Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Are VF's going to be collectables?

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
"Wealth hording"?

Is that like saving money and making good investments?

I hear alot of people complaining about not having savings, investments and/or property, these same people seem to spend money on living the high life, going out, drinking, smoking taking out huge loans on fladhy cars.

I think people should be taught more about how to save for their future, and what is really required for a retirement that doesn't involve living in a tiny box and 2 minute noodles.

Good times

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
My v8 commodore is both the best AND the dumbest investment i ever made!

you know what they say, smiles per gallon.

A V8, if it's something you want now is the best time to own one. Fuel comparatively is at an all time low and the vehicles are still affordable. In the future I see them becoming properly collectible, especially when electric cars are all the rage. They'll be like Vinyl and CRT's only the crazy and well heeled will be able to own them and more importantly run them.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I know I prefer to own and pay a mortgage rather than rent. I think property is one of the better investments. One you can have your big arse shed and fill it with cars and bikes and equipment. I'm pretty fortunate that could sell my home and have more than enough to pay out the mortgage on the block. I'd then fully own a 1500 m2 block with a 100 m2 shed. I have achieved this is less than 8 years. So I think essentially coming from 0 assets to having close to $200k of sellable assets in 7 years is not a bad saving plan. I think most people would struggle to save $21k a year for eight years and not whittle it away on cars and holidays over that period. I'd reckon if I didn't invest in property I wouldn't have much at all, certainly not $200k, it just rarely works out that way with trying to bank each week and cash in on the 1.5% interest in a term deposit.

Subju

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport Tourer
a

Last edited:

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I can see a day not far away when you won't be able to register it and drive it on the road, you are going to need a very expensive day pass.

yeah govco will just tax you because tax makes everything ok. just like "banning" single use bags then selling them. it's all OK because we banned them!

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
They'll be like Vinyl and CRT's only the crazy and well heeled will be able to own them and more importantly run them.

I play Vinyl but don't think I'm crazy nor well heeled.

Others may argue otherwise.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Wiil it be collectible....Probably....Will you be able to retire on it when the time comes to sell....Maybe...That depends whether you get some gullible twit wanting to pay a mint for your car..

Truth be known....It will rise in price...By how much no one knows, even if it is a base model.....If we did know, we would all collect them for that day...When it will happen...Again no one knows.....

Just look at VB to VS's.....Go back 10 years and you could pick up a fairly good condition one for $2,000 or so....Now people want $5,000 or so for a clapped out hunk of junk......

Moral of this post is, yes they will go up in value, but by how much and when, no one knows, so you'll have to be prepared to wait and keep an eye on the market

I also find that the internet drives up prices and this Holden closing is a pathetic excuse for prices to rise

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I can see a day not far away when you won't be able to register it and drive it on the road, you are going to need a very expensive day pass.

I say it's rubbish...The gov't has been saying for more years than I care to remember, they want to get old cars off the road for what ever reason.....Then on the other hand, there is all these rule changes, adding flexibility into getting a car on historic rego and alikes....Add in, having a car on historic rego is a crap load cheaper than normal rego....

eg...South Australia historic rego for a 6 cyl is $130 per year....Can use the car 90 days per year....Just have to fill in a log book, everytime you drive it....Don't need to ask someone to drive it

Normal 6 cyl car rego for 12 months is $790....

Have 4 cars on historic rego and do the math what is cheaper with rego for that period of time......

If they wanted to make it an expensive day pass, there is no way they would do all these changes

Rego costs have gone up $10 in 15 years for this scheme.....

Transfer fees and stamp duty, when putting a car on historic are non existant

Last edited: