Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Audio System Upgrade - VFII Calais V

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
my nav has not crashed (limited uses)
glare, i've not noticed any - but have no doubt you are experiencing it.
handfree is great - i have a sunroof, i have have it open and tell mylink lady to call and have a conversation. on the motorway.
bluetooth - nfi perfect on my use case of two identical phones
doors never play up

dunno about the other stuff got bored and stopped there.

I am not talking about the mylink mate, I am talking about the aftermarket system offered by kayhan audio.

Very different opinions here...
I have had mine for about 3 weeks now(aug 16th) and the vehicle is used 6 days a week for work so about 3 hours a day driving to and from mine sites.
my first impressions were good but after a week you start to notice the issues.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
OH RIGHT, sorry stooge!!

honestly when you said glare i thought the aftermarket one would be as it looks glossy.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
honestly when you said glare i thought the aftermarket one would be as it looks glossy.

it is bad like a mirror in some conditions.
I am looking into getting some film like this picture to solve the issue.
875331007093-2.jpg

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
maybe a matt/anti-glare ipad protector would be the go?

i've seen some and they so alright. and are designed for a touch screen.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Hello All,
Here is a link to a video I did: https://drive.google.com/open?id=11vgGp_ZYwVWA5VP04GrAus0yAsSG6Cs2

Excuse the monotone voice - it is what it is.

Also, the video was actually 3 smaller videos I put together. I was recording the video from my iPhone and when I switched to Car Play and played music of course the iPhone stopped recording video.

I wanted to provide some finer details on what is still missing. In the HUD with the MyLink you got NAV in the HUD. The NAV instructions in the HUD are no longer there, but I personally could live without that for the other benefits. Because the NAV is no longer integrated with the HUD, speed limits that were visible in the HUD are no longer visible in the HUD. Again I can live without that personally. Lane Departure warnings, the visuals all work as normal, but the audio alarms do not function. Forward collision alerts, the visuals work in the HUD as per normal, but the audible alarms do not. Again I can live without all the alarms, and there used to be many false positives anyway.

With respect to control buttons below the screen, they all so far are operational, the only one which is not is the NAV control button. When I raised this with Kayhan Audio, they advised that they built the integration to support the most basic model commodore which does not have NAV and does not have that button. So now the Tune/Menu knob when pressed fires up the NAV.

The Heated Seats all work, but the control buttons below the vents do NOT, nor do the lights in those buttons. But on the screen, you can turn on the heated seats and the screen icons have 3 lights that show the level of heat just like the control buttons used to on the dash. So as far as I am concerned, this is sufficient.

All other integrations seem to be functional. Automated dipping of passenger side reversing mirror on selection of reverse - Yes.
Blindspot detection in side mirrors - Yes
Lighting including puddle lights - Yes
Automatic door locking - Yes

All the above can still be changed via screen.

So in my mind so far, the level of integration is outstanding. It looks factory, and sounds great, and I can install apps, get Car Play, get Android Auto. To me so far it is a big tick.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the vid. As long as you are happy with it that's all that matters.

mfrancis1990

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais-V V8
Wow, polarizing.

Personally, I have not found issues with glare. I have not had any issues with the Hands-Free and I have used it quite a bit. I am sure there will be niggles with it, it is Android based after all. But I had niggles with the MyLink as well, with some sporadic issues with Bluetooth streaming from my iPhone and no sound.

My personal opinion, is I am happy with it. I didn't have any issues with Kayhan, quite the opposite with them calling me after we had initial niggles with the heated seats. I kept the MyLink just in case, and in case whoever eventually buys the car they want to put it back.

As I mentioned in the videos, I was not that happy with the iGo GPS software, so I replaced it with the TomTom Go software. As you can see in the video I still have some niggles with Dashcommand and the OBDII port. But I am pretty confident I can sort that as well.

So for me, I like the ability to customize and install apps, Spotify natively, Apple music natively, Youtube, Podcasts and apps like Dashcommand/Torque etc now embedded into the car, no phone, no tablet required. Personally I feel the sound is superior to the MyLink. I hesitated for 3 months before I pulled the trigger on this, I looked at Alpine, I looked at other alternatives. At this stage, I would not hesitate to recommend the system.

But time will tell.

RED LION

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline
They seem to bring out regular updates for it so thats promising.

Mayuri Krab

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SSV Redline, Mitsubishi 380 ES
I'm one of those people who don't have any issues with Mylink and think the sound quality for a stock system (Bose) is great.

Same

I pretty much only have 100ish "meh" quality mp3s saved on some decade old 4gb USB for music and most days I drive with no music anyway.

KLoNe

Reaction score
Members Ride
6.2L V8 Phantom VF2 Calais-V
Oh yeah, these niggling issues would piss me off to no end.