Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

4L60E tranny fluid level

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
my ecotec likes 5w30
my pontiac likes 10w40
my daughters m3 likes 5w30
the allotec likes something in the middle
rather than buying more oil i just mix it

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
my ecotec likes 5w30
my pontiac likes 10w40
my daughters m3 likes 5w30
the allotec likes something in the middle
rather than buying more oil i just mix it
I read this is not good. I have left over 5w that I'd like to use up. I wanted to mix it with the same Nulon but 10w but read it's bad for the engine. I couldn't work out why though?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
It's probably an old wives tale about mixing oil. Different brands use different additives or more likely the same additives in different quantities.

Reactions: Lex

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
i have been mixing grades of oils for over 40 years
a left over habit from flat tappet camshafts
chasing hp without tappet noise

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Bugger it then. I will use up the 3/4 of a litre of 5w I have to spare, which will mean my current stocks will see me have enough for two oil changes. :)

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Bugger it then. I will use up the 3/4 of a litre of 5w I have to spare, which will mean my current stocks will see me have enough for two oil changes. :)
3/4 of a litre, you made me laugh honestly :) Use it for your next top up or mixed fill as you said.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I read this is not good. I have left over 5w that I'd like to use up. I wanted to mix it with the same Nulon but 10w but read it's bad for the engine. I couldn't work out why though?
When I have discussed very similar questions with oil techs in the past the answers they would give you, if they did reccomend against your proposal would be absolutely weak as water.
I asked them about a similar issue with trans fluid, doing a pan off service and fill with new fluid. The answer they gave was oh well that should be fine but we don't know what state the other left over fluid in the trans is, so we can't garantee the new fluids properties because it will be a mix of new and old blah blah blah ass covering load of crap. So you need to take it to a transmission shop and get the trans flushed and filled with new fluid to be safe and sure. Like what the heck I'm just servicing a 4 speed not building a formula 1 car.
So they would tell you, well we don't know exactly what mix you'll get so it might become a 7W38 or whatever and we haven't tested that grade so I'm not authorized to say...
They hate me cos I don't let them get away with taking the easy way out and half answering questions. ;)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
A few weeks ago I put some new (but old stock) turps into a old container with turps/paintbrushes. Next time I went to use the brushes the mix had turned to jelly, let that be a warning to all. Don't mix fluids..... LOL

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
We have all seen the videos of the tranny or oil pan coming down, and the moulder black jello just hanging there.

sydsider

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE Omega
One wonders why? There are so many grades on the market you really don't need to be doing any quasi bucket science in the garage. The manufacturers have already done it for you, they call it 5w40