Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cabin Air Filter

Nitro_X

Numbskull
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6
Installed a new air filter for the air-con today, bit of a tricky location and a bit fiddly, but jesus, there's some sharp edges on the opening access area, nearly sliced my forearm open and now looks like a crazy cat attacked my arm..lol

Anyway, I opted for a Wesfil brand for $20 from AutoOne rather than the Ryco RCA162P for $31 from Supercheap.
I think these are the 'pollen' filter type and Holden charge about $50 for the Ryco filter.

Never had a proper filter, only the factory thin wire mesh, so will be good to have cleaner air while in city traffic.

Noticed about 20%-25% reduction in air flow (expected some), just wondering if anyone has fitted the Ryco filter and whether you had much air flow reduction. It's possible the two are made from the same material and same production line though. I might try the more expensive Ryco filter next time.

aunto

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore SV6 2007
I did the same as you, got the repco brand one for 25$ i think. Cut my fingers here and there to reach there, but ended up putting it nicely. For some reason doesnt fit properly until you take the mesh our correct? Well i kept the mesh and just placed the pollen filter on top.

Yes air flow is less but much cleaner than before.

Has

Nitro_X

Numbskull
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6
I removed the mesh frame and the filter fit in and sealed nicely.

I didn't throw away the mesh frame though, kept it in case I need to refit at a later time for whatever reason

mantaray56

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 Z
The Repco one is a poor fit, got the original Holden much better and cheaper. A good tip is too smooth the edges of the plastic box as they rip your forearms to bits. Could Holden have made it any more awkward.

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
You need to remove the mesh filter before fitting the new paper element filter

Reason: There is a drain tube on the far RHS - Just placing the paper element filter in front of the mesh filter will block the drain tube, possibly resulting in your cabin flooding with water if it becomes blocked

Nitro_X

Numbskull
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6
You need to remove the mesh filter before fitting the new paper element filter

Reason: There is a drain tube on the far RHS - Just placing the paper element filter in front of the mesh filter will block the drain tube, possibly resulting in your cabin flooding with water if it becomes blocked

Done. But I didn't know about the drain, that is good to know.
I also vacuumed out old leaf litter debris that built up around the bottom of the mesh, before removing

Not sure this new filter is working as well as I'd hoped, sometimes I think I can still smell some exhaust fumes while driving in town traffic
For a couple of days it had that kinda 'new filter smell' but that has now dissipated

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
I can smell a bit as well every now and then only light

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
Not sure this new filter is working as well as I'd hoped, sometimes I think I can still smell some exhaust fumes while driving in town traffic

Dude, the cabin filter is good enough to remove most pollens from the air (hayfever allergies etc), but no way on gods earth is it going to remove harmful exhaust gases in traffic.

You can get more expensive 'activated carbon' filters which will remove some toxins in the air, but I can almost guarantee that the $25 repco version doesnt have activated carbon :).

Here you go:
http://www.rycofilters.com.au/products/cabin-air

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Thanks for the link

mantaray56

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 Z
Holden must have hired a Ford engineer when they designed the Cabin Filter location and replacement, it is a dog of a job.