Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Audible tone

mouseno4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 '08 Ute
Can anyone decipher this audible tone, as captured by my dashboard video camera, from within my VU Commodore whilst driving normally on an open stretch of road?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtEcRm1luFI

(video is irrelevant so i cut it out to save upload time on useless information)

Second time this sound occurred. Second time i captured it, but the first had the microphone muted on the camera and thus completely missed it. First time i heard it, was right after starting the car for the day. No obvious problems with the car that i could tell, however i am not very knowledgeable of cars. Second time was whilst driving the car down a normal stretch of road a few km's under 100km/h - say 97km/h? My Overspeed alert is set for 100km/h and sounds very different and much louder.

These two occurrences have my perplexed as for one, i didnt know the car could even make these tones and two, there was zero visible warnings on the dashboard whatsoever.

If anyone can tell me what that tone means, preferably in lamens english, I would be much appreciated.

getmo29

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Olympic Edition S2 3.8
Sure it was not you're phone lol?
i have heard that noise some where before but not from the car.

getmo29

Reaction score
Members Ride
Usually all warning sounds come with a visual light going off on the cluster,
Unless a globe is blown

mouseno4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 '08 Ute
Sure it was not you're phone lol?
i have heard that noise some where before but not from the car.

LOL no. I know my phone inside and out. Nothing on the phone sounds remotely close to that (much less at that low volume).

mouseno4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 '08 Ute
Usually all warning sounds come with a visual light going off on the cluster,
Unless a globe is blown

If i knew what the alert sound meant, i could determine if a globe was blown on the dash. Checking a fuse is easy. Even i can do that. Checking a globe... yep no idea.

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
must only be a ute thing .........

do you have cruize on that beast ?

any extra things fitted in the cabin?

Last edited:

mouseno4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 '08 Ute
is it only a single alarm when done ...... or a repeater

must only be a ute thing

what if the audible speaker for that particular fault.. is broken or dry solder and not sounding the full sound

do you have cruize on that beast ?

any extra things fitted in the cabin

What you heard in that recording is all the tone is. It does not repeat and as far as i am aware, cannot be produced on command. I do have Cruise Control on this yes. However in both occasions i was not in active Cruise Control mode. Second time i was stuck behind a Toorak Tractor and whilst Cruise was on, it was not active.

The car has a pretty crap stereo system with fold out screen and have a camera attached to the camera cable from that to the rear number plate. Apart from that, nothing else. Stock standard speakers, no amplifier, sub-woofer or anything connected to the car. Obviously my dashboard video camera but since the sound is only barely audible in that recording, it is obviously not coming from the camera itself.

The sound seems to be emanating from somewhere on the drivers side, possibly underneath the steering wheel.

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
we are narrowing things down

wierd sound

.anyone got the owners handbook ..

Last edited:

getmo29

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have cruise Control and have never heard that noise,
I also think cruise control does not have an alarm.

That alarm does not seem like a cluster alarm anyway because they generally have 3 beeps and dont sound like that

Unless the ute cluster is different to Vx Vt but i wouldnt think so.

It is quite easy to remove the cluster and check the bulbs but probably wouldnt be worth the trouble.

Could always check for error codes

getmo29

Reaction score
Members Ride
I forgot to mention you can check all globes in hidden trip computer options

Hold mode and up while turning on the car then keep clicking mode untill all lights, light up like in the end of this video.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p86wpBtzRFE