Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I have a 14 Calais v6 and want to know if it’s worth getting an exhaust

Notacarguy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf Calais 2014 v6
Hi guys, new here, I got a vf calais 2014 and I want it to sound decent. I know a v6 won’t sound amazing but surely I can get a nice-ish note. Is it worth getting a cat back or could I change the rear mufflers and would that give a decent sound ?

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore
Dont

Seriously, dont

You WILL get nothing but drone, and sound like a rolling fart machine

The ONLY exhaust mod that is acceptable on a HFV6 is to get the twin tip mufflers from a VE/VF1 SS that had AFM (Active Fuel Management), so its a single outlet to quad tips. And it's purely to get the quad tips to fill out the bumper cutouts. It won't change your exhaust note

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
There is nothing much worse than someone trying to make a v6 sound good. I nearly break into tears every time I hear one go passed. I can only assume they want their car to sound like a v8.

Sell it and buy a v8.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
You have an exhaust.
Stay with it.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I wonder how hard a VW R36-spec 3.6L would be to fit?
They sound good … :)

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
The best sounding VF V6 I've heard, was an SV6 with piped cats and stock exhaust. It was slightly louder and deeper than stock to sound as if the exhaust was modified and wonder what's on it, as the note wasn't farty or obnoxious like a typical bolt on.

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
Dont

Seriously, dont

You WILL get nothing but drone, and sound like a rolling fart machine

The ONLY exhaust mod that is acceptable on a HFV6 is to get the twin tip mufflers from a VE/VF1 SS that had AFM (Active Fuel Management), so its a single outlet to quad tips. And it's purely to get the quad tips to fill out the bumper cutouts. It won't change your exhaust note
This…..

The AFM mufflers are slightly louder than the stock V6 ones mainly at mid to high RPM

I tried it as I wanted twin tips.

I put the stock single tip muffflers back on

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Most of them don't just sound like a fart, they sound like they followed through.
I reckon if you collected the engine pipes into 3" single at the front and into 3" oval muffler around 18" long before the tunnel brace and then split it back to dual with big rear mufflers, you'd get rid of the farty V6 note and sound more like a red motor or inline 6. Trick exhausts on a VF V6 would take me some serious inspiration to be bothered doing it. I think the V6 dual exhaust is best left stock!