Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

a

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
My manual L77 doesn't see 6th until at least 90.

5th not before 80.

Anything less just doesn't feel right.

I didn't buy a 6 litre to be too worried about fuel consumption.

Agreed, fuel consumption has never been on my radar and if it was the first port of call would be a tune to make the engine more efficient compared to the stock factory parameters.

Most of my driving is around my local streets and some higher speed arterial roads and I never use 5th or 6th when travelling them.

1 to 4 is all I ever need and 3rd is the sweet spot for the power band unless I want to get a little more mental.

Subju

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport Tourer

Subju

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport Tourer
q

Last edited:

Subju

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport Tourer
a

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I appreciate this, I had to google this to somewhat understand this. Am I right in assuming that it injects at a constant rate i.e 2.5ms injection compared to 2ms would mean 25% more fuel per revolution. I assume that it can be varied on the fly, is it possible that it changes the IPW at the same RPM in different gears. Let's assume (I'll be doing some more testing over the few days) that I'm doing 1.2kRPM in 5th gear at 60kmph vs 1.0k RPM in 6th gear. Would the IPW be different at that point? Maybe I might need an ELI5 but wouldn't the weight (probably better way of saying that) pushing the cylinders require significantly more energy when pushing a 6th gear ratio vs 5th gear ratio outweigh the extra petrol required to feed the extra revolutions.

Again, when I'm talking about this, please make the assumption that I'm speaking purely from efficiency perspective rather than pleasure.

No, the injector pulse width depends on how much fuel is required to maintain the target Air fuel ratio and changes constantly.

Honestly, you are over-thinking this.

If you drive down a flat road at 70km/h in 5th and the instant fuel reading is 12l/100km and then change to 6th at the same 70km/h and the instant fuel reading is 10l/100km than drive in 6th (this is a theoretical example).

Subju

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport Tourer
a

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I think most people would just sit in 5th. But doing it in 6th while not as fun or responsive, is it right to assume that it uses less fuel? What about up a hill?

I'm not making that assumption at all, I gave a theoretical example. Lets look at it a different way. You are driving down a road at 70km/h in 5th and instant fuel shows 12l/100km and then change to 6th and it's using 13l/100km..... (again, this is a theoretical example).

The only way to answer that question is to test the theory. No 2 people drive the same, you need to figure out what works best for you.

Subju

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport Tourer
a

Last edited: