Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2005 VZ sv6 slight overheating issues

jd71

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 sv6
cap seemed to have done the job, didnt get over 98 degrees driving over 40km with a pretty warm day 25 degrees, the level under pressure cap is higher then it was before with other cap as well, near to top actually.

jd71

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 sv6
I've tried 2 of those aftermarket pressure caps and neither worked properly just like what you've found. I've stopped using them now and only buy caps at Holden.
Fans normally come on around half way in the temp gauge.
yeh the tridant one seems to have fixed the problem but if there was a holden one there I guess I would have grabbed it.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I mean from a Holden dealer but if your tridon one works your lucky. When you get the chance have a feel of the pressure in some other cars radiator hose and compare to yours.

jd71

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 sv6
I mean from a Holden dealer but if your tridon one works your lucky. When you get the chance have a feel of the pressure in some other cars radiator hose and compare to yours.
How did yours react with the non genuine cap?
I'll do it didnt feel that hard when I felt it. But driving 45 minutes on a warm day yesterday and coming home and the temp was 99, thermo fans didnt even cut in, seemed to feel pretty good, must be cooling the thing surely? Also going to change the oil on Wed with 5w30 nulon full synthetic as my oil is well overdue to be changed. Probably still need to bleed the system although if its up to the pressure cap then thats ok right?

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Changing the oil will be good for it but probably won't effect the cooling.
The system still needs bleeding as air can be trapped in the top of the radiator that can't get up to the cap to escape. Bleeding is quite easy. It only takes a few seconds.
With the tridon cap mine ran ok but the system wouldn't pressurise so it wouldn't cool 100%. I checked everything for leaks over a few weeks then eventually bought a cap from Holden. I put it on straight away and it built up heaps more pressure by the time I got home 15 minutes later. Works perfectly now.

jd71

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 sv6
Just an update I changed the oil, but there is a crack in coolant reservoir, so when the car gets warm it can't use the coolant reserve properly, I bought a new one, just need to put it in, I'll have to use the neighbours ramps, looks a bitch to get to the screws. Can't seem to find a tutorial on it but hopefuly the neighbour can help me.

jd71

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 sv6
So the coolant reservoir wasn't cracked, bought new one for nothing. However the old one was nearly full of coolant, like two litres plus. So could this have been the reason for it getting warmer? I've topped coolant up to the correct mark, driven it for an hour or so I can't tell if it's any better.
I'm trying to work out what is normal heat? Yesterday I got home and it was only 81 degrees the coolant and the day wasn't that cold, so that was pretty promising.

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Where does it sit on the gauge now?
If the level in the reseviore was high it won't cause a cooking problem, more likely just overflow and make a mess.

Is the system holding pressure now?

jd71

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 sv6
Where does it sit on the gauge now?
If the level in the reseviore was high it won't cause a cooking problem, more likely just overflow and make a mess.

Is the system holding pressure now?

It sits at second notch after I've been driving for about ten minutes. Should the car smell hot at the grill after you've been driving?, the temp today after a 20 minute drive coolant was 92 I think, then I sat in my car for ten minutes in garage engine off to see what it would do it slowly went to 96 and that was about it.

I can definitely feel pressure in that hose at front of radiator cap. The hottest it's got previously when I was stopping at lights on a 25 degree day, it was a fraction over second notch, but I could definitely smell coolant, which would have been it going everywhere I imagine. I guess I'll wait for a hot day and see what it does.