Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

82 vh ss

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
**** yeah looks like fun....i think ive seen some of your older vids a fair while ago!
what are some of the top speeds your making out there??...id love to hit the track and strip but I don't wana break anything lol

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
definitely lots of fun, I have posted a few videos up now of my track days.

It is rather intimidating at first - golden rules are drive within you & your cars limits and watch the mirrors.

I'm getting up to 190kph before the kink at the end of the straight. But the faster drivers/cars in my group probably got closer to 200kph. As a comparison, there's an old video on youtube with incar footage of Dick Johnson talking through a lap of Lakeside in his Grp A Mustang. I think he said he hit around 200kph before going through the kink. But jump forward to 1993 and he managed around 295kph in the 600+ hp EB Falcon! That thing exits the eastern loop onto the straight at nearly 200kph :)

Breakages are unfortunately probably something you need to be a little prepared for. I've been out to Lakeside 3 times now, had 2 failures. One was through my own lack of driving skill (I slid off the track and bent the panhard rod - nothing that a trolley jack couldn't fix!!) and last time out I had a really strange, yet to be explained rear uni-joint failure. Fortunately in both instances I was able to fix the problem at the track because it's a 2.5hr drive from the Lakeside back home lol :)

but yeah I highly recommend it!

budgieVH

get in shut up nd hang on
Reaction score
Members Ride
Injected 5ltr VH SL/E-VH Blue 202-GQ Nissan Patrol
Wow man,

you have been busy again, i always keep coming back here again.

Seen ya wrote something some where else in a different topic referring to the catch can, im gonna do your idea of the steelo or what ever inside it and devide it.
How did you connect the hoses? and did you go square or round tank and is it mounted near your air box there mate?

Cheers Daz

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
yep that's my square catch can (Drift brand from memory) attached to the side of the airbox
I basically just installed the catch can between the pcv and the throttle body hose ie pcv hose in and throttle body hose out.
Works really well, and by installing it in this manner, you still get engine vacuum assisting in drawing out crankcase fumes and it's perfectly legal because it remains a sealed system

And yeah use stainless steel wool inside the can to catch the oil droplets.

budgieVH

Reaction score
Members Ride
yep that's my square catch can (Drift brand from memory) attached to the side of the airbox
I basically just installed the catch can between the pcv and the throttle body hose ie pcv hose in and throttle body hose out.
Works really well, and by installing it in this manner, you still get engine vacuum assisting in drawing out crankcase fumes and it's perfectly legal because it remains a sealed system

And yeah use stainless steel wool inside the can to catch the oil droplets.

Hey fella, seen em at super cheap it's calibre or something, $70 but not sure if it has a divider in it or what ever.. yeah I didn't realise the 304 had em in both rockers I thought it was only the one so do I run both of them with a t peice to the can then one back to the throttle body or...? Sorry for the confusion

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
no you only run it to one of the hoses - the one with the pcv valve (passenger side on EFI 5L). Leave the other hose as is.
Essentially all you are doing is cutting the hose between the PCV valve and a ported vacuum (throttle body or carb fitting) and fitting the catch can between the two ends of the hose.

I've drawn up a crude schematic below. Hope it makes some sense

Crankcase fumes are drawn out of the engine with the aid of engine vacuum from the passenger side rocker cover (via the PCV valve). The PCV valve is basically a one way valve with a very basic integrated oil separator. The fumes are drawn back into the carby or throttle body and consumed by the engine through the intake. Obviously if you are pulling air out of the crankcase, you need a vent to allow fresh air back in. So the drivers side rocker cover outlet acts as a vent. It pulls air in from the atmosphere via the filter side of the throttle body or through a fibre glass filter in the air cleaner housing on the carb engine. The catch can is mounted in the middle of the PCV hose side, so that it catches any oil that gets picked up before it gets pulled (by engine vacuum) back into the intake.

PCV_zps2fb4172c.jpg

budgieVH

Reaction score
Members Ride
no you only run it to one of the hoses - the one with the pcv valve (passenger side on EFI 5L). Leave the other hose as is.
Essentially all you are doing is cutting the hose between the PCV valve and a ported vacuum (throttle body or carb fitting) and fitting the catch can between the two ends of the hose.

I've drawn up a crude schematic below. Hope it makes some sense

Crankcase fumes are drawn out of the engine with the aid of engine vacuum from the passenger side rocker cover (via the PCV valve). The PCV valve is basically a one way valve with a very basic integrated oil separator. The fumes are drawn back into the carby or throttle body and consumed by the engine through the intake. Obviously if you are pulling air out of the crankcase, you need a vent to allow fresh air back in. So the drivers side rocker cover outlet acts as a vent. It pulls air in from the atmosphere via the filter side of the throttle body or through a fibre glass filter in the air cleaner housing on the carb engine. The catch can is mounted in the middle of the PCV hose side, so that it catches any oil that gets picked up before it gets pulled (by engine vacuum) back into the intake.

PCV_zps2fb4172c.jpg

awesome, makes sense!, ill give it a go and tell ya how i go!

thanks for the help! im killing to get out in the vh still waiting on my t5 rebuild!

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
WHY oh WHY don't seat manufacturers stick to some sort of standardised friggin' seat bolt mounting positions....
This is my 3rd set of seats in this car (excluding the factory seats) - SAAS, Autotenica and now Cobra. The Cobra's are not even close to either of the previous seat mounts.

I've had to buy different 'universal' seat rails for each set of seats and a drill 3 different sets of holes in the floor mounting plates.
Really you'd think there would be some sort of agreement between the seat manufacturers to come up with some sort of universal fitting standard....

budgieVH

Reaction score
Members Ride
WHY oh WHY don't seat manufacturers stick to some sort of standardised friggin' seat bolt mounting positions....
This is my 3rd set of seats in this car (excluding the factory seats) - SAAS, Autotenica and now Cobra. The Cobra's are not even close to either of the previous seat mounts.

I've had to buy different 'universal' seat rails for each set of seats and a drill 3 different sets of holes in the floor mounting plates.
Really you'd think there would be some sort of agreement between the seat manufacturers to come up with some sort of universal fitting standard....

Maaaan,

Same problem with my is gq. There or no aftermarket brackets and no seats mount strait in with out modifying so I just stuck with the orginal ones but so UN comfy!

By the way, I got a catch can I just gotta figure out where to put it.. may have to go on drivers side! Argh!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
I had to order yet another set of seat rails from Revolution Race gear at $95 each...... these seats better last, I'm sick of replacing them and all the fabrication & costs associated with it.

Yeah I was struggling to find a place to stick my catch can, I eventually bolted it to the airbox which isn't ideal because it's very difficult to get a drain tray under it when I have to drain the oil out. So does your catch have internal baffling or do you have to modify it ?