Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Are VF's going to be collectables?

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
EVs are growing in popularity but I don't see petrol only cars becoming obsolete in my lifetime.

If market forces are left to their own devices the prices for EVs will come down from efficiency of scale but provided governments don’t outlaw ICEs then the price of petrol and diesel will reduce to the point they become competitive against EVs again.

As petrol and diesel must be produced regardless they could well become an actual byproduct again (we originally refined oil to get kerosene and the petrol and diesel etc were dumped as a byproduct) which would be good for ICE owners of course.

I’m sure the various governments around the world will have something to say about leaving it to market forces though!

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Won't bother me, I have no interest in buying a brand new vehicle. The second hand market will still have plenty of stock to see my life out.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
I think we’ve digressed quite far away from the original topic of this discussion so I’ll put my 2c worth in now!

I think the VFs will be worth money in the longer term but I think it’s going to take a long while for it to happen. Thing is that everyone knows that there will be no more Holdens so a lot more people are going the keep them in good condition and not thrash them.

What made Holden’s of yore worth money is that people treated them like **** when they were at the bottom of their valuation cycle and more and more ended up at the wreckers. This increased the values of those remaining. This is less likely to happen (or take a lot longer) now that everyone knows they definitely will be a collectors item in the future as the Holden name doesn’t exist anymore.

In my humble opinion though it’s going to be VEs that will be worth more in the future (specifically V8 manuals) because
A) They were allowed to hit a low valuation as you could pick them up for 8-9k a few years ago so a good amount of them have been thrashed.
B) The factory wasnt shutting at that point in time so people didn’t just buy them to keep on ice until they became a collectors item.
C) In the future when people are paying top dollar for a car they will want a head turner and the VE stands out better being an individual design and not euro looking and trying to blend in with the crowd.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Can't see that occurring....The original style hybrid cars ie prius were surposed to help reduce the number of petrol powered cars being on the road....Fair enough more are becoming available, but still don't seem to be making a real big impression on the market place......
Hybrids are just efficient ICE cars.
EV’s have their downsides at the moment, but the massive reduction in complexity & the infinite torque at standstill combines to make ‘em a really interesting appliance for the transportation of people & stuff.
With relatively large RHD markets like the UK banninating ICE sales in 10 year’s time, and the Japanese (the other big RHD market) very much being early adopters, I reckon we should expect to see a huge bloom of EV’s in just the next couple of years.

In my humble opinion though it’s going to be VEs that will be worth more in the future (specifically V8 manuals) because
A) They were allowed to hit a low valuation as you could pick them up for 8-9k a few years ago so a good amount of them have been thrashed.
B) The factory wasnt shutting at that point in time so people didn’t just buy them to keep on ice until they became a collectors item.
C) In the future when people are paying top dollar for a car they will want a head turner and the VE stands out better being an individual design and not euro looking and trying to blend in with the crowd.
I disagree; it’s not that VE’s will always just look more outdated & be less comfortable, it’s because the biggest component of future value - nostalgia - will remember them as lesser vehicles.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
I disagree; it’s not that VE’s will always just look more outdated & be less comfortable, it’s because the biggest component of future value - nostalgia - will remember them as lesser vehicles.

An SLR 5000 is objectively a lesser vehicle than everything after it but is still worth more money than nearly everything after it. Being a better or lesser vehicle doesn’t seem to have a lot to do with the future value of cars.

Like you say nostalgia plays a part and not many P platers were driving VFs. A lot were driving VEs. People want to buy the car of their childhood.

Sam_100

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6
"Wealth hording"?

Is that like saving money and making good investments?

I hear alot of people complaining about not having savings, investments and/or property, these same people seem to spend money on living the high life, going out, drinking, smoking taking out huge loans on fladhy cars.

I think people should be taught more about how to save for their future, and what is really required for a retirement that doesn't involve living in a tiny box and 2 minute noodles.

Good times
or buying the latest iphone when the one they have stills works perfectly

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
I reckon that the prices for Commodores has peaked.

Only so many people want a old thirsty V8.

Maybe in 20 or 30 more years they might go up again, but by then there will only be a handful left.

The car scene as I knew it in my youth is dead, the import scene was next to die a slow and painful death.

Kids that are into cars are into Euro now, where you can get 300kwatw from a 4 cylinder turbo with some breathing mods and a tune.

Most don't give 2 shits about the performance car scene, the 4wd offroad scene is bigger than any other car scene around where I live.

Kids now relate Commodores and Falcons and bogan cars, which, "isn't cool anymore you know".

Meh, my kids call me the king of the bogans because I drive a old noisy red V8 Commodore and ride a noisy black Harley.

I rock that ****.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
I reckon that the prices for Commodores has peaked.

Only so many people want a old thirsty V8.

Maybe in 20 or 30 more years they might go up again, but by then there will only be a handful left.

The car scene as I knew it in my youth is dead, the import scene was next to die a slow and painful death.

Kids that are into cars are into Euro now, where you can get 300kwatw from a 4 cylinder turbo with some breathing mods and a tune.

Most don't give 2 shits about the performance car scene, the 4wd offroad scene is bigger than any other car scene around where I live.

Kids now relate Commodores and Falcons and bogan cars, which, "isn't cool anymore you know".

Meh, my kids call me the king of the bogans because I drive a old noisy red V8 Commodore and ride a noisy black Harley.

I rock that ****.

True. Many kids now don’t even bother to get a car licence and just use public transport or an Uber. In my day getting your car licence was a right of passage and you couldn’t wait to get in a car, kids now are like meh, just give me an iPhone and I’m happy!

I think it’s going to take a long while for the values to go up from here. Like you said 20-30 years time they will be sought after and rare.

Subju

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport Tourer
a

Last edited: