Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

battery life

Simmo68

Reaction score
Members Ride
Monaro CV8R S3 , VF Commodore Wagon SS S1
I have 2016 SS still with OEM battery. No issues. Can't complain
6 years is quite a good life span Ron, I have a 2013 SS and now it has a Yuasa battery, still strong enough but the crank speed seems to have dropped off a tad.
I'm going to get the CCA tested today, just to be sure!

zappaboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 Sportswagon, Motorsport Auto VE Ute
Replaced the OEM AC Delco battery last month on my 2013 Calais V wagon after doing 200,250km

pabxman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Storm
My SV6 is eight and a half years old and still has the original battery. I know I'll need a new one soon, so I bought one today off ebay.

It's the premium AC Delco S56838. It's listed at $189 but atm it's $151.20 (20% off) for black friday sale with the code "FRIBLK20"

Good deal for anyone in Sydney, as it's local pick-up only from Smithfield

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/144781231267

lmfvf2ssredlineute

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf2 ssv redline lmf ute
no son it is you that does not understand how the electrical system in a modern vehicle works, you sit around an beard stroke up assumptions on how the system works but you have NFI what you are talking about.
no it dixks like you making stupit comments
i only asked how other members battery's where lasting holding up after so many years
as a mechanic, machinist and engine builder i know how a car works lol your the smart ass
if you carnt reply to post in a civil and polite manner pizz off
these forums are to help people with there cars
not stupid school kiddy remarks, GROW UP

lmfvf2ssredlineute

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf2 ssv redline lmf ute
it seems the factory ac delco batteries last a long time, as other members have stated being in the boot
helps alot with less engine bay heat, working in the trade i have seen alot of battery cases swollen from boiled engine bay heat
i guess after 5-6 years it may be prudent to replace and be on the safe side
or as another member stated carrying a portable jump starter pack just incase
the most life i have had is around 5 years with century batteries but thats in older non efi cars,
the VFs run draw lots of power compared to older cars but i think i will try and stretch mine out to 7 years using a load battery tester
and just get another ac delco replacement battery as they seem to last
thanks all for the good replys, and i hope the thread helps others with there battery life and replacement in vf commodores

Tay Nankervis

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 Black Ed wagon (SOLD FEB 2023)
Circumstantially, the battery can last a very long time; 7 to 9 years is common with a number of earlier (2013)VFs still running original batteries; there will usually only be a surprise warning — when the battery is load tested that it is on the way out. Replacing it then, and not "oh, it'll be fine for a few more months" is better than being stuck in a cold car park late at night. A lot depends not just on the VF's battery charge-discharge management system, but how the car is driven. Repeated short drives in cold weather (winter, especially) where the engine doesn't reach proper and sustained operating temperature; leaving consumers on (radio, a/c, lights etc.) all add up to shortening the battery's service life. Plenty of cars fall into this category of driving unfortunately. My VF recently serviced with 5 year old battery and given excellent health check (AC Delco). Have seen it only once or twice before, tucked cosily away in the back. I regularly run (long!) rings around SW Victoria each and every week (95,000km so far). No wallflower, this car.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
no it dixks like you making stupit comments
i only asked how other members battery's where lasting holding up after so many years
as a mechanic, machinist and engine builder i know how a car works lol your the smart ass
if you carnt reply to post in a civil and polite manner pizz off
these forums are to help people with there cars
not stupid school kiddy remarks, GROW UP

again you have NFI about modern vehicle electronics and you can be a shopping trolley mechanic all you like and machine balsa wood until the cows come home or a rc car engine builder to your hearts content but dont make stupid comments in regards to systems you know nothing about ;)

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I never gave any thought to the fact the battery in my 2016 SSV Ute may be getting to the end of its life.

I drive it a few times a week, it’s just stop and start stuff, a ten minute run to the shops and the same back home and that’s about it for the six years I’ve owned it. It’s been to Sydney about ten times which is an hour away, to the Gold Coast once which is a nine hour drive there and back and back home to my folks three times with is a sixteen hour round trip. It has just turned over 20,000K and I’ve never trickle charged it, so all up I haven’t been kind to the battery.

It sits next to my old 2010 C63 which still has the same battery since I bought it new twelve years ago.

It has 30,000k on the clock and I drive it about once every four or five months up to the shops and back. It hasn’t been started in over two months so out of curiosity I just walked out and hit the starter and she kicked straight up without any lag. I do trickle charge it once or twice a year for two or three days if I happen to think of it. A Mercedes tech once told me because I rarely drive it I should make sure I put it to sleep when I’m not using it. I had a habit of leaving the cars unlocked in the garage but he said to lock it as that would shut down most of the systems and give the battery a fighting chance and he also said as STOOGE has already voiced, that the car has a good Alternator and the electronics are smart enough to look after the charging system.

So if you drive your car regularly and have a good battery the car should look after itself and a 6 year battery life should be reasonably common.

MaxCommie689

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Calais V
My 2016 Calais V is still on its original battery. I live in a unit and hence I don't have the luxury of trickle charging. I take her out on 2-3 hour trips once every few months - but the daily run-around is the stop-start kind. I do make it a point to activate the "transport mode" if I know that the car will not be driven for more than 2 weeks. The longest hibernation of that nature, lasted approx. two months. Came back to find that the remote unlocking, remote start, panic mode etc. was not working. Got in by manually unlocking using the key, deactivated the transport mode and she fired up at first try - after a little bit of hestitation. Warmed up and went for an hour long drive and everything was back to normal. Called up an NRMA tech to do a check-up and he gave the battery and the charging system an 'all clear'.

But off late, I have started noticing the odd electronic anomaly - MyLink not remembering my audio settings, the odd error message on MID etc. With the experience shared by others on this forum, I think it is safe to assume that the OE batteries will last 6-7+ years with minimal care.

Mayuri Krab

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SSV Redline, Mitsubishi 380 ES
My 2016 car is still on its original battery, I went through more batteries for the key fob (2 now) than the actual battery for the car.