Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brake failure lost caliper bolt

Status
Not open for further replies.

W Stobart

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS LS7 Ute
So I have received the engineering report confirming my diagnoses as to why my VZ Ute had a massive brake / suspension failure. Nothing to do with my hearing, or tyres, or excessive modifications, or the rest of the idiotic comments by members of this forum which should be called 'Just Commodes'. Here is the report:

PH: 9414 9555 Email: [email protected]
Condition Assessment Report
Date of Assessment: 19-02-2024
Clients Details
Name: William Stobart
Phone: -
Address: -
Background:
William Stobart requested that we examine his failed brake calliper and determine the
most probable cause of failure.
Method of Assessment:
The failed calliper and wheel have been visually examined.
Results of Assessment:
The results are presented below with the photo of the component with a description of
what is being viewed.
Picture 1 shows the effect of the failure, it is apparent that the rear bolt on the callipers
is missing, and the thread is still serviceable indicating that this bolt was at least mostly
removed before the failure event. The front bolt has however been snapped flush with
the surface of the mount indicating it has failed due to excessive shear force. The failed
bolt can still be rotated with fingers without assistance indicating no thread locker has
been used. This picture also shows the upright section of the wheel hub broken off, this
is a clean fracture and is consistent with being overloaded when the wheel and calliper
have made contact. Not shown here is the lower control arm which has been twisted
which is consistent with a failure of the upright and unlikely to be causal.
Picture 2 shows the underside of the calliper. In this photo a crack is visible in the front
of the opening consistent with it being driven forward forcefully into the disc. Bubbled
paint is also visible consistent with the calliper reaching high temperatures.
Picture 3 shows the top of the failed calliper. This photo again shows paint that has
bubbled indicating high temperatures, it also shows heavy wear marks on the back of
the calliper consistent with the rear of the calliper lifting and making contact with the
alloy rim. There is some aluminium transferred to the front portion of the calliper this
area is however built up rather than worn down indicating that it came into contact with
molten aluminium but not the solid wheel.
Picture 4 shows the inside of the damaged wheel. Again it is evident that the calliper
has made significant contact with the rim removing and simultaneously adding material
to the rims surface consistent with a high energy/high speed contact.
Vehicle Make Holden
Model Commodore
Date of manufacture -
Chassis / VIN -
Picture 1 - Failed Brake Assembly
Picture 2 - Failed Calliper Bottom View
Picture 3 - Failed Calliper Top View
Picture 4 – Damaged Rim
Interpretation of Result:
The examination of the failed components indicates that the rear bolt on the calliper has
come lose, likely because it wasn’t torqued correctly and has allowed the rear of the
calliper to lift up slightly under braking. The calliper has then made contact with the rim
which has a self exciting action where the friction applies a tangential force which has a
radial component that further forces the calliper into the wheel which increases the
friction increasing the tangential for etc. This dramatically increases the force applied to
the calliper which then appears to have overloaded the front hub assembly allowing it to
come free and rotate forward twisting the lower control arm. As the process is self-
exciting it is likely to have happened very quickly and given very little warning.

Conclusion:
The failure is consistent with bolts not being properly torqued on the calliper. While
other explanations may be possible this is quiet a well-known failure mechanism and is
consistent with all of the evidence. It is highly likely that failure occurred due to
improperly torqued bolts.
Signed & Dated _______________________ ___/___/______
Jack Packard
Packard Automotive
BEng(Mech)

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
If you are going to come here to insult this will be short lived.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Where are the pictures?

grey_hawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Ute, VS V6 snotbox
I'd be interested to see what sort of response you get from the workshop that installed them when you show them the report.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Same response as before no doubt.

It's been considerable time since they did the work and it's impossible to know what has happened to the car since that time.

W Stobart

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS LS7 Ute
Where are the pictures? Enough for you?
And I was not insulted by uninformed V6 Commodore drivers and you referring to my ego?
A one way street it would appear here. There are many here that would not be pleased if you denied them the opportunity to follow this saga to its conclusion. I have submitted my claim to Tim Slako's West Racing for $3,400 for which I personally carried out the labor for free.

Same response as before no doubt.

It's been considerable time since they did the work and it's impossible to know what has happened to the car since that time.
It is about a year since the big brakes were installed but the car remained in the same shop for at least 6 months after that and driven by me much less than 1000km. It is not "impossible to know what happened" in the interim. Work continued trying to eliminate multiple warning lights and since my repossession nothing was worked on other than myself fixing the bodgy Tremec installation. Caliper bolts are a 'critical fastener' and if installed properly they will stay installed until uninstalled by a wrench, not falling out by themselves. Consumer prortection would certainly treat this as such.

Attachments

• Z20240114_094412.jpg
    Z20240114_094412.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 39
  • Z20240114_094509.jpg
    Z20240114_094509.jpg
    453.7 KB · Views: 37
  • Z20240114_094522.jpg
    Z20240114_094522.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 34
  • Z20240114_095330.jpg
    Z20240114_095330.jpg
    352.2 KB · Views: 34
  • Z20240114_095952.jpg
    Z20240114_095952.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 36
  • Z20240114_102739.jpg
    Z20240114_102739.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 35
  • Z20240114_104329.jpg
    Z20240114_104329.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 34
Last edited by a moderator:

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
And I was not insulted by uninformed V6 Commodore drivers and you referring to my ego?

A one way street it would appear here. There are many here that would not be pleased if you denied them the opportunity to follow this saga to its conclusion. I have submitted my claim to Tim Slako's West Racing for $3,400 for which I personally carried out the labor for free.

It is about a year since the big brakes were installed but the car remained in the same shop for at least 6 months after that and driven by me much less than 1000km. It is not "impossible to know what happened" in the interim. Work continued trying to eliminate multiple warning lights and since my repossession nothing was worked on other than myself fixing the bodgy Tremec installation. Caliper bolts are a 'critical fastener' and if installed properly they will stay installed until uninstalled by a wrench, not falling out by themselves. Consumer prortection would certainly treat this as such.

Well how about you stick to the facts and leave the attitude.

I've not forgotten about the abusive private messages you sent me.

You've been warned.

This forum does not exist so you can take out your frustrations on a private company in public.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
As I stated you will need to take the report to the tribunal.
The shop owner can just screw it up throw it in the bin and laugh.
Then only person that can compel the shop owner to open his wallet is a magistrate.

You should be able to write a letter explaining everything, addressed "to the magistrate presiding"
Explain the whole lot, ask for them to pay your court fees ect because you approached them first without going to the tribunal.
Actually ask them one more time via email and if they reply with F off you have showen that you tried to resolve the issue out side of court.

If this is too much then you can hire a solicitor, a case like this should cost between $1500-$2000 for the solicitor.
I'm not sure on court fees for a tribunal, last time I was in court for legal reasons it was a $50 court fee.

Basically you want to say everything to the magistrate in writing and do as little talking as possible, or have a solicitor and they do the talking you just sit there.
Any paperwork gets put in the folder so the magistrate can read it all.

With that report it will be a pretty simple case. Just ask for all the money you can get the worst is the magistrate says no on X but gives you X.
But just throw costs on like tow truck and the time it took you to write the letter, itemise it all and they may award you the lot.

W Stobart

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS LS7 Ute
Well how about you stick to the facts and leave the attitude.

I've not forgotten about the abusive private messages you sent me.

You've been warned.

This forum does not exist so you can take out your frustrations on a private company in public.
I give you permission to post my "abusive private messages" so all can see how you like to inflate things.

Status
Not open for further replies.