Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Auto Dimming Mirror - VF2 Installation

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I know i'm necro'ing an old thread but could someone advise on where the closest reverse trigger connection would be located please?
I didn’t think the internal auto dimming mirror used a reverse trigger?

The passenger side external mirror tilts when reverse is selected but I believe that’s a CAN bus (data) signal that is read by the mirror/seat memory module (not sure which one and what it’s called)…

Why do you need a reverse trigger?

Phillbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Black Edition V8
Just looking up the thread, there's a post regarding dimming when going into reverse. I'm going to add a genuine auto dim mirror to my VF2 and was just querying the connections

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just looking up the thread, there's a post regarding dimming when going into reverse. I'm going to add a genuine auto dim mirror to my VF2 and was just querying the connections
Ah, yes @stooge mentioned it post #9 and @Poor old Dad replied it wasn’t an issue for him in post #11 as reverse camera and side mirrors were enough.

The VF workshop manual PDF should have the electrochromic mirror wiring diagram specified within which should show where it gets all its signals (though it’s a PITA to navigate that doc even with bookmark pane showing).

Unfortunately my iPad doesn’t play nicely with that big pdf since some Apple update so can’t help atm. But if I get onto my computer later, and remember, I’ll drop a diagram here :p or you can download the manual from the link above and jump down the rabbit hole yourself ;)

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
The relevant section is under <Body Systems>< Mirrors> as seen in the bookmarks pane of your DPF reader...

Relevant sections are:

VF Mirror Description.JPG

VF Mirror Malfunction.JPG

VF Mirror Schematic.JPG

So it seems that the needed backup lamp control voltage used by the electrochromatic mirror is obtained from the body control module x7 connector pin 3 :cool:

I think the BCM is located on the right hand side of the steering column but not sure of it's exact location as i didn't look through the manual to confirm :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Phillbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Black Edition V8
So pin 3 on plug X7 from BCM - Green/white

Cheers and thanks for the info

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
The relevant section is under <Body Systems>< Mirrors> as seen in the bookmarks pane of your DPF reader...

Relevant sections are:

View attachment 253960
View attachment 253961
View attachment 253962
So it seems that the needed backup lamp control voltage used by the electrochromatic mirror is obtained from the body control module x7 connector pin 3 :cool:

I think the BCM is located on the right hand side of the steering column but not sure of it's exact location as i didn't look through the manual to confirm :rolleyes:
Bcm is behind RHS panel of drivers footwell.

MaxCommie689

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Calais V
Did you source the mirror assembly from? Australia?

Phillbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Black Edition V8
Just another small query. Would any of you know what the plug is called that connects to the mirror? I might try and source one as I'm thinking that if the Windscreen needs replacing, I want to easily disconnect the mirror prior.

I did make my own DOC connector though...

Attachments

• 20230803_075102.jpg
    20230803_075102.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 81