Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

are oversized wheels ruining the look of old cars?

BoNeZ-01

"..of mice and men.."
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 50th Anniversary
lmao! Exactly! :p
I just wish I was good at photoshop or something like that, so I could create an image of what I wanted my HQ tonner to look like and with the rims I wanted.
Would of been mean as.. :cool:

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
i reckon that old cars are a joke with big chromies on them, and would rather some convo-pro's or some other classic wheels.

what does everyone reckon?

TOTALLY AGREE!
In my opinion no bigger than 17's on VB-VL. Any bigger just looks totally wrong. Wheels are too big for the gaurds, looks like some kids hot wheels toy.
I'd never give up my 16 inch Walkinshaw wheels. Absolutely love them on the VH, even though the tyres usually cost more than most 18 inch tyres.

Old school Commodores and most other old school cars, need deep dish wheels, not 22 inch. Leave the big wheels for cars that need them like VE's

faroogoo

SENTINEL
Reaction score
Members Ride
GMH
I like retro mod builds that use the original design of the wheel only custom made in a larger diameter,Say original is 14" then being reproduced/custom made into a 16-17" wheel.So you keep the original look of the car but with a modern touch.

Maxxiz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6
To tell someone they're wrong, and say something looks ****, after they have just said that they like it, is just plain wrong, and pretty much rude.
Wow, finally someone who doesnt have their head so far up their a** that they can respect someone else's opinion. Hats off to you :beer chug:

Ado

Are we there yet?
Reaction score
Members Ride
vsII statesman L67
It totally depends on the style of the car. A 50's/60's/70's done retro tech style needs bigger wheels to set it off however if it's done to old school muscle standards it would be ruined with anything bigger then 16's.

Oh, and if I can work out how I'll put up a pic of my BMW drift pig from NFS Shift.. it's matte black with 15 inch and 17 inch Convo Pros on it :p

I agree that its good on some cars,when putting newer style brakes on the older cars you cant just put back on the little 14s and 15s.

Attachments

• IMG_0352..jpg
    IMG_0352..jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 1,230

11gothevt11

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Sedan
Sorry off the subject
What about wheels to small
Am i the only person who thinks the new hilux have tiny wheels compared to the size of the body??????????

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)
I agree that its good on some cars,when putting newer style brakes on the older cars you cant just put back on the little 14s and 15s.

yeah UCSMOKE looks awesome, saw it up close yesterday those wheels really suit it.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
some old cars look tuff as with big rims imo

l_5057a04966724a9698b1a05646683738.jpg

100% FAIL. Like most I agree with the OP. Depends what you call an old car though. Generally 15" is max on pre 1980 cars, 16" for Gen 1 Commodores, 17" for Gen 2.

Also - those wheels make the Falcon look hideous - 12 slotters or globes ftw!

Reaper

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Wow, finally someone who doesnt have their head so far up their a** that they can respect someone else's opinion. Hats off to you :beer chug:

It's a 2 way street mate...You don't seem to respect our opinions either.

yeah UCSMOKE looks awesome, saw it up close yesterday those wheels really suit it.

UCSMOKE is a sweet car for sure, but the wheels let it down IMO. I can forgive him though, because the rest of the car is perfect....:p

roy38

Reaction score
Members Ride
thunder
I run 20's on my thunder and don't think they're too big at all..... it's all up to personal preference, if YOU don't like big wheels don't buy them. BUT if you see someone with 20's why presume they are a wanker? They like 20's you don't. I don't like mushrooms, so I don't eat them, and i certainly do not think people who do are wankers. Pointless thread.