Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best Headlight globes for depth

zappaboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 Sportswagon, Motorsport Auto VE Ute
This globe has ultimately failed and the drivers side used to put up this error from time to time. It no longer does it as in the passenger side headlight currently has a temporary cheap halogen being used. The globes causing the error were HIDS purchased from AEI performance. I found that they had less depth than the original halogens. Apart from being halogens, the original low beam globes installed by Holden were deliberately long life globes due to the auto headlight feature. This is why in part why they last so long but are dimmer than other halogens. It is all a trade off. In my research for a the globe replacement, it would seem that most of the high performance globe independent of type usually listed as having a lifespan of only 1500 hours. which is disappointing. I suppose due to the age of our VF's now, this may not a problem.

Last edited:

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
The globes causing the error were HIDS purchased from AEI performance. I found that they had less depth than the original halogens.
They claim 300% more light than stock halogens with no canbus errors. Astonishingly it seems, another supplier caught telling lies!

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
They claim 300% more light than stock halogens with no canbus errors. Astonishingly it seems, another supplier caught telling lies!
I love my AEI HIDs probably not 300% more but so much better than halogens. Definitely have not found any depth issues.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I love my AEI HIDs probably not 300% more but so much better than halogens. Definitely have not found any depth issues.
Did your HID's show canbus errors?

I think the 300% better light claims, the expectation is greater depth and shine down the road further than halogens. The Narva Gen2 LED conversion I did a couple of years ago, definitely had a better light spread and were ultimately better than stock halogens but had no more depth and didn't shine down the road further on high or low beam. The depth that interested me the most, was underwhelming.

There's a new Gen3 Narva H9 LED specifically for reflector high beam I'm tempted to try for depth improvement.

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Did your HID's show canbus errors?

I think the 300% better light claims, the expectation is greater depth and shine down the road further than halogens. The Narva Gen2 LED conversion I did a couple of years ago, definitely had a better light spread and were ultimately better than stock halogens but had no more depth and didn't shine down the road further on high or low beam. The depth that interested me the most, was underwhelming.

There's a new Gen3 Narva H9 LED specifically for reflector high beam I'm tempted to try for depth improvement.
No canbus errors. I think they do have better depth, almost more 'penetration' into the darkness for want of a better word - is this depth?
They have a much better light spread and 'fill' - there are no dark spots before the cut off unlike halogens.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Me too. No CANBUS errors ever.
All 3 utes have AEI HID H7 conversions.

Geoff6666

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 1 SSV UTE 6M Phantom
I don't care about depth or spread or brightness. The stock ones work ok for my use.
However, I would like recommendations on which ones dazzle oncoming drivers the most! I want to be as annoying as possible!!!
Priorities!

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
This globe has ultimately failed and the drivers side used to put up this error from time to time. It no longer does it as in the passenger side headlight currently has a temporary cheap halogen being used. The globes causing the error were HIDS purchased from AEI performance. I found that they had less depth than the original halogens. Apart from being halogens, the original low beam globes installed by Holden were deliberately long life globes due to the auto headlight feature. This is why in part why they last so long but are dimmer than other halogens. It is all a trade off. In my research for a the globe replacement, it would seem that most of the high performance globe independent of type usually listed as having a lifespan of only 1500 hours. which is disappointing. I suppose due to the age of our VF's now, this may not a problem.
1500 hrs is a long time. Halogen bulbs blow out well before that

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I think they do have better depth, almost more 'penetration' into the darkness for want of a better word - is this depth?
My definition of depth is an overpass on an unlit road around our way for example, you can see the roadway under the overpass in an FG Falcon with stock halogens on high beam about 150 metres further back than the VF high beams. Depth for me, is how far the headlights shine down the road.

zappaboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 Sportswagon, Motorsport Auto VE Ute
As the near side AEI Performance HID has now failed, I have installed a cheap temporary $20 halogen globe. As the drivers globe is a HID, I can confirm that the HID has no more depth. The difference is the colour (whiter) and brighter and more light. Able to compare the two, I am not sure if the HIDS are actually better lights. I am of the opinion, the more light gives the impression of a better light but as the depth of the light is no better and in my case less, depending on the useage depth is paramount, the HIDs are inferior. Just my two bobs worth. My recent usage of a hire Car (hybrid stroller) had either HIDs or LED lights as they are very bright but both the low and high beam had no depth especially the high beam. Driving in the country every day, it was very obvious to me as I have a 2011 VE ute with all halogens (original), the 2013 VF wagon HIDs and halogen high beam (original) and the MSE all orignal halogens and all the halogens in the commodores have more depth than the stroller. While the comparison is only between these 4 cars and comments in this thread have not convinced me or provided any evidence that HIDs and LED globes actually provide any more depth. Maybe this is not possible. My research has indicated that some of the high end halogens state that they have more depth ie 30% to 50% more depth than standard halogen globes but I have not found any evidence to prove this outside maybe just marketing. One thing that has been shown is that these type of globes as they are brighter do not last as long and in some cases actually burn the headlight outer casing. I have seen some H7 halogen globes that are 65w, would these the globes burn out quicker and damage the headlight casing.