Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ask the EX-Holden Technician

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
hey Dr Bob,
i have a 3.8 manual and one of the header tanks on the radiator is cracking so i'm looking to put a replacement on.
i get that series 2 vn ones will fit and also that i can also apparently use a v8 one which has extra rows.
my question is, which v8 (and even v6) radiators will fit using the existing shroud?

you will have to stick to the same series V6 radiator due to the difference in hoses etc, the v8 ones dont have the fan mounting brackets.

Rob

pow3rslave

DoNothing Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5.0L
doh, sorry dude, i totally forgot to post that mine's a vp, not the vn, so does your info still hold true? i thought vp > vn s2 were interchangeable

SS FIFTY

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Fifty
Gday Doc.

My VT Wagon is now 7 years old and has 230 000Ks on the clock, and is a stock as a rock Family car. It has mostly seen highway driving, and has never been in any accident. My problem is that the front strut towers are pulling in away from the guards, which means that the weld has broken. This seems to be a structural problem. Would you class this as normal wear and tear? This car is driven by my mother who i can guarantee doesn't flog it, and the front suspension hasn't been lowered or tampered with in any way. Have you seen this problem before?

Thanks,
Daniel

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
doh, sorry dude, i totally forgot to post that mine's a vp, not the vn, so does your info still hold true? i thought vp > vn s2 were interchangeable

yes try to stick to the same model, if you want more cooling you will have to get a custom radiator made.

Rob

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
Gday Doc.

My VT Wagon is now 7 years old and has 230 000Ks on the clock, and is a stock as a rock Family car. It has mostly seen highway driving, and has never been in any accident. My problem is that the front strut towers are pulling in away from the guards, which means that the weld has broken. This seems to be a structural problem. Would you class this as normal wear and tear? This car is driven by my mother who i can guarantee doesn't flog it, and the front suspension hasn't been lowered or tampered with in any way. Have you seen this problem before?

Thanks,
Daniel

yes ive seen it a bit, normally in a car that has been mistreated.
get a good panel shop to look at it you might find its just the sealer cracking.

Rob

Cobra30

Reaction score
Website
www.cobra30.com
Members Ride
VY V6 S2 Crewman
according to the service info the correct PPK for these is 5938
tell them to look it up under VYII Crew Cab.

Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks for that info..........
Talked to another dealer about this calibration and they were happy to do it. Dropped the Crewman off today and now they reckon that the 5938 is only applicable to the V8's and won't enter that setting for me because they can't guarantee that the speedo will be accurate.
Does the V6 have the same trans as the V8 ?

Now that they have plugged in the Tech 2, my car has suddenly developed the "fuel gauge error" and they haven't figured out how to fix it so the car is still there. I've seen this problem mentioned previously on this forum but now I can't a thread with the answer.
Is it a simple fix for them ?

Rowan

Cobra30

Reaction score
Website
www.cobra30.com
Members Ride
VY V6 S2 Crewman
Hi Rob,

Thanks for that info..........
Talked to another dealer about this calibration and they were happy to do it. Dropped the Crewman off today and now they reckon that the 5938 is only applicable to the V8's and won't enter that setting for me because they can't guarantee that the speedo will be accurate and they don't want to be held responsible in court.
Does the V6 have the same trans as the V8 ?

Now that they have plugged in the Tech 2, my car has suddenly developed the "fuel gauge error" and they haven't figured out how to fix it so the car is still there. I've seen this problem mentioned previously on this forum but now I can't a thread with the answer.
Is it a simple fix for them ?

Rowan

Fuel gauge error problem solved - Dealer issue, not VY issue. For some reason, they reprogrammed the fuel gauge as a factory gas gauge (Crewman has aftermarket gas). Dunno how they could screw that up - the gas gauge is on the cluster facia right under the main fuel gauge - ya really can't miss it !

Quized yet another dealer about the calibration and they are happy to do it next Friday.

Randy1

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR
Bump stops rear VR.

I will not answer or reply to stupid complaints.
I will answer to the best of my ability anything sensible.

Rob

Doctor Bob,
Having trouble finding info on neo. bump stops for rear of VR live axil.
Old ones are perished. 1994 model lowered with full pedders suspension.
I don’t want to put bake stock ones if there is a better alternarive.
When I look up this model they only quote ute bump stops not sedan.
Can you help me please.:bow:

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
Doctor Bob,
Having trouble finding info on neo. bump stops for rear of VR live axil.
Old ones are perished. 1994 model lowered with full pedders suspension.
I don’t want to put bake stock ones if there is a better alternarive.
When I look up this model they only quote ute bump stops not sedan.
Can you help me please.:bow:

personally i wouldnt worry with neo bump stops, there would be no real advantage from this, but if you really want to i would ask at pedders.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.