Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Auto Dimming Mirror - VF2 Installation

Poor old Dad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V
This "How-To" will assist in the installation of a Holden OEM self dimming rearview mirror.

I haven't listed all tools necessary as there are different ways to achieve the same result so it's meant primarily as a guide to the electrical connections and the routing of the wiring.

Thanks to forum member "cashie" who traced the mirror pinout in workshop manual.

This installation was carried out on a VF2 Calais V.
DOC connector pinout may be different in other models.

This is what we're installing - Gentex 13581082 (GNTX 689) - $165 from Holden dealer.
1a. OEM Mirror.JPG

Here is what I used for the electrical side

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Pr...rminals-Female-Blade-Red-2-8mm-18-Pack/120056 (terminals need to be "spread" a little to slide onto DOC connector pin)

https://www.bunnings.com.au/narva-2mm-x-7m-2-5amp-cable-speaker_p4430690

To begin, you may wish to disconnect car battery.

Remove glovebox (6 x 7mm screws), the LDW camera trim covers and the rearview mirror (T20 torx).

Glovebox was easy but bottom half of LDW trim cover took a bit of effort. Trick is to squeeze sides together while pulling down. It'll help if you have a gorilla to assist. Top half pulled out easily

1b. Trim Cover.JPG

The mirror electrical connector is a female 10-pin type of which 5 pins are used.

We are only interested in the RED wire (12v positive) and the WHITE/BLACK wire (Earth).

Rather than hunt around for a suitable male connector (if available) I chose to snip the wires at the base of the connector, trim back insulation, then solder the 2mm cable to the tails.

Connector removed, Red and White/Black wires stripped (other wires insulated separately then bundled together in heatshrink sleeving).
3. Trimmed wiring.JPG

Wires "tinned" and soldered
4. Join cable.JPG

Joins separately insulated with electrical tape and then bundled in heatshrink sleeving
5. Insulation.JPG

Centre of connector drilled out, reattached to mirror and insulated cable routed through
6. Joined cable route.JPG

Position mirror on mounting wedge. Lock in place with T20 torx head screw
7. Mirror Wedge.JPG

With mirror in position it is an easy job to pull down roof lining slightly, and, working towards passenger side, feed cable under it.
8. Mirror in Position.JPG

When you get to the passenger side A-Pillar there's a choice of unclipping A-Pillar cover (being wary of airbag connection) or feeding it down behind the door rubber.

My preference is to feed behind A-Pillar cover which is unclipped by pulling gently on it and then lifting it away from the A-Pillar. Don't yank on it too hard - the airbag connector is attached to the cover.
10. A Pillar.JPG

Continue routing cable to area behind (removed) glovebox.

In that area, find the DOC connector - it's easy to find, it's the only one there.
For ease of access, unclip the DOC connector from it's position.

I had previously installed a dashcam so in this next pic there is an extra wire (12v) connected to the DOC connector.
Ignore the yellow wire.
It is the red insulated wire (12v pos) and the white/grey wire (earth) that we are concerned with.

Connect 12v wire to the ACC pin of the DOC connector (circled)
Connect the earth wire to a suitable earth point (circled)
11. DOC Connections.JPG

Limited to 10 pics per thread so here is a close up of pin connection
https://imgur.com/a/ZocPZ

Check connections, potential cable chafing points, etc.

Reconnect battery (if disconnected).

To test mirror operation, turn ignition to "Accessories".
With finger, block mirror light sensor on the back of the mirror (windscreen side).
Shine a torch at mirror sensor at bottom centre of mirror.

If working correctly, mirror will immediately dim.
Turn torch off - mirror returns to normal.

Reclip DOC connector into position.
Tidy up loose cable, etc, and secure out of the way (there's plenty of room).
Replace glovebox.
Replace A-Pillar trim cover.
Replace LDW camera trim covers.

Congrats, you've got a working self-dimming mirror.
https://imgur.com/a/pdL1g

This is not a difficult procedure. When you've got the mirror in front of you and the glovebox and trim covers removed it'll be self-evident that it's a very straight forward job.

Happy to assist with questions on the way I installed it.

Last edited:

Sir Les

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 MY14
Well done POD -- very clear instructions and photos. Thank you!

cashie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V
Great job Poor Old, thanks for taking the time to detail your install.

Just installed one too, as I’ve only got a non-Redline SS-V I didn’t have the camera etc but everything else was much the same as yours, I used the earth in the doc connector for my dashcam and mirror.
Also, looking at the writing on the back of the mirror, is the sensor on the top or the bottom? I spun my mirror so mines on the top to make the writing upright, but seemed a little odd to me.

Last edited:

HoldenCalaisV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais-V Series 2
My MY17 VFII Calais-V has an electrochromatic auto dimming rear view mirror fitted from the factory.Is yours the pre MY17 model?

Poor old Dad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V
Also, looking at the writing on the back of the mirror, is the sensor on the top or the bottom? I spun my mirror so mines on the top to make the writing upright, but seemed a little odd to me.

Yeah, I think turned "up" it does look odd but also the rear window "fits" better with the sensor on the bottom.

Glad you fitted yours. It's a really worthwhile "mod".

HoldenCalaisV - Mine is a Apr 2016 build.

Last edited:

Redline16

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII SSV Redline Manual
Regarding this, I now have a spare one of these mirrors that I will sell cheap- it has a scratch on the mirror about 1cm long otherwise its fine if anyone wants one.

ocka02

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV 16 Redline
With the help of yourself and others, I have upgraded my 2016 Redline with this rearview mirror, foot well lights, rear interior light with reading lights. I want to also put side auto dimming on, I seen in this forum that a motorsport website has these but I can't find it.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
the only thing he missed was the reverse trigger so the mirror does not dim when you put the vehicle in reverse which should be triggered by adding 12v+ to the green wire from the reverse light.

MaxCommie689

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Calais V
With the help of yourself and others, I have upgraded my 2016 Redline with this rearview mirror, foot well lights, rear interior light with reading lights. I want to also put side auto dimming on, I seen in this forum that a motorsport website has these but I can't find it.

Did you mean auto-dimming ORVM?
I could be wrong here, but I don't think such an accessory exists for the Commodore/ Calais/ Caprice.