Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Anyone got a VZ Cross 8 Crewman? (But now I have one :) )

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
A bit of an update on monotonous boring stuff.
I've had no time to get much done, but have started to again.
image_1.jpg

Still focused on the back. I've put nutserts in place of all the screws for the panels in the tray. Why? Because I don't like the screws and they loose purchase after changing a few globes.

image_12.jpg

I've cleaned the whole underside of the tray again, this time with the pressure cleaner. I bought a fantastic trigger and nozzle set from the UK. It attaches to the Karcher and has a swivel on it, so no more tangled hose. The connector just clicks onto the Karcher hose like a garden hose would. I will never again use factory Karcher junk again. Completely impractical. That snow foam cannon was amazing by the way. The junk Karcher one is in the bin. Using these has made it like a whole new and better machine. Oh and this arrived in WA from the UK in 6 days.
image_5.jpg

All clean
image_7.jpg

So using this, I was able to get in behind the tray via the exposed panels.
Got so much crud out, all the top of the fuel tank is clean, all the back of the cab is cleaner, still a few leaves I can't get.

image_2.jpg

Next I cleaned down the tray and scrubbed it with a scourer pad. Then sprayed cold galv over the exposed metal.
image_4.jpg

I had already got some rust converter onto some bits, so theres no rust or poor metal now. Spot sprayed. I did spray the rear sill white over the cold galv, but I'm not fussed about the rest. I straightened the tie down hooks. Theres a tray liner going back in so none of this will be visible. I thought it was dry, but some water was still there when I sprayed. No bigger, just redid it today after cleaning off the paint dust that dried where the water was.

image_8.jpg

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
FU, the trigger and nozzle set looks good. Any links to it?

PS: if there are difficult spots you can’t quite reach, maybe try a pipe cleaner and shove it into those hard to reach spots.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I can now use any ¼" quick connect high pressure fittings. That includes extensions as well. I have an adjustable angle fitting coming so I can get into hard to reach places. I will be ordering the extensions too.

Where did I get them? Via eBay but this is their site: https://cleantec.biz

This is the eBay link:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Karcher...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648

Considering the price, it will make any Karcher into something worth using. I have a crummy K2 and its now the ducks nuts. Just need a 10m after market hose now and I'm laughing.

With two goes of the snow foam, you'll never touch your car paint again. Cleaner than a joke from the Pope.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Like the nutsert/rivnut set up, will look 'bespoke'.
I used M5 and am still unsure if I use M5 10mm zinc hex heads with a washer, or gold high tensile 8mm head bolts.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I also redid the rear light loom with pig tail for brake and reverse to enable camera at a later date. The sheathing I used was no good and came away from the heat shrink. Good experience using it and lessons learnt. Might consider using a different type in the future for harnesses.
image_1-1.jpg

image_2-1.jpg

So pulled the securing clip from the plug. depinned the connector pins.
Stripped back the reverse and brake wires, offset from each other for safety, crimped in the new wire in and slipped on some heat shrink over that. Then fed the two new wires down the loom tube (a bit tight, but not too tight) and out the bottom.

image_3-1.jpg

Folded back the brake wire and heat shrink covered that so nice and safe, but did not close the end to allow for drainage of moisture. It's there ready for future use. Wired in the two pin plug for camera power which is spliced to single pin plugs for camera power and reverse trigger for head unit.

Put all the wires back into their various positions by referencing photos and the other tail light loom plug.
image_4-1.jpg

*Of note, none of the factory plugs are weather proof in this area of the car. I'm simply going with that here and have already found it useful to be able to clean the existing plugs of dust and grot.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
And you want to take this off-road?
I've had two Suburu's before that were heavily modified. One was Pearl white and gun metal grey, 2 ½" Lift kit with Yoko Super Diggers for further lift. It flogged on the beaches and would often be covered in limestone mud, I'd get home and detail it back to perfection. Then do it again. Then second Subi I just bashed in the the guards and fitted the same wheels and tyres without a lift kit. It went all the same places and far more. It would always get cleaned up after as well. Both cars taught me off road skills that mattered. With such under powered cars and limited ground clearance, you could not rely on the car but the drivers skill to get into and out of places that left people scratching their heads as to how.

This will be mostly beach use and southern forests. WA gravel roads are the stuff eastern staters dream of. Perfect white firm WA beaches are a dime a dozen and will be easy going for the Cross8.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
image_10.jpg

Wheels get painted soon. Going to be all silver.
image_11.jpg

Inside is done as far as no power goes. Still need to test a few things.
Outside is clean and almost ready to start the front and complete detailing the engine bay for the first time in this cars life.
Will remove coils, and computer, restored battery tray and as much other stuff as possible. Then degreased. Then pressure cleaned. Then greased and pressure cleaned again. Then manually cleaned of caked up grease and schmutz that is under there.

Then new alternator going in.

Still need rear drive shaft boot to be done. Test lights and interior lighting. Put back all interior trims once tested. Then new leads and maybe plugs. New oil pressure sensor needs doing. New rocker cover gaskets are ready. New heater tap going in. New leads.

Drive belts are new.

Heads look new inside and out.

Once registered in WA, will be selling my current Crewman and that will pay for the new engine all going well.
Might sell some assets for the 6L80E conversion Clive is doing.

Oh, have a 'Holden" badge to go on the dash on the passenger side.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
image_14.jpg

I had to repair the rear bumper. The mount had come away from the melted clips. I used a small amount of Sikaflex Automotive Adhesive. A bit of a spray with some black to tidy things up.