Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2008 sv6 ute, buying advice

matt30186

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SV6 Wagon
2010 sv6 ute, buying advice

gday guys.

i drive a ford at the moment!

now that i've got that out of the way, im looking at a 2008 ATOMIC sv6 60th anniversary edition ute in manual, with a double hump hard lid.

it has 80,000 kms on the clock.

i asked about the service history and he says it was serviced normally until 23,000 kms, then had a BIG GAP until 60,000kms, and it has been serviced normally from then until 80 where it sits now.

its at a dealer, his sticker price is 24,990. with a trade of my ford falcon 2004 xt with 150,000kms, he has asked for a changeover of 18,500.

thoughts? too many kms? service history a big concern?

edit -

now looking for SIDI engine!

Last edited:

The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Storm MY14
Firstly I just wanna get this out of the way as well.

Congratulations for waking up.

Next is there any warranty that the dealer is offering. If so, how much.

The kms seems about right for the age. A bit on the high side but not that bad

I would suggest you push the fact that it's missing it service history for such a massive gap

I.e essentially it only had 2 services before missing 3 technically if you go via holdens recommended service pattern

Also being you can get a brand new one for 32990 list price at the moment I would go to Holden and see what you can get their price too then use that as a leg up in your negotiations

PM me if you need more help with the negotiations as I am only in Sydney so could be a bit of help to you if you need it

bladerunner

"needs a bit'a nitrous"
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS UTE & a 71' deltek rockhopper
60th ann utes are normally a good buy, with the extras you get (i brought one new back then then traded it on a ss). BUT that gap in servicing is a worry. alloytecs are notorious sludgers if not maintained. timing chains can be a bother too but im not sure which models there, better off asking some alloytec guys. you could get a sidi engined sv6 -210kw vs 195 alloytec,2nd hand for very little more. k's are a bit high but not too bad but personally i'd keep looking.
EDIT bugger!! dark knight beat me to it lol

Phantom6 SportWagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY10 SIDI Sportwagon
if your going to ask about dealer warranty find out what it covers, AND DONT PAY EXTRA for it as that is a big money grab and if you happen to get a problem they will tell you its not covered by warranty.
I Personally would never get dealer warranty its not worth the money the warranties printed on.

And have you looked around much? im sure their would be some other utes with service history for that price?

matt30186

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SV6 Wagon
I managed to get a 2011 thunder down to 30,500 with the trade but that's still pretty expensive! And apart from this green one im struggling to find many!

matt30186

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SV6 Wagon
They offered 3 month warranty due to it being a commercial vehicle. So with the high kms and poor service history strike it off the list you reckon? I love the green and the hard top! It's at Dale Ford in Bankstown if anyone wants to shoot to their website to look at it.

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
mate, stay away from it.. might possibly be ok if you think it drives ok... but almost 40,000km's without a service is asking for trouble. I've got the exact same car cept in voodoo and im surprised they are holding they're value that well.

Phantom6 SportWagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY10 SIDI Sportwagon
I agree with Kuzman, stay away its alot of money to take a chance on a car with a 40,000km gap in service history IMO

RIP 05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ sedan
Firstly I just wanna get this out of the way as well.

Congratulations for waking up.

Next is there any warranty that the dealer is offering. If so, how much.

The kms seems about right for the age. A bit on the high side but not that bad

I would suggest you push the fact that it's missing it service history for such a massive gap

I.e essentially it only had 2 services before missing 3 technically if you go via holdens recommended service pattern

Also being you can get a brand new one for 32990 list price at the moment I would go to Holden and see what you can get their price too then use that as a leg up in your negotiations

PM me if you need more help with the negotiations as I am only in Sydney so could be a bit of help to you if you need it

Listen to this fella

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Honestly, for that money, I'd look at new, if you can stretch the coin. The other thing to think about is that the VEs are famous for chewing out suspension components as OE is, to be blunt, crap. With a dodgy service history it is unlikely that there will be a record of what has been done to the car, but the dealership should be able to track down the warranty history of the car which should give you some idea as to what has been replaced and what hasn't and may give you an idea of where you stand with what is likely to need replacing in the near future. You may find that the potential outlay in parts for a car of that mileage (assuming nothing has been replaced since new) would cover the gap between it's price and that of a new ute. Just my thoughts - I have an 08 SS and am well aware of what is likely to fail. Having said all that - it is the colour to get!