Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ban those old cars!!!!!

rtmpgt

Reaction score
Website
www.pgt.design
Members Ride
2010 VE1.5 SV6 Ute
You can crush old cars, but you can't crush stupidity. It will be round a lot longer than a VF2.

The NRMA is currently showing a doozy of an advert. It shows a woman sleeping at the wheel, a semi-trailer coming in the other direction, driver asleep ...... the moral of the story "Until all our cars can drive themselves, Drive Safe". (it is not even grammatically correct ........ "Drive Safely")
How many English language deficient drivers are going to see it and think that it is OK to drive while asleep ...... seems OK by the NRMA.

@rtmpgt ............... too much logic there. You will confuse the greenies, climate change addicts and Tesla fan-boys.

Yeah, you gotta remember that Lithium's gotta come from some place. Not to say that there's no point to buying an EV, I'd argue that if you were to buy new, that's exactly what i'd go towards if you're only ever going to drive within the city.

But until your average EV matches the price to range ratio of a ICE car it's never gonna bloody happen. They're getting there, but they're relying on early adopters and such to make the jump.

Good example here is the Tesla Model 3 vs the BMW 320i. Both will set you back about $80k.
Now, the beemer is much better put together, offers a longer range (which is more important for most users) and allows you to live in an apartment, all whilst having the comfortable safety features you want. Sure, it's more expensive to maintain but given Tesla's rather dodgy build quality, and their penchant for dicking their customers over you'd half think that anyone with a brain would buy the BMW, given that even after 5 years, with proper maintenance it'll survive.

To also add, both cars put a massive dent on the environment, so even if you do buy into the climate hype, you're still punching the planet right in the taint by buying new. You gotta make 'em, stick 'em on a ship, and then sell them here. Honestly if they cut out the shipping and keep the mining, manufacturing and infrastructure within Australia, i could say that going with the EV is a good idea. But since we don't bloody make cars anymore, there's no point, unless the cost of an EV matches the cost and range of a car in that segment.

Honestly half of these Greenie types are better off buying a used Prius or perhaps an older diesel or a dinky fourbanger car as opposed to going to a new EV as the energy cost of producing the damn car is already spent by the previous owner. Or hell, they're better off riding a bicycle to work. You can't own an EV in an apartment so you may as well get onya pushie. Might be able to build some muscle mass then. lmao.

Also, self-driving aids make drivers complacent. If you need all those aids to drive a car, take the damn bus.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Western Australia has large deposites of Lithium and fricken huge mines digging it up. It’s a global player from what I’m told.

Just saying.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Part of the reason I bought the Cross 8 is about buying an older car. It uses less fuel than my V6 Crewman, will remain serviceable for a long time to come (having one of the world’s most popular engines).

I’d prefer to reuse than recycle. It bothers me how much energy is used to build a new car, ship a new car, store a new car, then finally sell the new car. Then it’s so technically advanced, not even manufactures can fault find or repair. Then we get perfectly good efficient cars written off because the computer systems can’t be repaired affordably or because the onboard computers are no longer made. It’s not about efficiency in my opinion. It’s about the perception of efficiency.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
Part of the reason I bought the Cross 8 is about buying an older car. It uses less fuel than my V6 Crewman, will remain serviceable for a long time to come (having one of the world’s most popular engines).

I’d prefer to reuse than recycle. It bothers me how much energy is used to build a new car, ship a new car, store a new car, then finally sell the new car. Then it’s so technically advanced, not even manufactures can fault find or repair. Then we get perfectly good efficient cars written off because the computer systems can’t be repaired affordably or because the onboard computers are no longer made. It’s not about efficiency in my opinion. It’s about the perception of efficiency.

The cost of registration seems to be the biggest factor why older cars (10-15 years) get palmed off to the wreckers. Throw in a basic repair like new tyres or a new alternator plus registration and all of a sudden a perfectly good car worth $2k-$4k gets thrown away.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
The cost of registration seems to be the biggest factor why older cars (10-15 years) get palmed off to the wreckers. Throw in a basic repair like new tyres or a new alternator plus registration and all of a sudden a perfectly good car worth $2k-$4k gets thrown away.
The big problem now is the cost of repairing cars given all the technology involved in them and difficulty in repairing them. As soon as you require any kind of engine or gearbox repair on a car worth 5 grand or less the car is basically bin fodder if you cant do the work yourself.

It’s value is only in the fact it’s running. Once it’s not running anymore (even if it only requires a couple of hundred dollars in parts to fix) it basically becomes worthless. That’s not how it should be if we actually care about the environment and global warming.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I tend to see people palming old cars off to wreckers is because they get dazzled by all the newer fan dangled gadgetery these cars come with, when compared to the older stuff....Then factor in, knuckled heads spruking driving a newer car is safer than an older car....So lets turf the older car because we can't drive, because that's what that boils down to

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ

Latest Toyota TV advert ........... got a squeekey door, or wipers that are a bit out of alignment ....... go see the hot red dress chicky babe, she can sell you a new car.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Latest Toyota TV advert ........... got a squeekey door, or wipers that are a bit out of alignment ....... go see the hot red dress chicky babe, she can sell you a new car.

As long as she swollows....The lube supplied can then be used to solve that squeek :D

Woops, a sexist comment that I should be ashamed of

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I tend to see people palming old cars off to wreckers is because they get dazzled by all the newer fan dangled gadgetery these cars come with, when compared to the older stuff....Then factor in, knuckled heads spruking driving a newer car is safer than an older car....So lets turf the older car because we can't drive, because that's what that boils down to
New cars are safer than old cars in a crash (Takata issues aside).

There are plenty of YouTube videos showing 20 year old (or greater) models crashing into their modern brethren. From these videos it’s obvious newer is safer.

and new small car crashing into old Holden

Having said that, I wonder how many crashes occur in modern cars because of all the new gadgets these modern cars contain which create a lot of driver distraction. Yes, technically safer in a crash if your in a new car but maybe you’d probably be involved in more crashes than if you were in its old brethren without those distractions :rolleyes:

Last edited: