Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2010 VE SV6 cycling droning noise whilst driving and caster problem

Mattk101

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve sv6 sidi 2010
Was it still tracking straight before wheel alignment ? You can rule the caster being out if it was most likely. Unless car has had a ding with previous owner could of bumped a few things out of whack. Holden should fix it for you, hopefully. That's if like you said they can find a fault. Their notorious for that unfortunately, unless it's something they can charge the customer for then they have definately found something lol

dogbolter357

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6 Commodore
Yeah car tracked fine before the alignment. Only got the alignment checked because i was replacing the tyres.

stirringaxe

Reaction score
Members Ride
My caster issue seemed to be just bad build ? No evidence of any damage anywhere on the car.

dogbolter357

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6 Commodore
Thanks Stirringaxe,

Do you happen to know how they fixed your caster issues?

Regards,
dogbolter357

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
Hi All,

This is my first time posting, I'm hoping someone can help with some problems I've been having.

I have a 2010 VE SV6 for about 6 weeks and am just getting used to it.

I have noticed that I'm getting a cycling droning noise occurring at about 1500 rpm, whilst maintaing contstant speed (around 70-80Kms/hr), not accelerating or decelerating, quite evident on a smooth highway. Not something you really hear with the noise occurring about once every second but I do feel it occurring. I does sound very much like trye noise, but I believe have ruled that out by changing the tyres.

I initially though it might have been the crappy Hercules Raptis tyres that were on it when I bought it but I have changed them today to Khumo KU21 but have not improved the situation.

Also, the tyre place checked the wheel bearings and they appear fine. The only other thing that was found during the wheel alignment was that the caster angle on the left hand side was out by 2 degrees, any ideas on that one either? The car still steers straight, the alignment mechanic took it for a drive and was surprised. I do not know the history of the car and cannot rule out a hit. Caster is apparently not adjustable on the front (rear is curiously though), is there aftermarket addons available to allow caster corrections?

Any opinions/experience anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
dogbolter357

Have you checked your exhaust system?
A small leak or damage might cause a drone. As well a loose connection somewhere or contact with the body of the car would be worth investigating.

dogbolter357

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6 Commodore
Just a follow up,

Got the car back from the Holden dealer yesterday, after being with them for 7 days!

First they tried to blame the tyres (as i suspected), even after they were told they had just been changed at a cost to me of $1000. Only after challenging them on that did they say, "oh it might be the front wheel bearing". I don't whether it is a known problem that they were already well aware (or if they were just guessing) but replacing the front left one seems to have fixed the problem. Still somewhat surprised though considering the frequency of the noises were not related wheel rotation frequency. So not really convinced, maybe there was another more serious problem they didn't want me to know about and so told me it was wheel bearing beacuse it sounded plausible.

Not overly impressed with Holden's customer service.

Can anyone confirm/deny getting Warranty logbook services done by your own mechanic won't cause other Warranty issues should they occur later. Did ask the dealer if that was OK, they said it was but I suppose you never know what they'll do to squirm out of a Warranty repair.

Thanks to everyone for their advice.

Regards,
dogbolter357

VH Vacationer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega V6
Yep

Just a follow up,

Got the car back from the Holden dealer yesterday, after being with them for 7 days!

First they tried to blame the tyres (as i suspected), even after they were told they had just been changed at a cost to me of $1000. Only after challenging them on that did they say, "oh it might be the front wheel bearing". I don't whether it is a known problem that they were already well aware (or if they were just guessing) but replacing the front left one seems to have fixed the problem. Still somewhat surprised though considering the frequency of the noises were not related wheel rotation frequency. So not really convinced, maybe there was another more serious problem they didn't want me to know about and so told me it was wheel bearing beacuse it sounded plausible.

Not overly impressed with Holden's customer service.

Can anyone confirm/deny getting Warranty logbook services done by your own mechanic won't cause other Warranty issues should they occur later. Did ask the dealer if that was OK, they said it was but I suppose you never know what they'll do to squirm out of a Warranty repair.

Thanks to everyone for their advice.

Regards,
dogbolter357

Get your car serviced by any reputable repairer...should be no probs with warranty...

I have just bought a 2008 Omega...same rumbling noises as you go along a Hwy...I suspect the Potenzas...but also interested to know if a Camber Kit is available for the rear...UNLOWERED!! LOL :)