Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

chanterz.vt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt
Hi everyone,
I have an oil leak that u have had rear main seal done rocker cover gaskets done inlet manifold gasket done and still leaking oil in the same place.
Every time I take it back to the mechanic he tells me something else and more money he's rechecked the main seal apparently and it's all good from being replaced.
I'm attaching some photos the best I could the blue circle in one of the photos is where the oil drip is coming from on the concrete very hard to see where it's dripping from hopefully someone can help me.
Going absolutely crazy

Attachments

• 20230818_174408.jpg
    20230818_174408.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 80

JSVSouth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina / WH Statesman
Does it look like engine oil or ATF? Could be torque converter seal.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I know it's not super helpful, you need another mechanic. It's not hard to scrub it up shiny and then see where oil is coming from. There's not that many places and it seems yours is just working through them on your coin

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Engine sump gasket?

Looking at the first pic there is oil gunk on/under the rear of the sump/transmission brace arms. Degrease that whole area and then see what is going on.

chanterz.vt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt
I know it's not super helpful, you need another mechanic. It's not hard to scrub it up shiny and then see where oil is coming from. There's not that many places and it seems yours is just working through them on your coin
That's what I am wondering that he's playing on a female trying to get more money from me and I've had enough.
He's going to check it tomorrow and see what it could be, I'm hoping he's going to be honest and it's something under warranty if he tells me it's something else I'm going to another mechanic and hopefully don't have to pay twice for something he's apparently fixed

chanterz.vt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt
Engine sump gasket?

Looking at the first pic there is oil gunk on/under the rear of the sump/transmission brace arms. Degrease that whole area and then see what is going on.
Ok I will ask this hopefully not dodgy mechanic 2degrees the Lott as I'm not sure what else it could be.
Just strange oil keeps coming from exactly the same spot in my garage floor. everytime I get the oil leak fixed ID degrees the concrete, I parked the car in exactly the same spot every time and it keeps marking same spot.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
That's what I am wondering that he's playing on a female trying to get more money from me and I've had enough.
He's going to check it tomorrow and see what it could be, I'm hoping he's going to be honest and it's something under warranty if he tells me it's something else I'm going to another mechanic and hopefully don't have to pay twice for something he's apparently fixed
Either that or he's lazy. Going for the common issues and hoping for the best. I'll admit at times an issue I've had has just led to me replacing common items before I put the effort into a proper diagnosis. Roll the dice

chanterz.vt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt
Either that or he's lazy. Going for the common issues and hoping for the best. I'll admit at times an issue I've had has just led to me replacing common items before I put the effort into a proper diagnosis. Roll the dice
I hope he's not doing that because I can't afford a guessing game anymore.
If he tries to tell me tomorrow it's another problem and more cash I'm going somewhere else.. I just hope if that happens when I see another mechanic they don't tell me it's something I've paid this other guy for and I end up having to pay twice.

Can't they put a dye in the oil to help locate the oil leak?

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
One suggestion, from someone who spent $'000s over the years trying (unsuccessfully) to fix an oil leak from the rear of the engine in his VS Calais V8, is to just leave the leak alone. Purchase a flat drip pan to stop the mess on the concrete and just spray the leak area with degreaser periodically. Not really worthwhile spending a lot of money trying to fix an oil leak on an old car. Might seem a bit like defeatism, but you have already spent a lot of money, time and worry on this issue, and should consider cutting your losses. At the end of the day, the leak is not a bad one and won't stop you getting enjoyment out of your ride.