Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Broken Odometer

potsie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 3.8 1994
very helpfull, wouldnt know what to do without it.

timfee34

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Exec
Gday,
The odometer has stopped working in my VS Series 2, i have pulled the dash cluster out, found the cog to be broken and replaced it. Unfortunately my odometer is still not working, I have double checked cog and it is seated properly, i have also checked for any broken solder connections but it all looks fine. Can anyone suggest anything else to check? Great thread too!!

Cheers,
Tim

CommodoreAdict

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ute
Gday,
The odometer has stopped working in my VS Series 2, i have pulled the dash cluster out, found the cog to be broken and replaced it. Unfortunately my odometer is still not working, I have double checked cog and it is seated properly, i have also checked for any broken solder connections but it all looks fine. Can anyone suggest anything else to check? Great thread too!!

Cheers,
Tim

Funny that Tim, I just done the same thing and yep mine still isnt working either so I pulled it apart again and found a loose connection on the motor for it, put it back together and still nothing! so I plugged my facia back up ie speed alert etc and now my speedo just stopped aswell!! arrgghhh wtf! If anyone could help us out that would be great..

Cheers,
Mick

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Has the cog been put back in the correct way up? I did this on one repair and yep failed to work.

Also make sure you have bit of lube on the spindle else it will "ping" a tooth again.

The other thing that could go wrong is the speed sensor on the gearbox and the voltage regulator may have a cracked solder joint. But thats about all that can go wrong with them

timfee34

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Exec
Funny that Tim, I just done the same thing and yep mine still isnt working either so I pulled it apart again and found a loose connection on the motor for it, put it back together and still nothing! so I plugged my facia back up ie speed alert etc and now my speedo just stopped aswell!! arrgghhh wtf! If anyone could help us out that would be great..

Cheers,
Mick

Haha sounds exactly like what happened to me except the reason my speedo wasnt working was because i forgot to plug that little flat black plug (on the back of the speedo) back in:bang: and im not sure about why my odometer wasnt working i think it was just being temperamental lol cos it works now. In the end i must have pulled it out about 8 times, so just keep trying things, Good luck with yours, and thanks to 88GreenVN for the post.

Cheers,
Tim

Maccanstacka

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Esteem
Hi, while attempting this, pulling out the plug that goes into the circuit in the green stuff, i ripped the circuit a little because the plug was a bit stubborn. Now does this mean its buggered now ? Or is it still usable :(

Piper

Aidos!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
Thanks for your post Kopper69, It's save me a lot of money and time. I love the detail and the photos are a great help!

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Hi, while attempting this, pulling out the plug that goes into the circuit in the green stuff, i ripped the circuit a little because the plug was a bit stubborn. Now does this mean its buggered now ? Or is it still usable :(

Bit late - but if the copper track is broken - yep it's buggered and would need to be joined for it to work properly.

Sharkzz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS auto wagon
KOPPER you bloody legend mate !! and G'day all
just joined today. Man oh Man I've been pulling off my bloody steering wheel all the time and didn't even think of just lowering it, that alone is a godsend LOL.
and I was continuously worried about the airbag popping off as well. (well not knowing if it would). GREAT pictures realy helped too. AND my first post was just a few minutes ago asking this same thing in a post about speedo not working , ah well that'll teach me to search posts in future eh ?.
I agree aslo, the local Holden dealer and local mechanics wanted to charge me like a wounded bull, though one did recomend going to the wreckers, but I would worry about getting a stuffed one from the wrckers knowing my luck .
Thanks fellas for the posts.
Sharkzz