Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

AFM L76 lifter rattle when cold WTF?

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Mate, if it does turn out to be the power steer pulley then it's an easy enough fix. Had my car back a couple of times to have it adjusted before finally getting it replaced. Problem is that as soon as there's any heat in it, the noise stops. So there was no way to check of the adjustments had worked until the next morning. No dramas since it was replaced though (early days though... Just in a week now). The noise was coming from the very front of the motor but I couldn't pinpoint which pulley as it seemed to vary. Didn't sound like it was in time with the motor but did increase with revs. I'd describe it as a crackling noise.

Hope its that or similar rather than a rebuild.

Good luck mate.

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
Correct me if I am wrong. But putting an anti-drain back oil filter on the L98 or L76 engine in the VE wont be of any benifit as the filter sits at the bottom of the engine (where the sump is) and remains full of engine oil when the car is turned off. Unlike other engines where the oil filter screws on the side of the block allowing oil to drain out and back to the sump.

Cheers
Phil

vess09

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF R8 Clubsport
I had the same issue with my 09 auto SS and I found that the dealership didn't actually change my engine oil when I put in for it's 15,000km service, so 22,000kms on the oil that came with the car, no wonder i had a ticking sound, changed the oil and it went away, started coming back after 7,000km and changed the oil again at 7,500km and it was gone again, looks like it likes to have fresh oil in it at the 7,500km service interval

OldDog

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 1 SS Storm Ute
Interesting, i'll take it too the dealer and see if changing the oil fixes it, the car has 8500 kms on it at the moment. Its definetly a rattle in the engine rather than a pulley noise :(

OldDog

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 1 SS Storm Ute
Evenin everyone. Thought i'd update this thread on where i'm at with getting the lifter noise resolved.
There was a lot of discussion on this other thread http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...938-warranty-claim-am-i-being-reasonable.html
but as the title doesn't really reflect what the problem is i thought i'd update one this instead. That other thread also includes the sound recordings i've made of the noise by the way.

So, i've taken the car back down to the dealer yesterday and left the car with them overnight. This morning the TAC engineer was in and we started the car up so he could listen to it, his first comment was .....sounds like a stuffed lifter. FINALLY! An admission that it actually has a rattling lifter! The tech started fiddling around, all the while the lifter is rattling like mad, suddenly the sound vanishes. He'd removed the wire to the number 3 coil, releaving some pressure on that cylinder (he's explained). The engineer says that as we've isolated the fault to the number 3 cylinder lifters that only those 2 lifters will be replaced.........WTF? After a lot of stuffing around on the service managers part TAC have since agreed to replace ALL the lifters.

So a big heads up guys, keep an ear out on the AFM lifters, there may be a fault. Be prepared to do some fighting to get your dealer to accept the fault. To get this repaired will have taken me 8 months!

Also big props to the service manager Brian at Golden West Holden for helping out so much, i was getting nowhere til this guy got involved. I'll update this thread again once i have the work done, i'm expecting it done in a few weeks time.

Cheers
OD

BackyardSpecial

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
A bit off topic, is this the same Old Dog as on the ADV forums?

OldDog

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 1 SS Storm Ute
Uh oh, i've been found out! Yes its me alright!

spanks

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V UTE,VE SS SEDAN
So, i've taken the car back down to the dealer yesterday and left the car with them overnight. This morning the TAC engineer was in and we started the car up so he could listen to it, his first comment was .....sounds like a stuffed lifter. FINALLY! An admission that it actually has a rattling lifter! The tech started fiddling around, all the while the lifter is rattling like mad, suddenly the sound vanishes. He'd removed the wire to the number 3 coil, releaving some pressure on that cylinder (he's explained). The engineer says that as we've isolated the fault to the number 3 cylinder lifters that only those 2 lifters will be replaced.........WTF? After a lot of stuffing around on the service managers part TAC have since agreed to replace ALL the lifters.

So a big heads up guys, keep an ear out on the AFM lifters, there may be a fault. Be prepared to do some fighting to get your dealer to accept the fault. To get this repaired will have taken me 8 months!

Also big props to the service manager Brian at Golden West Holden for helping out so much, i was getting nowhere til this guy got involved. I'll update this thread again once i have the work done, i'm expecting it done in a few weeks time.

Cheers
OD

No.3 isn't an AFM cylinder.....so what are they saying????.....That the normal lifters are faulty too???

OldDog

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 1 SS Storm Ute
Well, finally got the lifters replaced ( they changed their mind to it being the No 2 lifter Spanks, hope thats right? ) and guess what?......It still rattles! The rattling has been reduced back to the level of noise / persistancy it was making back at 7000kms. I will once again start the process of complaining to the dealer and i'm sure in another 14000kms they will do something about it. Of course i could just sell the POS and buy something foreign. In over 30 years of car ownership i've always had Holdens, never ever again will i buy a new one.