Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2014 VF V6 Calais, is it worth it?

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
IMHO upgrading the suspension and diff on a Calais would be easier than upgrading all the creature comforts on a SV6. Suspension will need replacement at some stage, so it‘s almost an inevitable upgrade. So, personally I reckon a Calais is a better buy.

However, “the market“ can be strange and it seems that the luxury models don’t seem to hold their value as well as the sporty models. But the flip side to this is the luxury models are probably better value/buying on the secondhand market.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
IMHO upgrading the suspension and diff on a Calais would be easier than upgrading all the creature comforts on a SV6.
What are the creature comforts? A V has more stuff than the "base" one, but the "base" Calais really only has the pushbutton start over the SV6 (which I think the SV6 got in VF2?) ... dunnit?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
What are the creature comforts? A V has more stuff than the "base" one, but the "base" Calais really only has the pushbutton start over the SV6 (which I think the SV6 got in VF2?) ... dunnit?

for a start heated and cooled seats? also the passengers seat is full electric.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
for a start heated and cooled seats? also the passengers seat is full electric.
I'm fairly sure both of those are in the V, not the "base" Calais.
May have changed by VF2, I only checked MY15 specs (as we were talking primarily about VF in this thread).

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
Yes, this is what I have been trying to recall…I remember thinking at the time that the non-V Calais held nothing special… just the impression of some luxury for those who didn’t want the sportier look nor the FE2 ride.
Word of warning to anyone buying any model VF1/2…don’t assume any specs nor take the listed features in an ad for any of these as accurate….there were considerable variations across the range in the last MY iterations.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes, this is what I have been trying to recall…I remember thinking at the time that the non-V Calais held nothing special… just the impression of some luxury for those who didn’t want the sportier look nor the FE2 ride.
Word of warning to anyone buying any model VF1/2…don’t assume any specs nor take the listed features in an ad for any of these as accurate….there were considerable variations across the range in the last MY iterations.
I actually think that blurbs/spiels at the time were about 99.5% accurate, you just need to be careful not to read something about one year & assume it's the same for every other year ... stuff like how the MY15 Calais (non-V) didn't have SatNav by default, whereas it did by MY17.

A lot of that stuff you need to check the individual car, eg. just because a MY15 car didn't get SatNav by default doesn't mean someone didn't get it as an option or get a dealer to chuck it in as a bargaining-point. So I agree in that those specs are probably not more than a guide to someone looking to buy used now.

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
I actually think that blurbs/spiels at the time were about 99.5% accurate, you just need to be careful not to read something about one year & assume it's the same for every other year ... stuff like how the MY15 Calais (non-V) didn't have SatNav by default, whereas it did by MY17.

A lot of that stuff you need to check the individual car, eg. just because a MY15 car didn't get SatNav by default doesn't mean someone didn't get it as an option or get a dealer to chuck it in as a bargaining-point. So I agree in that those specs are probably not more than a guide to someone looking to buy used now.
True Forg….I’m referring to current online ads..sometimes they are deliberately misleading but others will be most likely unintentionally incorrect.
eg a mate who bought a MY16 SV6 a couple of years back was disappointed it didn’t have HUD (yes, he could have checked more carefully but he also had trouble finding a clean, low km one). In the SV6, HUD only started with the Black Edition some months into 2016 and then went on to be standard equipment for the SV6 later that year. Similar story with satnav….although MYLink maps are becoming so outdated it hardly matters…