Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Are VF's going to be collectables?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I say it's rubbish...The gov't has been saying for more years than I care to remember, they want to get old cars off the road for what ever reason.....
As electric cars increase in percentage, consumption of petrol will decrease, reducing economies-of-scale & pushing petrol prices up.
I think it'll be a way greater cost than any rego costs, like 10x the cost of petrol compared to now.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I play Vinyl but don't think I'm crazy nor well heeled.

Others may argue otherwise.

you get the idea though, it's seen as vintage and retro, generally reserved for enthusiasts.

I know I'm all for this kind of thing though as the owner of 5 CRT's. :) (if you want a fright see what they are worth now).

taxes to keep the peasants in their place.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
I can see a day not far away when you won't be able to register it and drive it on the road, you are going to need a very expensive day pass.

Thing is the world can’t collectively ban ICEs. When you refine a barrel of oil you always get petrol and diesel. We still have to refine oil to get plastic, fertiliser, chemicals, asphalt etc. What does the world propose to do with the petrol and diesel that is an unavoidable by product of the refining process, dump it in the ocean?

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
As electric cars increase in percentage, consumption of petrol will decrease, reducing economies-of-scale & pushing petrol prices up.
I think it'll be a way greater cost than any rego costs, like 10x the cost of petrol compared to now.

No. The price of petrol will fall as it must be produced to get all the other things we need from a barrel of oil. plastics, fertiliser, asphalt etc.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
No. The price of petrol will fall as it must be produced to get all the other things we need from a barrel of oil. plastics, fertiliser, asphalt etc.
Don’t they need to crack the crude oil to get the separate products, and there’s effort involved to extract a specific fraction?

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
Don’t they need to crack the crude oil to get the separate products, and there’s effort involved to extract a specific fraction?

No. The oil is heated and each component (petrol, diesel, asphalt etc) condenses at different temperatures. All components are unavoidably produced so you will always get each component so you have to use it or dump it. petrol was originally dumped until we found a use for it.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

Can't see that occurring....The original style hybrid cars ie prius were surposed to help reduce the number of petrol powered cars being on the road....Fair enough more are becoming available, but still don't seem to be making a real big impression on the market place......

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
EVs are growing in popularity but I don't see petrol only cars becoming obsolete in my lifetime.