Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Broken Rear Shock Mount Bolt

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I try to avoid welding at all costs unless you want to pay someone who knows what they are doing.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Many industrial welders are 2 phase or 480V. My welder (BOC Smootharc advanceII 250a inverter mig/mma) can be used at 240, 415 or 480V. The amperage is limited to 180a when used with a single phase 240v 15a outlet. The full 250a is available when using 415 or 480V power sources.

Mine is connected to 2 phase 480V as I don't have access to 3 phase in my area. 2 phase is commonly referred to as 'farm power' around here.
Best welder I ever used was off the back of a tractor, good old PTO driven welder 3 phase, welds up I beams beautiful.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Most homes have 1 service fuse however 2 service fuses are still common but not 3 they are more found in workshops, I've used the 2 phase generator welder when I was on the road gang slashing roadsides they are quite good but do prefer the 3 phase.
If the OP wants to weld on a bolt to the boss after drilling out a hole I would tapper the outer hole to fill the weld around the bolt / Stud. If you only have a single phase I would heat up the boss first get it hot before welding.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Me personnally...Drill out...Use a HT nut and bolt, with a washer inbetween the nut and shocker bush.....Honestly, welding is way over the top for this application.....IRS equipped commodores only have a bolt, with washer that holds the shock in place at the base....

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Me personnally...Drill out...Use a HT nut and bolt, with a washer inbetween the nut and shocker bush.....Honestly, welding is way over the top for this application.....IRS equipped commodores only have a bolt, with washer that holds the shock in place at the base....
Maybe so but easiest way to go(imo because I have a welder and know how to use it) and IRS Commodores don't get overtightened by blokes with big armso_O

Actually if the op wants to drive up here (probably $100 fuel) I will fix it for him.Not much of an option I know but an option just the same.
I've had people drive here from the Goldie to buy roof racks off me

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
I guess I'm lucky as I've got 3 Phase in the house and also out in the shed. Gives me plenty of options I must say.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I guess I'm lucky as I've got 3 Phase in the house and also out in the shed. Gives me plenty of options I must say.

At least you should be able to fast charge an electric vehicle.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Maybe so but easiest way to go(imo because I have a welder and know how to use it) and IRS Commodores don't get overtightened by blokes with big armso_O

Actually if the op wants to drive up here (probably $100 fuel) I will fix it for him.Not much of an option I know but an option just the same.
I've had people drive here from the Goldie to buy roof racks off me

I wouldn't bother welding, drill a 10-12mm hole about 3/4 in as I mentioned now the 3rd time and get a HT 150mm long half threaded bolt and locknut and 2 roll pins. measure and Cut the bolt where there no thread to the length of the drilled out hole, drill out 2 holes thru the centre of the boss and thru the bolt to take the roll pins. Its all it needs.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Is that because you live in a wreakers yard? Vin said your Mr backyard wreaker.

And here you go again !!!!

You and your mate / alter ego are getting very close to being tossed off here for life as you just can't restrain yourself from tearing others down can you ! It seems to make you feel good doesn't it ?

Learn how to F$%king spell you illiterate git.