Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5.7L Vs 6.0L ~ Worth it?

Emackulation

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
'92 HSV VP GTS
Hey guys and gals,

I have ventured far from my VN-VP thread area. I'm thinking of buying a VZ SS later down the track and trying to find out as much as I can to make the best decision. My main question is : Is it worth the extra money to buy a 6.0L version or is it just as good as the 5.7L? What do you guys think?

SICK SS

7L 427ci BABY
Reaction score
Members Ride
427 ci vu ss a4 ve ssv a6
mate go more cubes.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Mack, from what I've heard.. stock vs. stock the 6.0L is completely different to drive, and torque and power through the rev range is great compared to the 5.7L stock..

Not sure on modified though, I havent heard alot about how the 6.0L responds to modifications... Its designed for SUV's not performance cars like the LS2 6.0L but it would be hard to go wrong with 6 litres of V8 grunt.

Oh and check out SC to hear some notes... Its the one area the 5.7L wins out, in its note.

highlander_69r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SE
its like comparing a 253 to a 308, go the 6.0 if funds permitt

EvoVIIIJDM

Got Evo?
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Evo VIII JDM
Modified VN2nv no worries, a collegue of mine who lives in whyalla has a PWR supercharger set up on his vz 6L clubby, and its currently making 415rwkw dynoed.
5.7 is nice to turbo charge tho, they make good power is to be an understatement. Id have to say a 6l tho, after feeling this power of the chargd clubby i had an extremely large chubby.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
you sly dog highendrev lol......from what ive notice when i drove a 6 litre they just seem to have alot more balls over the gen3....they seem to have a wider powerband and its alot more useable unlike the gen 3 your ahve to rev it over 3500rpm to get the things to bloody move lol.....just my 2 cents

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Modified VN2nv no worries, a collegue of mine who lives in whyalla has a PWR supercharger set up on his vz 6L clubby, and its currently making 415rwkw dynoed.
5.7 is nice to turbo charge tho, they make good power is to be an understatement. Id have to say a 6l tho, after feeling this power of the chargd clubby i had an extremely large chubby.

I meant the standard 6.0L not the LS2 though because the standard 6.0L is designed for SUV's so it might not respond to cams, tunes etc. like a 5.7 or a LS2. Im sure they both do great though with mods, but who knows! I've seen a VZ SS with a vortech supercharger on it :) Dunno how it drove though... Looked bloody nice under the bonnet but :p

SICK SS

7L 427ci BABY
Reaction score
Members Ride
427 ci vu ss a4 ve ssv a6
Mack, from what I've heard.. stock vs. stock the 6.0L is completely different to drive, and torque and power through the rev range is great compared to the 5.7L stock..

Not sure on modified though, I havent heard alot about how the 6.0L responds to modifications... Its designed for SUV's not performance cars like the LS2 6.0L but it would be hard to go wrong with 6 litres of V8 grunt.

Oh and check out SC to hear some notes... Its the one area the 5.7L wins out, in its note.

the heads of the l76/l98 are off a suv motors and are a blody good head there were design of the 427 heads and produce great torque in conjuction with the l76 manifold with bigger intake runners in low rpm wich is why gm used them in suvs a mild cam in these motors are producing over 500 hp. This motor has alot more potentail then the ls2 motor.

Emackulation

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
'92 HSV VP GTS
Yeah, I was a bit concerned though after reading the new emissions laws thats why they brung out the 6.0L. I saw how the torque and power increased but still wanted to confirm that the 6.0L was the better option. :)