Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Block Their Shot

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I guess this is where NZ and Aussie differers, our speed cameras are generally semi-hidden, they are not marked or sign posted in any way. They change the type of vehicles used. Previously all speed cameras were in vans, now they use people movers, fully tinted windows so parked in a line of other vehicles along the road side they are almost impossible to pick unless you are looking for em.

Fortunately for me, I'm very good at picking them :)

There is one camera that likes to park up in the school zone (mandatory 40km/h with no tolerance during the morning and afternoon when schools start/finish) not far from me, I have no issue with this as speeding around schools should have zero tolerance anyway. The only issue is, it's there at 6am when there aren't any kiddies going to school!

NU13

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 E1 HSV GTS Manual
Question for those defending the police and cameras. It is a fact that slow drivers cause accidents. People behind slow drivers get frustrated and take risks to get in front, particularly if there is a build up of traffic behind the slow driver. If the police are so focused on road safety and saving lives and not as many of us believe....making money....why haven't slow drivers been targeted by the police?

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
If these mobile cameras are only being used in areas identified as high risk with lots of accidents, why do they get them to sit on high speed roads, along straight stretches where people never actually have accidents? One of these roads has a straight section 2km long and this is where the camera is always parked - usually about 5 metres away from the edge of the road to try to avoid being seen by everyone. The other road where it gets parked has a similar very straight section, and the camera is usually parked in the southbound direction not far from a smooth left-hand curve. The biggest problem with the camera being in that position is not because you can get caught speeding, but because you then can't overtake the clowns who've been doing 20km/h below the limit along the whole damn road.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
I really hate that we have become so focused on staring at our speedos than staring at the actual road.

Cruise control...

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Question for those defending the police and cameras. It is a fact that slow drivers cause accidents. People behind slow drivers get frustrated and take risks to get in front, particularly if there is a build up of traffic behind the slow driver. If the police are so focused on road safety and saving lives and not as many of us believe....making money....why haven't slow drivers been targeted by the police?

Are you able to share a source supporting this fact?

I agree, slow drivers are frustrating and in extreme cases they are a road hazard. However, to police and enforce this there would be a LOT of grey areas and very difficult to take someone driving too slow to court.

Traffic conditions, weather conditions and road conditions could all contribute to someone needing to travel under the speed limit. So where would you draw the line? 10kmph under illegal? Way too many variables that could contribute to a driver needing to travel that much under. 20kmph? Well now we are saying that's it's OK to drive 80kmph in a 100kmph zone which is going to cause traffic issues so what's the point?

With going over the limit, it's more black and with since there are almost no justifiable reasons to travel over the set limit. Easy to enforce.

I don't feel that speed is a killer. And I get very frustrated when I see TAC campaigns or the like claiming that speed is the biggest killer, etc.

Stupid or uneducated drivers who make bad choices are the biggest killer. People are simply either too stupid to drive properly or simply cannot do it. I cannot water ski just the same as some people are literally unable to drive.

The reason I have no issue with speed cameras, is they are a way to identify these drivers on mass and penalise them for their bad driving in general.

Anyway, that's the way I look at it.

I don't have an issue with speed camera's because I find that my mentality towards them is supported by my driving record.

I like to think that I am an above average driver, but that's only because based on observation the 'average' driver in Australia is shockingly bad.

I drive in accordance with the rules as much as I can, I don't drive with my eyes glued to the speedo and am able to generally tell the speed largely through experience.

I haven't had a single driving infringement since about 2007, I haven't had an accident since 2004 and I clock up on average 600-700km a week on suburban, highway and city roads, so drive an average amount.

This is why I struggle to understand why people complain about speed camera's as if you chose to drive in accordance with the rules then there isn't any 'traps' or 'cops out to get me'.

Hell, even when I had the VZ clubby which was a cop magnet I still never got an infringement.

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
Meanwhile in the USA....
Some people want to save people from harming themselves (glorified babysitting) with technologies such as the self driving automobile.... The other side sees them as a loss in revenue.

I think, in the way we are. Is better to speed up. If you get caught money is collected, you die, we are saving resources. Win-Win situation.

Of course, is a sarcastic post.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
A few years ago NZ cops actually made a big deal about dealing with drivers that are holding up others and travelling to slowly for the conditions. This was during one of the very first 4km/h low speed tolerance weekends, they even showed a light aircraft monitoring traffic flows for slow vehicles holding up others (trying to sell the idea to the public). however the reality is somewhat different between what they say and what they do.

The reality is though it comes down to driver competence and humility. The NZ road code clearly states that if you are holding up traffic you should move over to let them pass this however doesn't seem to happen. Probably a good indicator that they also don't use their mirrors either.

It is not uncommon to see someone cruising along in a camper doing 70-80km/h in a 100km/h zone totally oblivious to the queue of cars behind them, sometimes many kilometres long. I've been in this situation and when you eventually get past em it's like the driver is in his own little world, doesn't even notice the people passing including the odd drivers who show their disgust with a finger or generous use of the horn.

Unfortunately here in NZ we don't have dual carriage ways between major cities. most of NZ's main/major highways are still only single carriage ways with no separation between opposing traffic other than a white painted line winding their way up and down through the country side. Hell, once you get towards the top of NZ the main highway isn't even sealed yet :(

Fortunately for me, when every other idiot is out on the roads stuck in traffic I'm at home smiling and been happy in the fact I'm not stuck in traffic. I put a little more thought/planning into my holidays :)

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Cruise control...

Wonderful bit of technology on free flowing roads. Shame barely any of the cameras I see are on them.

If you can maintain cruise control on Springvale Road which is an 80kmph zone for more than 30 seconds ill give you a medal.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
Are you able to share a source supporting this fact?

I agree, slow drivers are frustrating and in extreme cases they are a road hazard. However, to police and enforce this there would be a LOT of grey areas and very difficult to take someone driving too slow to court.

Traffic conditions, weather conditions and road conditions could all contribute to someone needing to travel under the speed limit. So where would you draw the line? 10kmph under illegal? Way too many variables that could contribute to a driver needing to travel that much under. 20kmph? Well now we are saying that's it's OK to drive 80kmph in a 100kmph zone which is going to cause traffic issues so what's the point?

With going over the limit, it's more black and with since there are almost no justifiable reasons to travel over the set limit. Easy to enforce.

I don't feel that speed is a killer. And I get very frustrated when I see TAC campaigns or the like claiming that speed is the biggest killer, etc.

Stupid or uneducated drivers who make bad choices are the biggest killer. People are simply either too stupid to drive properly or simply cannot do it. I cannot water ski just the same as some people are literally unable to drive.

The reason I have no issue with speed cameras, is they are a way to identify these drivers on mass and penalise them for their bad driving in general.

Anyway, that's the way I look at it.

I don't have an issue with speed camera's because I find that my mentality towards them is supported by my driving record.

I like to think that I am an above average driver, but that's only because based on observation the 'average' driver in Australia is shockingly bad.

I drive in accordance with the rules as much as I can, I don't drive with my eyes glued to the speedo and am able to generally tell the speed largely through experience.

I haven't had a single driving infringement since about 2007, I haven't had an accident since 2004 and I clock up on average 600-700km a week on suburban, highway and city roads, so drive an average amount.

This is why I struggle to understand why people complain about speed camera's as if you chose to drive in accordance with the rules then there isn't any 'traps' or 'cops out to get me'.

Hell, even when I had the VZ clubby which was a cop magnet I still never got an infringement.

i can see the future, cars fitted with gps speed governors. car wont go over the speed of the zones its driving in. that will fix speeding tickets once and for all... if it was up to the australian gov they would probably make speed governors illegal, would lose money...

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman LS1, VX Commodore
I actually like cruise control but it won't save your ass if you pass a speed camera on a down hill section of road.

Well, I slapped down that argument too, anything else?

well, as I've said before it's illegal where I live for speed cameras to be placed on downhill stretches of road or at the bottom of a hill. also, take note that the OP was referring to speed cameras and their effectiveness in australia and our respective laws regarding them and it's clear that NZ has a different approach. maybe your point of view on the matter would be different if your government did things differently.

as for the revenue raising claims, how else do you get the message across to stop speeding and how else would you punish speeders without imposing a cash fine? if it was some kind of other punishment, such as community service or the like instead of a fine to be paid you can bet the claims that speed cameras are "revenue raisers because I got flashed for going a few k's over" would not be thrown about as they are now. it gets thrown about because people want to keep their money and they groan about having to pay up.