Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

4L60E tranny fluid level

sydsider

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE Omega
Well there you go. The 4L60e fitted VE have a tens dipstick. If only they did that on the others.

VEs generally don’t have dipsticks. Fluid is checked via an inspection plug in the top of the pan.

Looks like the low spec models had a dipstick early on in production.

Top of the pan is interesting
6 litres is waaay to much.
Should be about 4.5 from memory. Just go by what the dip stick says. It's either wet or dry. There's no half wet, and there isn't 2 levels.
Out of curiosity which fluid did you use? Please don't say low vis!
I found your reply to a post when i was checking out the Low vis business and found this from you in 2018.

Yep, I put LV in my VE and it started slipping... so I drained it and used FS instead and all good.

Whats the FS for future reference?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
They are both Penrite labels.
Their FS (Full Syn) appears to be basically a synthetic dextron 3. So it's slightly thicker than dex6 or low vis and seems to be much better suited to the 4 speed. Several others have had the same issue with slipping over the years and had to drain low vis fluid out.
Not surprising since the Penrite site recommend the low vis fluid and so does repco sales staff.
All thanks to Holden's 1 size fits all fluid recommendation, and aftermarket brands labeling tricks.
Interestingly I'm fairly sure genuine gm dex6 works ok. But when I spoke to the local trans guru he had convulsions at the thought of putting dex6 in a 4l60/65 box and went on a rant about worn clutches, slipping, burn out...
Nulon ful syn runs the best in my car, that's what I've found.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I ran Penrite LV for years in our 4L60e and for the most part it seemed ok but under high loads I'm sure it was slipping. On it's last big service I went back to Penrite DXIII and I'm sure the transmission is happier for it. I think under high load it's not slipping anywhere as badly as before :eek:

trel

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VXII Equipe Wagon
Everyone talks up Penrite like it's the best thing since sliced bread, but honestly every vehicle I've used it in (trans, engine etc.) none like any of it it. Nulon in my opinion is the best. My Ecotec loves it, quietened the hell out of it after I dumped the Penrite. Just my opinion and not based on any science

sydsider

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE Omega
They are both Penrite labels.
Their FS (Full Syn) appears to be basically a synthetic dextron 3. So it's slightly thicker than dex6 or low vis and seems to be much better suited to the 4 speed. Several others have had the same issue with slipping over the years and had to drain low vis fluid out.
Not surprising since the Penrite site recommend the low vis fluid and so does repco sales staff.
All thanks to Holden's 1 size fits all fluid recommendation, and aftermarket brands labeling tricks.
Interestingly I'm fairly sure genuine gm dex6 works ok. But when I spoke to the local trans guru he had convulsions at the thought of putting dex6 in a 4l60/65 box and went on a rant about worn clutches, slipping, burn out...
Nulon ful syn runs the best in my car, that's what I've found.
No worries.
Yeah i was reading on here about issues with dex6 before i changed it.
If it starts slipping ill pump out as much as i can get through the tranny line and do another service with dex3. Ive pumped out recently in a TJ Magna so i know about that deal.

sydsider

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE Omega
I ran Penrite LV for years in our 4L60e and for the most part it seemed ok but under high loads I'm sure it was slipping. On it's last big service I went back to Penrite DXIII and I'm sure the transmission is happier for it. I think under high load it's not slipping anywhere as badly as before :eek:
I think its all marketing BS like usual.
Holden must know about the slipping with dex6.

sydsider

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE Omega
Everyone talks up Penrite like it's the best thing since sliced bread, but honestly every vehicle I've used it in (trans, engine etc.) none like any of it it. Nulon in my opinion is the best. My Ecotec loves it, quietened the hell out of it after I dumped the Penrite. Just my opinion and not based on any science
I used Nulon 5w30 with an oil change last week, and i think i can hear a slight tappet sound that wasnt there before. Ive had it for a year so i dont know what was in it before.
Maybe a little thicker considering its done 280,000kms.

trel

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VXII Equipe Wagon
280km motor that's too thin. I use Nulon 20/50 high km oil, runs buttery smooth for me. I just ticked over 230km.

sydsider

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE Omega
280km motor that's too thin. I use Nulon 20/50 high km oil, runs buttery smooth for me. I just ticked over 230km.
I thought id try that first with the intention to move to nulon 10w30 in 6 months at next oil change if it still made noise, and see how that goes. Its only slight but i can notice it compared to before the oil change. It wasnt there before. If its still doing it and i havent upgraded by then ill move up again to 20w50.

Or is the oil from Holden better than the Nulon?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I used Nulon 5w30 with an oil change last week, and i think i can hear a slight tappet sound that wasnt there before. Ive had it for a year so i dont know what was in it before.
Maybe a little thicker considering its done 280,000kms.
Engine oils are a whole other story. I would never use 5w30 in an Alloytec in Australia unless it's purely a local driving shopping trolley.
Always used 5w40 in mine. Runs like a dream and always has for over 10 years wether it's middle of winter or 45 degree summer scorcher. The original synpower, it's awesome stuff.