Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Aircon compressor whine

Discussion in 'VR - VS Holden Commodore (1993 - 1997)' started by losh1971, Feb 8, 2019.

1. losh1971

losh1971 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    I have found another place who might be able to undertake the repair. He is not exactly near work or home but is willing, without crapping on, to have a look at it. Surprising that some places just really CBF doing such a simple job. I don't get why places CBF working on old Holdens. Soon as you mention VR so many places say ohh yeahhhh that job is a pain, or nahh we don't mess with that ****..... With a fair few places carrying on about working on the ute i get the impression they are suggesting just send it to the scrappers and buy something else. Because its nearly always the same yeahhh nahhhh ****.

2. Wozza

Wozza Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR_GS commodore
    Mechanics are like doctors if you find a good one stick to them...:D.....Its same as panel beaters, few these days know what filler or primer is, and forget about massaging a panel back into shape :)

losh1971 likes this.
  3. vs-lover

vs-lover Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
    There's a good reason why mechanics like newer cars and that is they can charge much more as the car is considered a much dearer commodity but the expectation with an older car of lower value is that they can't charge like wounded bulls because the job cost compared to the vehicle cost is no longer proportional.
    It's that simple.

4. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    I have booked it in to have it done. After some calling and searching from the tech he said the comp is serviceable and he can do the job for around 200 or a bit more. Only issue will be if the clutch needs replacing. That being the case i will try and find a low km SH compressor to raid the clutch off.

5. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Yeah well i guess mechs will soon stop working on VEs since they can be bought for under $4K. I do believe this is happening too. Some mechs are saying to VE owners don't fix just get rid of it.

6. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Repco yeah rip off, Bursons are even more expensive and by quite a bit. I called Merv Gray, on the off chance he would have one on the shelf. Yep, short belt 18 bucks. Repco with 20% off $54, Burson's best price $65 as mentioned above. Just goes to show what kind of markup there is on car parts...

7. vs-lover

Members Ride:
    Then they do 20% off and try to convince us they are giving stuff away. I've worked in purchasing and know my prices and these bullshit marketing campaigns are just all blatant lies.

losh1971 likes this.
  8. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Bearing number for a VR with Sanden comp is apparently CL1005.

9. vs-lover

Members Ride:
    Thanks Losh

Pretty sure its the same for mainstream VS models until they changed to the larger VT type compressor.

10. 91SS

91SS Member

Members Ride:
    Holden Commodore VNSS 1991
    Compressors fail this age. I would buy new off eBay with accumulator for $500. Mine leaked finally that's what I did change o rings and have someone evac and fill system.
    You won't have to worry about it then.

11. EYY

EYY Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS Statesman
    $500 is crazy money for a car that's worth $500.

I'd just get a good second hand one and fit it and regas. Should be under $200 total to do the job.

Obviously try the new bearing first though!

12. vs-lover

Members Ride:
    This is exactly my point in a previous post regarding perception of old cars and high repair costs not being acceptable compared to newer high value cars being repaired at the same cost but it being considered as the norm. Generally the cost is no different between cars, it's just the mind set of old cars versus newer cars.

BTW....... EYY, Go easy on Losh, I'm sure he feels his car is worth a few bucks more than $500. You're making him want to throw a match at it. LOL ;)

losh1971 likes this.
  13. Wozza

Wozza Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR_GS commodore
    You need to factor in sentimental value and intended use...my old man now in his mid 70's, has a 80's Jag, which he has spent close to 12K on. New running gear, paint touch ups, interior refresh...the market value is around $2.5 to $10k...Its his pride and joy (well after his fully restored series 1 landrover) and he will spend whatever it cost to keep it running and reliable...
    Ive sunk easy 6k into my VR over the 8 years of ownership, no way Im ever going to recoop that money even if I manage to hang onto it another 10years. but its my POS and I love it ;)
    Another thing to think about is a new $30+K car on finance is going to cost around $2700 a year in interest payments....so if I spend less than that a year Im already 30+K ahead of the muppet's that buy new ;)

Lex likes this.
  14. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    I tell you yesterday I was ready to flog it for $2k and take a hit with the $1500 or more I have put into it over the last two years. Trouble is if I buy another $2k car it will be as bad or worse than what I have. My compressor is still fairly good. If the clutch is worn I will look at a low km SH comp and raid the clutch. The good thing is I have a month or so to sort it out as I have fitted the short belt. So if the mech says it needs more than a bearing it will still be mob until I source the bits needed to repair my comp.

Lex likes this.
  15. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Agree I have sunk a lot into the old ute. Plus I have put in probably 100hrs or more of my own time. It's gone from a pretty shabby bus to a fairly tidy unit. Like Wozza says new car means finance plus new cars tend to have more expensive servicing costs given the additional costs of the higher rated fluid types newer vehicles need. I also look at it this way, that I have saved $400 or $500 in freight for materials for my house build. Plus I saved $600 with my last trip to Adelaide as I didn't have to cough up for a trailer which is around three times the cost of bring the ute over. Another thing is VR used parts are about as cheap as anything gets when it comes to wreckers. Be good if I could do a bit more myself and save on labour and maybe down the track I will.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    Wozza likes this.
  16. EYY

EYY Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS Statesman
    Don't mean to offend anybody - just calling a spade a spade. I know my vs isn't worth heaps too lol don't worry. Some day that'll probably change, but that's the beauty of them. They're all at the wreckers because they've hit rock bottom in the current market - which means that parts availability and pricing of second hand parts is awesome.

Lex and losh1971 like this.
  17. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Aircon is fixed. Place charged me $236 to replace the bearing, 2hrs work, ouch.... I am glad it's fixed, even in Tas you need aircon as driving with the windows down on dirt roads really sucks. The time to remove the bearing made up a fair amount of the total as the circlip wears into the groove in the clutch apparently.

Lex and VS_Pete like this.
  18. VS_Pete

VS_Pete Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
    good to hear

losh1971 likes this.
  19. CCCMikey

CCCMikey Active Member

Members Ride:
    VS '95. LPG. 413,000KM
    I still have to start my compressor with a roll of christmas paper if the motor is hot. (ie after being parked for 10-30 minutes before driving again.) It's fine if the compressor's already been running for a while, or generally if I'm starting from a cold motor.

Having never taken one apart, I'm wondering what causes the compressor clutch to apparently bind to it's shaft when hot. It's been untouched for up to 500,000km so age-related wear would make sense I'm thinking?