Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ABS and standstill burnouts

Stewart1000

work done by ME
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VL twin turbo. VN5L. old jeep, **** mondeo.
not single spinner them, or its really stuffed... glad you had some fun. is the road really rough, what tyres do you run?

B

blofly

I did them on a car park smooth road, I am not sure now if the diff is a single spinner or LSD, when I pull out of a corner onto a busy road if I plant my foot flat I will smoke the inside wheel up to about 70kmph before I get grip.
I am running stock 16" wheels with 225 tyres

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 TT/'13 VF Senator/'11 WM CapriceV/Hayabusa
It Wont Rev Past 2500 Cause The Back Brakes Are On Cause Your Foots On The Brake! It Also Wont Rev Past 2500 Cause Your Peak Torque Rating Is Around 2500. It Wont Rev Past That Cause It Cant! Next Time Start The Wheels Spinning With Foot Hard On The Brake And Slowly Ease Off The Brake Till The Car Starts Creeping Forwards, Then Back Lightly On The Brake Till The Car Stops Again, Then You Should Find The Revs Will Pick Up. I Have Abs And Irs On My Vs And It Lights Up On The Brake At Eastern Creek Drags All Day!

G

goombeast

The whole point from an engineering and physics perspective is trying to get the power down to the ground and not losing too much traction isn`t it?
Burnouts might look impressive but so is the bill afterwards,tyres,diff,rear suspension,tailshaft,uni`s,gearbox and mounts,engine and mounts,rear wheel arches and paintwork etc etc etc. Save your dough and buy a cheap pig that you can flog the arse off and not regret it.

B

blofly

The only reason I even checked to see if the car would do a standstill was for future drag racing events. I have a pair of pursuit rims I will fit with mickey thompson drag radials for local drag nights.
I will be addidng the F.I.T. Ultimate Package deal to my car in January-Febuary 2006 and some other bits n pieces so thought I should check to see what the deal is with the IRS/burnouts threads happening here

Stewart1000

work done by ME
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
yeah well i would say you have an LSD, probabley stock with the VX SC.
IBLOWN made a very good point, peak torque is at 2.5k so it doesnt have enough grunt to overpower the breaks, back the break off a bit and it should be fine.
how much power and torque do you think youll be makign after the package?

B

blofly

between 270-330rwhp and about 420-450nm. If I back the brake off a tad the car just crawls forward at the moment

Stewart1000

work done by ME
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
crawls forward, hrmmmmm
is your accelerator all the way to the floor.

after the F.I.T. package is installed youll have no problems ay.
just after the package you will probably **** your diff doing them and gearbox, unless it comes with new diff and box, not to mention everything else between flywheel and rear wheels

S

sc0pe

shounak said:
Might, but I don't think so.. I always switch it to petrol when I try a standstill, but even then.. It wouldn't lack power..

Ecotec stock has 152kw, let's be extreme and say I lost 15kw with the conversion.. That's still 137kw at the wheels.. Enough to do a burnout..

But I couldn't pull one in my mates AUIII either.. Exact same problem, but could in an EL.. Like I said before..

I really don't think the dual fuel element has anything to do with this..

that 152kw that you are talking about is at the crank, not the wheels. its highly likely that you lost alot more then 15kw in the gas conversion, especially if its a duel fuel system. you would more then likly be struggling to make 137 hp at the wheels, let alone kw...

the duel fuel thing could have alot to do with it, but then again, you may also just have the wrong technique...

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
Wrong technique? Then why could I easily pull one in my mates EL? It's a 4 litre 6, not dissimilar to the Commodore..

And also, why couldn't a mechanic who said he could rip em in anything pull a burnout in my car?

Food for thought..