Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Aftermarket Guages vy ss

VYBR8R

VYBR8NV8
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS ute 5.7/A4
I have aftermarket gauges in my car most holders will fit but thats not the problem,guages need a sender box to work in other words if you can find one that hooks up to the holden computer in your car your laughing but the only ones I know of that work are the genuine hsv made by VDO I have matrix gauges in my Vy clubby they light up but needles dont work lol they look awesome especially when you change the colour of one to red and the other blue and people drive real slow near you at night lol.I deliver to and speak with Holden mechanics and auto elects every day and theyve told me the same only the genuines work sorry.:bang:

oil pressure sender will be required if you dont have the loom factory installed, my series 2 ss ute didnt, even with climate control. easy solution at first i was just going to remove the factory oil pressure switch located at the back of the inlet manifold, however the computer freaks out so the best solution i found was the HSV adaptor that goes where the oil filter screws in, attach the sender there and no probs. you can buy the hsv adaptors from many places, cheapest i found was online at American Auto Parts under the vy parts.

VYBR8R

VYBR8NV8
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS ute 5.7/A4
I'm 100% sure that the area for the gauge holder in climate control models (i.e. berlina, calais, monaro) is slightly different than those with the 3 dials (i.e. exec, my ss). As you will notice, the climate control models have the coloured trim that runs over the top of the climate control section, whereas the 3 dials do not. The climate control model therefore has a smaller top section. The gauge holder will be too small for non-climate control cars.

the VZ is the only model with the trim across the top, the VY climate control was identical to the non-climate :)

btw those hsv adaptor at americanautos are a $110 forgot to mention that b4

Leno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Wagon 5.7
I couldn't see the point in a volt gauge, so I put in a oil temp gauge and oil pressure. I hooked the oil temp gauge up to my A4. That way at least I know the gearbox is warm before I put the foot down.

VYBR8R

VYBR8NV8
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS ute 5.7/A4
I couldn't see the point in a volt gauge, so I put in a oil temp gauge and oil pressure. I hooked the oil temp gauge up to my A4. That way at least I know the gearbox is warm before I put the foot down.

great idea, howd you go about hooking it up to the gearbox? did you put the sender the gearbox's fluid hoses??

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
thats a good idea for the temp gauge on the auto, a guy i worked with did that for his vl turbo so when they tuned it they new how hot the auto temp was getting while they were tunning and when he drove it.

i think he had one for the exhaust as well.
but a mate bought it and had the auto one disconnected when he got it highly modified.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Seriously, the only gauge to use is these
InterceptorGauge-sm.jpg

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
hey minux, they the tech edge gauge(i think thats it or something simmilar)
you can switch through the different readings on the gauge yeh?

also do you know if the apexi computers, the ones that you see in all the jap cars, with the blue face display, there like a boost controller, with gauges as one setting, air/fuel ratio a another function on it, etc. can be wired up to the commodores? so if added forced induction later would be there already, or do they have other ones that don't have boost?

Leno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Wagon 5.7
Yeah, just made up a tee-piece for the sender to pick up the oil temp and put it in the oil line from the gearbox to the cooler.