Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Broken Odometer

bumskins

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive Series 1
Unfortunately while fixing this I stuffed up the speedometer, when I was putting the speedometer needle back (trying to set it to zero)

After just completing this repair today, I can confirm that this problem can occur when putting the speedo gauge back together. If anyone is reading this thread and going to attempt to replace the little plastic odometer gear then I highly suggest you skip this step from the original guide http://users.tpg.com.au/adslv0x2/Tenth.jpg

Instead, provided you have the correct sized miniaturized tools, you can simply skip ahead and directly undo the two screws seen here http://users.tpg.com.au/adslv0x2/Ninth.jpg holding the odometer housing and circuit board in place to the back of the speedo, without the need to remove the speedo needle and fascia at all.

Otherwise when you go to put everything back together it is a b!tch to accurately zero the speedo needle again after having it removed and there's a good chance your speedo needle will not be placed back into it's original position resulting in your speedo reading incorrectly. The needle is also very brittle with age so it's best left alone wherever possible (mine literally crumbled in my hand when removing it!).

P.S. The replacement odometer gear can now be bought on eBay from a number of sellers from as little as $8.00 for a brand new replacement.

P.P.S. After completing this guide you really get an idea of just how easy it would be for someone to wind back their mechanical odometer!

Mavericks Choice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV M6, VF2 LS3 Calais V, VZ 6L M6 Crewie
Bloody good write up bookmarking this one now.

Benno1515

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS series II
Thanks for the very helpful post. I have a VS Series II which I fixed today by using your post. I also agree with bumskins that there is no requirement to remove the needle as it doesnt get in the way at all.
Also, the first time that I reassembled the gears the odometer did not work. I would advise others to manually move the gears ensuring that the planetary gear is moving as it should by looking through the transparent odometer casing. Make sure the small gear is actually binding with the larger before you put it back together.

James39

Gave up on VL's
Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Acclaim & 1992 Holden Barina
Replaced this cog today but for some reason it only works for a few metres or only 1 kilometre then stops.
Has anyone come arcoss this problem before? Maybe the motor for it needs oiling?

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Replaced this cog today but for some reason it only works for a few metres or only 1 kilometre then stops.
Has anyone come arcoss this problem before? Maybe the motor for it needs oiling?

If it's just the odo that stops counting the kms then the cog is not sitting in the head correctly. With the speedo out of the cluster you can try turning over a few kms and see that the motor part is still going around inside.

James39

Gave up on VL's
Reaction score
Members Ride
If it's just the odo that stops counting the kms then the cog is not sitting in the head correctly. With the speedo out of the cluster you can try turning over a few kms and see that the motor part is still going around inside.

Both odo and trip stop working, the speedo still works fine :)
Turning over a few kms? The only way I know how to make them turn is by having the motor out of the way and then turn the gears by hand which seems to be fine.

This is the second time I have done this thing which worked out well last time. The only difference is that is this cog is different from the first one I brought. Last cog was grey and this one is yellow which seems more raised on the bottom where it goes on the other part of the gears.

I am thinking the motor may have a problem?

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Turning over a few kms? The only way I know how to make them turn is by having the motor out of the way and then turn the gears by hand which seems to be fine.

This is the second time I have done this thing which worked out well last time. The only difference is that is this cog is different from the first one I brought. Last cog was grey and this one is yellow which seems more raised on the bottom where it goes on the other part of the gears.

I am thinking the motor may have a problem?

I fit the yellow cogs now also. After i put the cog in I use a scriber point and turn over a few kms from the top while looking at the inside of the motor to make sure it's moving. If the motor is not moving it will not work when put back in the cluster.

James39

Gave up on VL's
Reaction score
Members Ride
I fit the yellow cogs now also. After i put the cog in I use a scriber point and turn over a few kms from the top while looking at the inside of the motor to make sure it's moving. If the motor is not moving it will not work when put back in the cluster.

Thanks for that, I will give that a go :)

James39

Gave up on VL's
Reaction score
Members Ride

Ok that idea seems to work but feels a bit stiff so to speak also felt like it was catching on something ... Is that normal?

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok that idea seems to work but feels a bit stiff so to speak also felt like it was catching on something ... Is that normal?

Check you dont have a busted tooth in the gears (from the broken cog) It should click over smooth with only a little resistance.