Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S Pack Ute
How about we educate him and not just be a a bunch of tools like the ones that created that law.

Yeah you are right and I offer my apologies to VR ST3LTH for my part in being one of the tools.

A blow off valve is an outlet that shunts extra air-pressure/boost out of the intake piping into the atmosphere when you close the throttle.
This is to prevent the excess air from "bouncing back" off the now closed throttle butterfly and surging through the turbo/supercharger, often in the case of a turbo making it spin the wrong way/slow down way too much for a short period.
This surging of air going the wrong way through the turbo is what you hear when a car is "dozing".

A blow off valve may sound cool but that is not the intention of it. The intention is to safe guard your very expensive turbo/supercharger.

Putting one on a N/A engine won't work as there is not pressure to release. Also any self-respecting car enthusiast will call you all sorts of things, chief among them being "ricer".

Basically "VR ST3LTH", don't do it. Save your money and your reputation. Put the money into a decent cold air intake or, if you must have noise, buy some decent speakers.

[/end edumacation]

VryNeat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL EXEC
why dont u just put a compressor in ur boot and have a switch on the side of the shifter then when ur driving take ur foot of the accelrator then push the buttom so not only will u have blow off but itll look like ur in a manual!!!!

commomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr berlina
I joined this site to gain knowledge and share share my own.
Not sure what some of you are here but i see that the stupid question to some of us is just a learning curve for others. Spend your time on here wisely.

VryNeat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL EXEC
I joined this site to gain knowledge and share share my own.
Not sure what some of you are here but i see that the stupid question to some of us is just a learning curve for others. Spend your time on here wisely.

its a bit of fun he knows its a laugh and we all do it, wheres my tea spoon and bag of cement sounds like its needed

Marcho

Marcho"s R.I.D.E
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Accliam S2
A BOV does not work from a shift kit in the gearbox dude.
If what you are saying is correct the bloke in your town that told you this is full of S.H.I.T don't pay any attention to him he will just cost you money.

sp001in

vyma100
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ute
What he is saying has merit.

A blow off valve, attached to a solenoid that was seeing pressures of anything over 8psi, would actually give off the same sound. but it would be very very short. and almost not audible unless it was an excessively small BOV with a trumpet.

you can get these from autobarn for around $60.00.

I don't know alot about auto's mate. I've heard of changing to corvette solenoids and everything on here (but I'm lost).

I think your idea sounds cool, but that is where it ends. I am a former ricer however (flame away)

as for the shift kit for the auto. I have a stage 3 in my VY. it shifts very abruptly, stage 2's are more direct than a standard box. and are great for towing, and little bit of performance.

I also have a 3500rpm stally in my box, and a Motec 600 ECU. which is kinda pointless considering I have a standard V6 almost. but the motec is out of my et pulsar which got written off (not at fault) so I put it to good use. It runs low 14's, with really only a computer upgrade and a k&n panel filter.

And I'd love a V8, but financially it isn't on the cards.

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
What he is saying has merit.

A blow off valve, attached to a solenoid that was seeing pressures of anything over 8psi, would actually give off the same sound. but it would be very very short. and almost not audible unless it was an excessively small BOV with a trumpet.

you can get these from autobarn for around $60.00.

I don't know alot about auto's mate. I've heard of changing to corvette solenoids and everything on here (but I'm lost).

I think your idea sounds cool, but that is where it ends. I am a former ricer however (flame away)

as for the shift kit for the auto. I have a stage 3 in my VY. it shifts very abruptly, stage 2's are more direct than a standard box. and are great for towing, and little bit of performance.

I also have a 3500rpm stally in my box, and a Motec 600 ECU. which is kinda pointless considering I have a standard V6 almost. but the motec is out of my et pulsar which got written off (not at fault) so I put it to good use. It runs low 14's, with really only a computer upgrade and a k&n panel filter.

And I'd love a V8, but financially it isn't on the cards.
1. A bov works with air (well releasing air), dont think a transmission would have much air in it to be honest, and the only thing under pressure would be trans fluid? so i cant see how that would even work?

2. low 14's on a standard v6? timeslips or id didn't happen.... :thumbsup:

crazywog

XR6 TURBO KING
Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6 TURBO she needs a tissue achoo
id say dnt do it unless u wana get laughed at but if ur that desperate slap on those ebay thingys that makes sounds undrur car and push the button each time u cruise and belike fully hektik bro sut tututu i got a fake turbo omg uleh i live in coburg drop a dose

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute

ROFL!!! Low 14's on a basically bog stock VY V6 (being Ecotec)?! :rofl: :rofl: yeah, no worries mate. A Motec, stage 3 shift kit and 3500 stally isn't going to give you low 14's mate. Maybe low 14 second 100 meter runs :p

And why the hell do you need a 3500 stally in an Ecotec V6? Most people wouldn't even put a 3500 stally in their V8. What is the point of a Motec on a stock Ecotec?

Yep, changing the servo (band) to a "corvette servo" will make your shifts (particulary from 1st into 2nd) alot harder and joltier (is that even a word? :p), the shift kit just holds your revs out longer through each gear.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
id say dnt do it unless u wana get laughed at but if ur that desperate slap on those ebay thingys that makes sounds undrur car and push the button each time u cruise and belike fully hektik bro sut tututu i got a fake turbo omg uleh i live in coburg drop a dose

Please, learn how to type in english.

ROFL!!! Low 14's on a basically bog stock VY V6 (being Ecotec)?! :rofl: :rofl: yeah, no worries mate. A Motec, stage 3 shift kit and 3500 stally isn't going to give you low 14's mate. Maybe low 14 second 100 meter runs :p.
What is the point of a Motec on a stock Ecotec?

Spoolin does admit that it's kind of pointless, but would rather your Motec sit in your room? I guess your mum might complain as she would have to vacuum around it.
I don't care about his 14 second 1/4 mile claim, give him a chance to prove it either way.

And why the hell do you need a 3500 stally in an Ecotec V6? Most people wouldn't even put a 3500 stally in their V8..

As for this, do you know why people change their torque converter to one with a different stall speed?
There would be a heap of V8's with stall speeds of this and above, go do your homework on why you SHOULD change your stall converter, not why you think it should be changed.

Yep, changing the servo (band) to a "corvette servo" will make your shifts (particulary from 1st into 2nd) alot harder and joltier (is that even a word? :p), the shift kit just holds your revs out longer through each gear.

A servo is not a band. They are two different things.
In this case, the servo increases/decreases force ON the band to stiffen holding. Also can be achieved by increasing hydraulic line pressure in a transmission.