Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

82 vh ss

budgieVH

get in shut up nd hang on
Reaction score
Members Ride
Injected 5ltr VH SL/E-VH Blue 202-GQ Nissan Patrol
Yeah I was struggling to find a place to stick my catch can, I eventually bolted it to the airbox which isn't ideal because it's very difficult to get a drain tray under it when I have to drain the oil out. So does your catch have internal baffling or do you have to modify it ?

The guy at Repco said yes it does and also has a filter.. get home open it up, no divider or filter. So I will just get some steel I have laying around fold it up drill some holes in it and stick it in the center as I can take the bottom off the box..

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

budgieVH

get in shut up nd hang on
Reaction score
Members Ride
Injected 5ltr VH SL/E-VH Blue 202-GQ Nissan Patrol
lol typical... :)
but yeah it's not a difficult modification - it's worth the effort

Haha yes, I'm putting it on hold for themoment. Might be getting a torque power low rise dual plane manifold and a 1000cfm throttle body

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
new tyres turned up on Thursday. I usually don't get very excited over tyres, but this is the first set I've ever bought that could be considered a serious performance upgrade

Toyo R1R. Fairly much street legal track tyres. 140 wear factor so they won't last long on the street, but the VH only probably does 1500km per year at most, so I'm willing to sacrifice some durability for increased track performance. Either way, I killed a near new set of street tyres in 3 track days, these tyres should fare a lot better on the track, so if I'm doing a few track days I should get a similar life when you include the reduced street wear

Retail price for these suckers is $360 per tyre, I could get them delivered to my door from NSW for $275 per tyre including freight. Thought I give the local Toyo dealer out (Tyrepower) here an opportunity to quote. They quoted me $265 per tyre fitted, balanced and with new valve stems. They also did a great job balancing the wheels. Since fitting the Grp A brakes, I've had problems with wheel weight clearances on the front wheels. This guy can balance wheels just using one set of weights on the inside edge of the wheel rather than needing the outer set which fouls with my calipers.

Now I just need to get the seat rail adapter plates made up so I can fit the new Cobra seats and this thing should be ready for the road again. I haven't driven it since my last stint at Lakeside, keen to take it for a drive again!

tyres_zps1e633c79-1.jpg

Last edited:

drewVHSS

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
stores.ebay.com.au
Members Ride
'83 VH SS, '79 Green VB SL '92 S2 VQ Caprice
I'm currently trialling federal rsr road legal semi slicks, will let you know how I go with them. $130 ea on ebay
Keen to hear what mileage you get out of your toyo's

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
yeah would be good to swap experiences with both manufacturers. Is that price for 16's ? I know 16's are pricey compared to some of the bigger sizes because they aren't an overly supported wheel size

the Toyos are pricey, I was tossing up between the Toyo and Khumo but just about everyone I seem to talk to who races the early girls seems to recommend the Toyo as a good tyre to start with. Most actually recommended the R888, excellent dry weather tyre (even better than the R1R) but apparently they are terrible in the wet, so no for the street. Apparently the R1R handle the heat cycling well, they easily handle a typical 3 lap (plus warm up and cool down) sprints session and give good warning/feedback before breaking traction unlike some of the full R spec tyres. So a good 'safe' tyre for beginners like me ;)

drewVHSS

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
stores.ebay.com.au
Members Ride
'83 VH SS, '79 Green VB SL '92 S2 VQ Caprice
yes they're 205/50/16's, I'm using them more on the street than anything else considering they were so cheap I thought I'd use them as they sat for a year after buying them for when I took my white vq statesman down the drag strip.
So far it hasn't rained so I can't speak for wet weather driving.
Dry weather driving has been excellent so far, I commute an hour and 20 mins every day for work on freeway and also a nice hill climb road with hairpins, so far grip has been excellent.
I rarely drive city driving, it's always on hilly 70km plus roads with steep hills and tight corners and then straight onto the freeway 110km/h.

wouldn't mind having a go at eastern creek next time someone like mischa arranges a track day with jccnsw

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
I'm looking at doing a track and training day
Track and Training Days
Paul Stokell Racing runs the event
Driving instructors include Paul Stokell, Jonathon Webb (Tekno Motorsports), Dean Fiore so some reputable drivers there.
They start with a theory session, onto some laps in your own car with one of the drivers sitting beside you for the initial laps.
It's a full day event, so will no doubt learn plenty from some experienced drivers. Hopefully can get some tips on setup of the car too.

ajvx01

Reaction score
Members Ride
308 vc
That's pretty cool:) what's something like that cost you?

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
I'm looking at doing a track and training day
Track and Training Days
Paul Stokell Racing runs the event
Driving instructors include Paul Stokell, Jonathon Webb (Tekno Motorsports), Dean Fiore so some reputable drivers there.
They start with a theory session, onto some laps in your own car with one of the drivers sitting beside you for the initial laps.
It's a full day event, so will no doubt learn plenty from some experienced drivers. Hopefully can get some tips on setup of the car too.

Daz... good thinking there

I started (re-started) my track experience by doing a highperformance driving day... with Frank Porter Cam McConville and John Harvey as our track instructors
You think you can drive around a circuit quickly but these guys quickly point out where you are getting it wrong