Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Aircon compressor whine

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
A lot of small car related business have done the aircon course and run a small regas setup out the back ;) lots of ppl doing it makes for cost reductions...
drive around and you will see the signs for 90$ regas 2 streets down $80 and so forth....average price is around $90 pay more and your getting ripped off..

That is pretty good. Limited people in Launceston do aircon. $150 is a good price in Launceston, some places are over $200.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
I am only talking about gas.
I have all the parts. About $1000 worth.
I have to replace the hvac system. One of the arms that a actuator goes to has broken of.
Got the hvac from wreckers for $50.00. Decided while its out, would replace everything.
Bought parts over 6 months.
The air con works well, no leaks, just heater side of it. I originally thought it was leaking. Thats why l decided to put new parts in.
Also have some new carpet to fit, when l have the hvac unit out.
Good luck with the vr with whatever you decide to do with it.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
That's interesting Lex. My heater is pretty poor. It works great until the aircon is switched on at the same time then the heat on the drivers side is really cool. I thought it was a blocked core even though I have flushed it twice. My core does have a minor weep.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
With mine, nothing wrong with the heater core. I thought it was the actuator down the bottom right, near the drivers foot. It was the arm that opens & closes a door inside the hvac unit. It seems to control the heater.
When driving with the ac on for awhile, it gets so cold that l have to turn it off.
During winter, when l go to use it, most of the time the heater doesn't work.

I've never checked what the passenger side is doing, never occurred to me to see.

The minor weep on yours is were the air is getting in? And why you have to bleed it every now & then?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The minor weep on yours is were the air is getting in? And why you have to bleed it every now & then?

Yeah could be letting a smidge of air in it but that's not what is making my heater cold. Should mention the weep is not bad enough to see the resi level drop, I only noticed it because when the aircon is on the water out the drain has just noticeable green tinge to it. It's hot at anytime except once the aircon is switched on, then 1 min later it blows cold. Still warm on the passenger side but luke warm on the drivers side. I check the rad and it is always full. Only times I bleed it is if I am doing work on the cooling system, which I have done a lot of in the last two years.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I just spun the compressor bearing with the belt off and you can hear a noise. I'd say the bearing on the comp is cactus for sure.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So does it go away when the clutch is engaged?

Yes, but not completely but with clutch engaged the noise is significantly reduced. It is the only pulley that has a rough feel.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
It would have been good if it was the alt, as I am looking at fitting a 115a one at some stage as an upgrade. And an alt is something I would have no trouble at all fitting myself.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So apparently the bearing for these is no longer available. Anyone know of a place where these can be bought? Air con bloke said that the bearing is not something Bearings Tas can get. plus anyone recommend a place in Launceston to fit one? My regular bloke doesn't want to even try.