Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

battery life

lmfvf2ssredlineute

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf2 ssv redline lmf ute
i posted this some time ago and wondering how are other members going with there car batteries
i bought two 2017 redlines new and both batteries are still going strong
my ebay load tester says both battery's are ok
5 years is good for a car that runs lots of power draining stuff
anyone with a 2017 car replaced one yet
these ac- delco batteries seem to be good quality and worth replacing with same

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
i posted this some time ago and wondering how are other members going with there car batteries
Those Delco batteries get good reviews. May help that they no longer cop engine heat too.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Throwing on a quality multi stage trickle charger on during "down time" helps alot, especially during colder months

My bike lives on a trickle charger, and the car has it's own hooked up every so often or if the car is going to sit around unused for a while

I have connectors like the image below wired to the batteries of the car and bike for ease of quickly connecting my 7 stage chargers

images.jpeg-31.jpg

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
I purchased two cars in 2017 like yourself. The one I drive every day is fine still but in 2020 I replaced the battery in my Director. A mate also has an SS built within a week of my Director and his battery died too.

My first VF Calais V was sold after 4 years with original battery. my VE Calais sold after 6 years with original battery. The location of the battery in the boot helps prolong the battery's life.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Throwing on a quality multi stage trickle charger on during "down time" helps alot, especially during colder months

My bike lives on a trickle charger, and the car has it's own hooked up every so often or if the car is going to sit around unused for a while

I have connectors like the image below wired to the batteries of the car and bike for ease of quickly connecting my 7 stage chargers

View attachment 243308
I throw the charger on mine every couple of months, just to ensure every so often it gets a full charge. The batteries in the VE and VF take a while to charge and require the right type of charger, one capable of fully charging a calcium. Mine takes about 14-16hrs to reach full and I drive it most days. A small CTEK would probably work. Mine is a Repco 8amp and takes forever, a 16amp would be better suited I think.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
The biggest killer of car batteries is heat. The VE/VF series Commodores having the battery in the boot is already winning half the battle against entropy.

I never had a battery in my old VE SV6 last less than 7 years. Every other car I‘ve ever owned would be lucky if it made 5 years out of a battery because they were mounted in the engine bay.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
My SV6 is from 2014. It gets started several times about every second day (shopping etc), less often during the height of Covid.
I noticed some deterioration in the battery in early 2021 and bought a Ctek 5A charger.That kept it alive for another 6 months.
7 years out of the battery.
Replaced with the V8 rated AC Delco battery. The starter motor rotates at high speed every time I turn the key. That is my indicator of stored electricity quality (calibrated as oomphs per second or something).
My other car, the SSV which is a bit newer starts up once a week on average. It had its battery changed at much the same time.
I give it some Ctek love every couple of weeks.
It's starter motor also rotates at a high number of oomphs.

hjtrbo

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T / HJ Ute / VF2 R8
Yep, I'll add to the discussion. Late 2015 LSA V8, Still on the original battery. Never used a maintenance charger on it. It's the quality battery and the 'smart' alternator that keeps them alive for so long.