Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

AFM L76 lifter rattle when cold WTF?

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
Besides the annoying sound, what sort of damage can the faulty lifters do to the rest of the engine?

Not sure may damage cam lobes? My noise is not lifters (according to some people) as I have had them replaced (as well as cam shaft) in other engines making exactly the same noise and they made no difference unless they too have failed.

Its at holden again tonight for another vist by the holden yep in the morning (cold startup)... One good thing is my local Holden dealer (GSH) gave me an SV6 to drive home in for the night. I should add the dealer is behind me on this... Good job.

Last edited:

Cruzer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2 SSV
Unbelievable how this motor still has issues despite its refinement, totally understand that your over it to, My new SII has only done 7000km and what im hearing now im fearing its similar to what your video shows, I can even hear it over my exhaust i had put on recently. Im going to stand in the freezing cold before work tomorrow and have a long listen. Please let us know how you go aswell, good luck with yours in the morning though mate.

OldDog

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 1 SS Storm Ute
Damn that sucks, good luck with them Gents. It seems that they're keen to tell us that they've never heard this problem before and that we're hearing things or whatever, i wish they'd just sort the problem and be done with it.

Heres a recording i did last year before they replaced the lifters After replacement it was quieter but its now getting back to this level again, and sooner than it did last time too.

Thinking about it, i am dissapointed, but being a seriously long term Holden owner, i'm also deeply embarrassed by this engine / car. I live in a pretty prosperous small mining town, i have had people change there minds about buying an AFM v8 after hearing the racket mine makes, and i'm sure its hurt the sales at the Dubbo holden dealers too. And you know i cop a fair bit from the local Ford guys, which is getting irritating.

By the way a mate in Sydney said that the motoring writer for the Telegraph did a write up on this problem a few months ago?

Of course the fix is easy, i just replace the lifters and cam with something better and bingo the problem goes away. But that means disconnecting a system on the car thats supposed to work, dammit. Anyway, post up your vids here of your rattling engines as i'm writing a letter to GM at the moment and i will be mentioning this thread, who knows maybe they'll look?

Cheers
OD

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
OD, exactly the same noise..... As mentioned before I am on my 3rd engine... Admitidly yours it at a stage worse than mine but sounds as nasty as my previous engine.. But once it starts is only gets worse. I have heard some people say its to do with the DOD lifters for AFM that blead down overnight but they should pump up within a few seconds.. Mines an L98 (No AFM and No DOD lifters) so go figure that explanation.

Good luck with the letter. My new engine is 8,000klm old and I am back where I started..

Last edited:

OldDog

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 1 SS Storm Ute
Well there is this recall in the states for the same issue. I mentioned this to both the dealer and Holden and was told that it doesn't apply to Australia as our engines are different (optimised for Australian conditions apparently LOL)

PIP4499B: Start Up Lifter Tick Noise After Engine Has Been Off For 2 Hours Or More

I've been told by a board member totry running a heavier engine oil, i mentioned this to the dealer and they didn't like the idea, i got the impression they would bring out the "void warranty" stick.

Cheers

OD

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
I tried that, ran a Penrite 10w50 and it was worse, much much worse. I have tired all various types of oil and viscosities none realy made any difference.

Besides, that is only masking the underlying issue IMO.

HUX 90

POSION VE SS UTE
Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE SS UTE
I have this problem too, it went away after my 15000k service but now its starting to come back.

OldDog

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 1 SS Storm Ute
Sorry to hear that Hux :( The dealer told me he thought the noise would go when mine had the 15k service done but it didn't, it got worse!
In the end i'm sure i'll have to either get an aftermarket set of cam and lifters fitted or just trade the car in. I don't really want to get rid of the car though as its a fairly uncommon Poison Ivy G8 sportwagon....and to be honest its one of the sexiest Holdens i've ever seen!

HUX 90

POSION VE SS UTE
Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE SS UTE
Yeah i was thinking aftermarket cam and lifters too because I doubt my warranty is going to help to get it fixed and I don't want to get rid of my ute, I get alot of comments about it lol. It's just annoying more then anything thowing that it probably wont get fixed by holden like it should

OldDog

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 1 SS Storm Ute
Well i spoke to a bloke at Mr HDT which is a respected tuner in Dubbo and he reckoned that if i swap out the cam and lifters and he dyno tunes it i can expect similar fuel consumption as i have with AFM and maybe a little extra grunt too (not that it needs it) The issue i have is two fold with doing that 1. why should i fix an issue that is due to a manufacturing problem? I paid almost $60k for this car surely its not too much to ask that the engine is quiet. and 2. what happens to my engine warranty? I'd kiss it goodbye i'd say and frankly i don't have the time or patience to put up with that crap. Nope they offer a warranty they can fix the car.