Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brake Upgrade

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII Calais V 6.2L Sed
Ah yes, but that wasn’t the question. The master cylinder on the V8 Calais will be the same bore diameter as the HSV master that the brakes were engineered to be used with and there will not be any change required for brake bias or ABS.
I highly doubt the v8 calais master will be the same as the HSV master seeing the HSV has much bigger brakes and the Calais master is only used for twin piston calipers
Even though people don't, I would change the master cylinder as well.

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII Calais V 6.2L Sed
I've always been told a HSV is a Commodore and therefore when I've up the size and width for tyres and rims on an SS I'd go 25mm bigger than HSV to stay NSW legal until Holden went staggered with the VF and it didn't matter any more.

Thats why there is not a commodore or GHM badge to be seen..........

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Thats why there is not a commodore or GHM badge to be seen..........

My VE E Series HSV Clubsport NSW registration papers list the make and model as Holden Commodore.

As does the rego papers for my earlier HSV's.

The Roads and Maritime Services see those models as Commodores.

Also the VIN looks very Holdenish.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
My VE E Series HSV Clubsport NSW registration papers list the make and model as Holden Commodore.

As does the rego papers for my earlier HSV's.

The Roads and Maritime Services see those models as Commodores.

Also the VIN looks very Holdenish.

Same in Victoria, my E3 Maloo is registered as a 'white Holden utility'.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Holden owns a % of HSV and it’s in their interest to keep the brands seperate from each other within the market place. They spend $ advertising the difference to keep the market seeing them as different as it bolsters HSV prices. That’s a no brainer.

But if you look at the compliance sticker on the passenger side b-pillar, you will see the approval number is the same for Holden and HSV commodore based variants for a specific model year. That sticker also lists the manufacturer as should other identification or build plates within the engine bay.

In any case, Holden certifies all HSVs and Commodores using the same certification doc number. Holden sends in the compliance paperwork to the regulators so each person can make up their own mind up whether HSV is an entirely independent manufacturer or not.

Me, I think like the regulator and registration authorities and see HSV’s as a model variant of Holden (built by Holden though cosmetically modded by HSV).

(I say cosmetically modded as any real engineering would be done by Holden in concert with HSV to GM’s standards - HSV are not backyarders as such)

HotdogNo1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSv Redline A6 W407
Ordered last night online, rang them this morning. Should have the kit middle of next week, installed next Friday. I checked again this morning, this is all AP Racing kit - except the pads which are Ferodo.

Another question I had this morning - do I need to worry about any changes to brake bias or any other settings due to the change in disk and calliper sizes. Does this change anything to do with ABS or the electric park brake.

Thanks.
Installed new pre-loved Hsv 4 pot Ap racing calipers & rotors (bolt straight up) on my old VE SSv Series 2 Rotors (Hsv)Front 365mm Rear 350mm
I used new Hsv brake lines (they need to be longer only) on the front with new copper washers all round and new Hsv caliper bolts about $6 each.
Also for the rear brakes, you may need to cut the dust cover at the back of the old rotors to fit the new larger HSV rotors. Master cylinder will be fine and no need to change.

Attachments

• 2020-01-11 13.02.13.jpg
    2020-01-11 13.02.13.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 215
  • 2020-01-11 13.00.33.jpg
    2020-01-11 13.00.33.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:

mfrancis1990

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais-V V8
My Calais came with the Performance brake package - larger front brakes and I believe larger master cylinder. I am in QLD.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
My Calais came with the Performance brake package - larger front brakes and I believe larger master cylinder. I am in QLD.
If you have 345mm rotors and single piston front calipers, your booster and bmc are the same as fitted to Redline with brembo brakes

mfrancis1990

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais-V V8
Wow, just read through the thread from @Ron Burgundy - I am now seriously considering cancelling the order. I am a risk-averse person as well and could see an Insurance company trying this on. I have a mate that has been doing a lot of mods (built a Ford Anglia with a 1300cc Hyabusa engine) and going through the full process to make it street legal, I think I will talk to him. And then make a decision.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
... I have a mate that has been doing a lot of mods (built a Ford Anglia with a 1300cc Hyabusa engine) and going through the full process to make it street legal, I think I will talk to him. And then make a decision.
Thats one big upgrade for the Anglia in going from a sub 1000cc 1960’s 4 cylinder to a modern 1300cc motorbike engine :cool:

Your mate or better still the engineer he uses will be able to give you a full rundown of what’s required to be legit. Heck, if you need engineering cert, for the effort, bigger CTS-V 6 pot calipers may be the way to go ;)

It’s also worth talking to your insurance company and asking the what if’s. Some insurance companies simply don’t like V8’s. Some simply don’t like modded V8 so may choose to no longer insure you if you upgrade the brakes, or simply increase your premiums to an annoying level. In my view it’s better to know such things before you go down the mod path so you can make an informed decision.

Good luck and keep us updated as to what you find out and ultimately decide :cool: