Been looking at hoists tonight. I am thinking Tufflift as they have decent reviews. I was looking at a drop in pads one but I think I will need screw in pads, is that right? Screw in pads do add around a $1000 or more to the price though but I can't see the ute sitting level with drop in only pads? I am hoping I can have my shed up late this year. I talked about having a pit in another thread or hoist but I have 3.5m walls on this shed and a 17deg roof so the ute will fit underneath no worries as I am not overly tall at only 5'10". A pit is over $1000 to build doing it yourself and you need to erect the shed before it goes in or it will never pass the inspection.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
sorry took a while as cable is either in conduit or up in roof purlins
but it is 4mm

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
sorry took a while as cable is either in conduit or up in roof purlins
but it is 4mm
Thanks Mate, I'm looking at a TuffLift most likely, and found out they run a 15a circuit. So single outlet with 2.5mm2 will suffice. Having said that if I have to use 4mm2 and a 20a RCD I can soon swap over the RCD at L&H and the cable the sparky might supply anyway. When he comes in to do the shed fit off I will double check if he wants a heavier circuit.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
i think the distance came into it as well
total length of cable for mine would be around 26metres to 30metres
from fuse board to hoist motor
hmmmm, is it still called a fuse board when it has breakers instead of fuses