Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bridgestone or Michellin

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I gather you get your information straight from Tempe or a tyre shop?
Suspension shop & mechanic most recently, but those were certainly not the first time I've heard about the grading of tyres & the poorest quality ones going to the lowest-paying markets.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Suspension shop & mechanic most recently, but those were certainly not the first time I've heard about the grading of tyres & the poorest quality ones going to the lowest-paying markets.

The thing with the poorest quality going to the lowest paying market is, it reflects on the tyre brand, rather than the supplier....This means they develop a poor reputation amongst the public and sales take a dive.....Honestly could you see a manufacturer risking sales? I can't

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
The thing with the poorest quality going to the lowest paying market is, it reflects on the tyre brand, rather than the supplier....This means they develop a poor reputation amongst the public and sales take a dive.....Honestly could you see a manufacturer risking sales? I can't
How is anyone in Australia going to know Vietnam gets bad-quality versions of the same models we get here, when they have nothing to compare to, and hence how can it affect sales there?
Why would anyone in Australia care (let alone knowing in the first place) if Vietnam gets poorer quality versions of the tyres they sell here, so how can it affect sales here?

Wheel & tyre retailers have been getting away with selling weak, soft overweight aftermarket alloys for nigh on half a century. Tempe have even bought a well-known defunct Australian brand-name to market such things (Simmons). You can get away with heaps in that market & what drives sales is price, not quality.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline

Australian Specifications / Design Rules There are certain risks in fitting and using tyres which have not been supplied by Bridgestone Australia. Although the tyres may have been made to comply with the laws and standards of their place of origin, these tyres may not comply with the laws and standards of Australia. Quality & Performance The tyres that Bridgestone Australia imports are deemed by Bridgestone technical staff to be suitable for the Australian conditions.

Tyres not imported by Bridgestone Australia may meet an alternative specification which is less suitable for Australian conditions. This may not be apparent to the retailer or customer.

Although the tyre size designation, load index, speed symbol and tread pattern may appear similar, often the tread compound and casing construction of tyres not imported by Bridgestone Australia may be different and not suitable for Australian conditions.

Bridgestone Australia technical staff assess the local operating conditions, and only tyres which have design features that are considered suitable to meet those conditions are imported by Bridgestone Australia. Unauthorised importers are unlikely to have the knowledge necessary to determine which Bridgestone products are best suited to local Australian conditions.

Bridgestone branded tyres which have not been imported by Bridgestone Australia may be a few years old by the time they arrive in Australia and may have been stored in unfavourable conditions.

The mixing on a vehicle of tyres not imported by Bridgestone Australia with tyres imported by Bridgestone Australia could create uneven wear of the tyres with some wearing out faster than others. The handling of the vehicle may also be affected

EternityDre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE #385
When I got my Bridgestone RE003s I paid a more and got them through Bridgestone, who also adjusted my suspension geometry and have since done free 6 monthly tyre checks. The tyres were made in Japan. The same tyres were significantly cheaper at Coscto but they were made in Thailand or Vietnam and given the importance of tyres (I track my Motorsport) it wasn't even a question of going the cheaper and more risky route. Why would you take the risk to save a few hundred dollars at most?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
How is anyone in Australia going to know Vietnam gets bad-quality versions of the same models we get here, when they have nothing to compare to, and hence how can it affect sales there?
Why would anyone in Australia care (let alone knowing in the first place) if Vietnam gets poorer quality versions of the tyres they sell here, so how can it affect sales here?

Wheel & tyre retailers have been getting away with selling weak, soft overweight aftermarket alloys for nigh on half a century. Tempe have even bought a well-known defunct Australian brand-name to market such things (Simmons). You can get away with heaps in that market & what drives sales is price, not quality.

What has the tyre quality of a tyre sold in Vietnam got to do with the tyre quality Tempe sell to us in Australia, from the same manufacturer? That's what this discussion was about I thought

What has crappy rims got to do with tyre quality sold within this country? Anyways just for the record, any rim sold and fitted to a car within this country must comply with Australian standards....The compliance number is on the rim, generally on the inside....

I also remember hearing about rims bought over the internet that didn't comply with Australian standards and people were having a big whinge that they were falling apart.....That's how they get away with it....Internet sales.....Can't see the compliance number on the rim when advertised.....Get the rim don't know about it...Seller is laughing all the way to the bank and buyer is stuffed when the rim falls apart....

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
When I got my Bridgestone RE003s I paid a more and got them through Bridgestone, who also adjusted my suspension geometry and have since done free 6 monthly tyre checks. The tyres were made in Japan. The same tyres were significantly cheaper at Coscto but they were made in Thailand or Vietnam and given the importance of tyres (I track my Motorsport) it wasn't even a question of going the cheaper and more risky route. Why would you take the risk to save a few hundred dollars at most?

Quite often, tyre manufacturers make tyres out of different countries and have them imported into this country.....Doesn't mean the quality is any different.....

Unfortunately I don't know how Costco operate, as I haven't had the privelidge of knowing someone within that chain

Going back years ago, when Bridgestone were made in Australia, customers used to ask me to show them where they were made, because if they were Japanese made ones, they refused to buy them, because they didn't like the quality...My how times have changed :)

Just a little trivia...The Kumho series V8 tyre are made in Vietnam.....So I wouldn't read too much into where they are made in that context

Last edited:

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
My 18 inch RE003s were fitted in a set of 4 at a Bridgestone Centre. They were 2 from Vietnam and 2 from Thailand, with 2 different production dates. The 19 inch RE003s for my other car were supplied by Bob Jane and were made in Thailand (all 4 this time had same country and date of manufacture).
Looks like a pig in a poke really - I hope there is no difference in quality between Vietnam and Thailand!
I noticed a big step up in performance from the aged RE050s I had on both cars before these, which had gone hard.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
What has the tyre quality of a tyre sold in Vietnam got to do with the tyre quality Tempe sell to us in Australia, from the same manufacturer?
You didn't mention Tempe Tyres, you said that tyre manufacturers wouldn't sell their lowest-quality product to the lowest-paying market because it would affect sales negatively. I was showing why it hasn't affected sales.
The relevance back to Tempe being that they grey-import those tyres that were intended to go to the lowest-paying market.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
You didn't mention Tempe Tyres, you said that tyre manufacturers wouldn't sell their lowest-quality product to the lowest-paying market because it would affect sales negatively. I was showing why it hasn't affected sales.
The relevance back to Tempe being that they grey-import those tyres that were intended to go to the lowest-paying market.

My whole discussion has revolved around Tempe and the tyres they sell in the Australian market and how they manage to sell them for less than buying them through the manufacturers warehouse.

It even shows with both of our quotes as shown

Yes but no, tyre batches are graded. The car manufacturers get the top grade, the first world gets the second grade for retail, the rest of the world gets the lowest grade ‘cos you can’t charge for tyres in Zimbabwe what you can in Australia. Tempe gets the Zimbabwe tyres - straight from the factory.

I gather you get your information straight from Tempe or a tyre shop?

Like Quote Reply

So somewhere it seems to have gone from the Australian market to the O/S market, which means we should go O/S to get the cheaper tyre

Last edited: