Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2010 VE SV6 cycling droning noise whilst driving and caster problem

dogbolter357

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6 Commodore
Hi All,

This is my first time posting, I'm hoping someone can help with some problems I've been having.

I have a 2010 VE SV6 for about 6 weeks and am just getting used to it.

I have noticed that I'm getting a cycling droning noise occurring at about 1500 rpm, whilst maintaing contstant speed (around 70-80Kms/hr), not accelerating or decelerating, quite evident on a smooth highway. Not something you really hear with the noise occurring about once every second but I do feel it occurring. I does sound very much like trye noise, but I believe have ruled that out by changing the tyres.

I initially though it might have been the crappy Hercules Raptis tyres that were on it when I bought it but I have changed them today to Khumo KU21 but have not improved the situation.

Also, the tyre place checked the wheel bearings and they appear fine. The only other thing that was found during the wheel alignment was that the caster angle on the left hand side was out by 2 degrees, any ideas on that one either? The car still steers straight, the alignment mechanic took it for a drive and was surprised. I do not know the history of the car and cannot rule out a hit. Caster is apparently not adjustable on the front (rear is curiously though), is there aftermarket addons available to allow caster corrections?

Any opinions/experience anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
dogbolter357

Mattk101

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve sv6 sidi 2010
I thought caster would be adjustable front only, isn't it with relation in angle to arms? More caster/degrees the bigger angle, giving you less initial turn in and more on exit.

Unless it being out too much causes it to rub on something, don't know what that could be but. What's caster do on the rear? Less squatting?

Can you tell where the noise is coming from? Front rear? Left right side?

dogbolter357

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6 Commodore
It sounds like coming from the front left to me, co-incidence?

I would have though the caster would be front adjustable, but the alignment tech is certain there is no adjustment. He's an old timer, been around wheel alignments a long time so I have to reason to disbelieve him.

dogbolter357

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6 Commodore
No reason to disbelieve the tech it should read.

Also, it's the not first Commodore to not have adjustable caster, my VY wasn't unless you put in aftermarket adjustable radius rod arm bushes in yourself.

Mattk101

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve sv6 sidi 2010
I forgot you got a wheel alignment, no offense to the old guy but maybe try another tyre place? I'm pretty sure there wouldn't be adjustable caster in the rear, it just wouldn't work because the rears don't do the turning.

And if the front caster is out there is no way they should of done a wheel alignment, if caster is out it will pull to one side, so the wheel alignment would only compensate for the caster being out, so if you fixed caster then it would pull to one side again.

Was it pulling to one side to begin with? If not then probably not caster, 2 degrees is alot to be out, you would notice that.

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
www.devildrake.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
Even though the wheel bearings got checked, mine sort of Hummed/droned as they were going.. Just my input.

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
Yeah wheel bearings are hard to pick when they're first starting to go.
One option is to put up with the noise (hard I know) until it gets worse and easier to pinpoint.

stirringaxe

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi dogbolter & welcome to the forum. The noise you describe is also happening with my Calais V. I had also thought it was the tyres but replaced them only to find it wasn't that. Then checked the wheel bearings & told they were fine. Still don't know what it is but will be changing driveshaft soon to rule that out ????
I also had a poor caster reading on the front. Was out by 2 degrees & was told it couldn't be adjusted. Went elsewhere and they fitted a readily available after-market adjustable caster kit which sorted the steering out nicely. Mine was pulling to the left badly.

Mattk101

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve sv6 sidi 2010
Did they say how yours was out Stirringaxe ? Mistake from factory ? Or wear?

dogbolter357

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6 Commodore
Thanks Stirringaxe,

Curious how even though my caster appears out, my car doesn't pull left. I had rung one suspension supply place and they said what they had was only good for 1 degree adjustment. Haven't looked any further yet. Not sure if warranty covers caster problems.

I was concerned the cycling noise might be gearbox or driveline. Car's still under statutory warranty at the moment then the remainder of new car. Hope Holden can repair it. More worried they "won't be able to fault it"