Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Are any member here into high end Tv's and Sound

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
I'm running a pair of SVS SB12+ subs, and 5 Whatmough Monitor Performance Series and 2 Krix Atmospherix.
nice them SVS subs are killers and great adjustment too defiantly get what u pay for, didnt realize how muddy my last sub was till this one, hard to get it to suit the room tho as room is odd as i can get it good for couple seat positions but not all, need to think about some sound acoustics/traps ect

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
nice them SVS subs are killers and great adjustment too defiantly get what u pay for, didnt realize how muddy my last sub was till this one, hard to get it to suit the room tho as room is odd as i can get it good for couple seat positions but not all, need to think about some sound acoustics/traps ect
Acoustic treatments and corner traps will improve most situations.
My AVR pre amp does a great job EQing the subs. There is a moment in 'Gravity' when you can feel a wall of bass roll through the lounge room.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
It's funny because last week I was listening to the radio and the tech guy was explaing that Sony uses Oled.
I'm a big fan of LG Oled but Sony apprantly has better software and circuitry. So Sony would be my pick.

With sound GR reasearch speakers with any decent A class front end to D class rear end amp usually around the 4k mark for two channels and GR reasearch subs.
For surround just add a receiver but run the front channels off the amp.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
AS you all know by now I go to the Extremes with anything, I love my Music And I love my 4K Movies (going to throw out over 100 titles of BLU Rays as I have them in 4K. My Movies system we have a Sony 85 inch Z8H and the reason why I hunted this tv from Sony itself (not sold on any JB's Hardle Normal, The Good guys, or any other outlet because this tv has STRONG PEAK BRIGHTNESS which is needed for HDR
Every 4k TV comes with HDR support, but support simply means that the TV can accept HDR metadata. It doesn't necessarily mean that it will display the HDR content as intended with deep blacks and vibrant colors. To reproduce HDR content accurately, TVs must be able to get bright and display more saturated colors
LOOK

The biggest Enemy for LCD's is Blooming (on a VA panel but for IPS Panel LG's is Blooming and IPS Glow), The Biggest Enemy for OLED is lack of peak brightness as the Latest Sony OLED the Sony A90J can only muster 770 cd/m²At 10% window and THAT TO DARKKK to show HDR but h only thing that goes with the OLED is INFINITY BLACKS and even with poor peak brightness you will see some HDR but I have to say this that 98% of People that have a Quality TV HAVE NEVER EVER SEEN HDR PERIOD, FULL STOP.
Yes I have two light meters, did not trust the first one that I purchased so I got another brand one and found out that both was the close to each other the same as I measured my Sony 85 Z8H at 10% Window I got 2509 nit and wide color gamut(The other light meter got 2485 Nit) that will burn you eyes out a particular scene.
Now I will talk about a VERY DARK Movies like "The Last Witch Hunter" yes its a Very Verty Dark Movies but even now and then you will see some very bright objects but on one scene you will see ONE scene that has 100 odd globe (incandescent) on a wall like you use to use years ago to lite up your house and these globes go brighter, and brighter, and brighter and brigters until they BLOW. Yes I conned my Son to watch this movie and Show him what HDR is and when this scene come up he turned his head away and he makes sound like uuuugh, oooooooh, yes that is HDR and when you search on the internet you will find that PARTICULAR Scene is 2850NIT. Noe remember our 85Z8H can go only 2509Nit but the Z9G 2019 model (3910 nit, brigher but has poorer blacks conpared to the 2020 Z8H) and in between the 2021 Z9J has similar blacks as the Z8H but the Peak Brightness is just over 3000 bit. WOW Watch the Last Witch Hunter on this tv Z9J you will get the scene at 2850 nit not like our Z8H at 2509 nit.

Now How do I know what any 4K movie and how bright can it get. About 25% yes only 25% are mastered at 4000 nit NOT 1000 nit as the 1000 nit are useless as tits on a bull but some 1000 nit movies that have 1000 nit MAXCLL (Maximum Content light level) are fairly good but not as good as a movie that is mastered at 4000 nit so I had to buy a Player that spits this data out so I got the Panasonic DMP UB 9000 but I have to do it on ALL the over 200 UHD title I have and since I have to OPEN and Close the tray over 200 time I will worn out the new Player so what did I bough a second Panasonic UB 9000.
My Players are Oppo 105D (1080P) Yes D the Darbee edition for depth. I had two Oppo 203 but sold one as China is on my nose at the moment but the real reason why I sold the Oppo 203 the Panasonic UB 9000 shi.t over the oppo with picture quality and there is evidence with this from me on the AVS Forum and what the Professional calibrator said (Vincent Teoh). I have 2X Panasonic UB 9000 and the one that I have use for the data open and close the tray over 200 times and it still works perfectly.

Our Players, Up the Top is the Oppo 103D as I use to use this for Upscale everything on Satellite in 4K but dont need it now because the New TV the Z8H upscales everything at 8K 7,680 horizontal and 4,320 vertical but the other feature that the Oppo 103D has is the "D" is the Darbee edition as it can display DEPTH like 3D. Yes it works ok for 1080p or 2160 p.

Next row down is the Oppo 203, then under its two Panasonic UB 9000 then one of the many AMPS (pre Amp feed)I have for all the 7 Channels I have as I have combination of 7:4:4 for speakers + Lounge and ceiling light Shakers (WOW the Movie like SAN ANDREAS WOW, The light Fitting Start to rattle (phased different becasuse I use a Special Amp from The US Its a Daytona that the Lounge Shakes then the two 300W KEF Sub Woofers rattle your teeth.. By the way I had to take the Sharkers from my wife chair as the Shakers effect the pain she has in her back. Also I have 4 Subs for the Room.

PS Have a look at the ir Receivers for the Harmony Remote

I had to strengthen the lounge with BOLTS because the staple was not good enough as the SHAKERS will shake the lounge apart. This is a old photo as all the Sony Professional CRT are gone. I had 8 off them both sides of the main TV, I now 24 inch LCD's

Our Panasonic UB 9000 gavered all the data for all the 200 or more new UHD Movies, Remember the tray went in and out 200+ times but t still works and still quite compared to the other 9000 player. The Movie is Passengers. Press INFO twice on the 9000 and the info spits out

MAD MAX Fury Road. WOWWWWWWWW. Get you sun glasses out.

Thanks for the Panasonic DMP UB 9000 I was able to compile this list of over 200 UHD Movies. You can see the "master of disaster" Moves from Roland Emmerich the Movie 2012 is a good mover for a TV that has STRONG HDR. Look for MAXIMUM DML Movies at 4000 nit in RED. Also look for MAX CLL and MAX FALL these movies are good for a tv that has Strong HDR.

Bu the way I went to Hardly Normal and Jb's and I told them where are the TV that give me good HDR and the Salesperson said ALL OUR TV GIVE HDR so I said this, read this piece of paper as you advertise your TV as HDR but yet none of them will show HDR. The Latest Samsung MINI LED 2022 QN 90B Yes B not A is capable of good HDR but has only Peak 2% window of 2,117 CD/m2 and at 10 % window it has 2066 CD/m2 so its just about a good HDR TV but the others they can't show HDR. Maybe the ACCC need to be involved because any complant that advertise this is false advertising. Maybe one day I will complain, im good for a shi.t sturr.

Last edited:

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pages of Movie's that I got for the Data I need

My lounge has be finished for the tenth time of trying different things to get the best effect of the shakers. NOTICE the PINKY Ball that I got from the US (cant get these type in Australia) as these pinky balls allow the lounge to move easier, East West North South . Again the Photo is old as I have update a few time since them but change the 100 inch Short throw projector to a 85 inch Sony TV but still have the total of 9 Monitors on both sides

Last edited:

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
My system comprised with 7:4:4 which is 6 Dali Ikon Speakers, Two Front, Two surround, Two Rear Surround, 4 Bang & Olufse Ceiling speakers, One 200W Front Speakers (not shown on the above phot as the Front was above the TV and now its on the Floor,) 4 KEF 300 Watt Sub Woofers, 6 Lounge Shakers Dayton BST-1 50W Pro Tactile Bass., and two 20 Watt for the ceiling lights.

Now for the AMPS I use the Main amp for the pre's and other, Yamaha 3050 for the Main and a collection of Yamaha Amps for the other channels.
The Whole system incliding the Sat side of things are controlled by a Harmony Remote ( have spare remote as Harmony have stopped making remotes) LOOK at the Photo of all the 4K players and you will see the Receiver attached on each device It was hard to do this as the system from one side to anoither id over 7M long so the Supplied leads were not long enough. Yes Simple RCA Mic Leads fixed this issue and now trouble with this as all works well

By the way most Sony Movies are good, most are mastered at 4000 nit bit for HDR Paramont are USELESS as most are Mastered at 1000 nit

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
I do like my TV stuff too! I’m not sure if I’m a ‘high end’ as yourself though?

I try to buy most of my movies on UHD BluRays and have a LG OLED. I’m not so much in to the sound side of things as I have a hearing impairment and use a cochlear implant.
Well I have a Friend that is 75 years old and has a Sony 85Z9G but does not have a good sound system (useless for him) and he has the same disability as you so what I did with help with his son ( I'm Old too 71) I designed a good Shakers System so if he cannot hear the range of Frequencies he can feel the lounge shaking. He Loves it!!!. I put 4 Shakers in one Lounge, normal 2 is enough but if you have a wide or sturders lounge on concrete you can use 4, any how he love it until the beer falls over LOL.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
It's funny because last week I was listening to the radio and the tech guy was explaing that Sony uses Oled.
I'm a big fan of LG Oled but Sony apprantly has better software and circuitry. So Sony would be my pick.

With sound GR reasearch speakers with any decent A class front end to D class rear end amp usually around the 4k mark for two channels and GR reasearch subs.
For surround just add a receiver but run the front channels off the amp.
Not long ago I went to Sydney about Satellite stuff but at the Same time I went to a guys house that had the US Version Of Panasonic OLED (not available in Australia) and this TV was a OLED and it was thick with plenty of heat sinks but I was surprised as it was bright for OLED and the peak brightness was a 1260 nit at 10 %. Also the ABL (Automatic Brighness limiter) was not as vicious as most OLED.
Because of Covid and other the OLED Top Emissions (not the Bottom Emission like now) have not come out. Top Emission are expect to go to 1800nit and that will be a game changer but at the same time for LCD Forget The Mini LED of Sony like the 2022 Z9K Humm and (Harr it if we buy it to replace the Z8H) or wait until the Micro LEDs will come out) because at the Monent all Min LED have 2000 Zones but for me that not enough to stop blooming. Micro Leds will have good Blacks like the OLED but will have strong Peak Brightness over 2000 nit. Yes 2000 to start with not 3000, or 4000 nit

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
The Biggest Enemy for OLED is lack of peak brightness as the Latest Sony OLED the Sony A90J can only muster 770 cd/m²At 10% window and THAT TO DARKKK to show HDR but h only thing that goes with the OLED is INFINITY BLACKS and even with poor peak brightness you will see some HDR but I have to say this that 98% of People that have a Quality TV HAVE NEVER EVER SEEN HDR PERIOD, FULL STOP.

IMO HDR is only needed because LED TVs can't show proper blacks. So therefore they pump out huge brightness to give the contrast ratio required.
OLED gives infinite contrast ratio, even at 1 nit.

I bought my first OLED (LG) last year and it has ruined any other TV for me, even the cinema to be honest.
Yes, if you wanted to watch The Batman at midday with the sun streaming through a OLED would be poor.
But in a dark room, its amazingly good. You genuinely can't see the transition from ratio black bars to black in the image.

Everyone is different though, some want hypersaturated colours and a lighthouse beaming at your room.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Plenty of us have other hobbies, its also probably why you didnt get a response within your 24hr window.

Would i like to have some seriously high end stuff for listing to music? Absolutely.
Can I afford it? Definitely not
This happens to most younger people but if you do the right thing and save you money you will get the stuff you need to enjoy your later life.