Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Balancers

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I’m planing on replacing the stock balancer. It looks pretty how ya goin.
A stock balancer isn’t much cheaper than a fancy one, so I was looking at getting a Scat balancer.
Engine is stock as far as I know.

So I’m reading up a bit and ending up down rabbit holes. Stuff about key ways etc.

Have I got it right that performance balancers need a key way and stock cranks don’t have a key way?

Or is it a case of just putting the bloody thing on.

Have the Proflow two piece front timing cover on the way as well.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
stock n/a crank is not pinned, but if u stay stock then u dont need the pin, its more for boosted and ur turning the blower also which adds alot more load to the pulley, usually a powerbond is good replacement

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I've used a few Powerbond balancers. Never had a problem and nice bit's of gear.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Do you have both the install tool and removal tool @Fu Manchu ?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
yea u will need a longer bolt to get it back on, and on that note if u do get ARP bolt make sure u get the right length as there are two LS lengths longer is early LS1 and the shorter is the gen4 on as far as i know

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
yea u will need a longer bolt to get it back on, and on that note if u do get ARP bolt make sure u get the right length as there are two LS lengths longer is early LS1 and the shorter is the gen4 on as far as i know
The install tool is the go IMHO, rather than mess with a longer bolt. Because you require multiple resets it's definitely worth the few dollars it costs.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
The install tool is the go IMHO, rather than mess with a longer bolt. Because you require multiple resets it's definitely worth the few dollars it costs.
i had my mechanic accidently got the longer LS bolt and didnt need it so done it for a good price for me to get them on so i just use that, i havnt actually seen any of the install tools and just use a 3 poll puller to get it off as i already had powerbond fitted

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
i had my mechanic accidently got the longer LS bolt and didnt need it so done it for a good price for me to get them on so i just use that, i havnt actually seen any of the install tools and just use a 3 poll puller to get it off as i already had powerbond fitted
What's a three pole puller?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
1700209484899.png

This is not the best one but it's similar to mine. Mine has a hex head on the end.