Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Calais V - V6 vs V8

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
Think it might be ex rental, but priced well.

Op just remember insurance rego costs of V8 over V6. But get a 8 even a 6L
I know in this case the OP isn't NSW, but for NSW rego there is no difference between 6 or V8 - the rego is weight based, there are a few weight categories, but in the relevant one for medium to large cars is 1505 Kg, I think it was about $150 more for a car over 1505 Kg. As I recall my old VS Exec V6 was actually under that weight, but any VT onwards is going to be over.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
I know in this case the OP isn't NSW, but for NSW rego there is no difference between 6 or V8 - the rego is weight based, there are a few weight categories, but in the relevant one for medium to large cars is 1505 Kg, I think it was about $150 more for a car over 1505 Kg. As I recall my old VS Exec V6 was actually under that weight, but any VT onwards is going to be over.
Really?

Sa is odd misses Prado at 2.5 tonne(4cyl) is cheaper to rego than my V6 Commodore

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
SA is odd misses Prado at 2.5 tonne(4cyl) is cheaper to rego than my V6 Commodore
I think QLD does it that way, too.
In NSW I’ve never noticed a massively significant difference between the cost of registering the hugest-and-most-dangerous-to-other-road-users lumbering lump you can get & a powered roller-skate with doors ... but QLD mates are always talking about how expensive it is to register a V8.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
In NSW I’ve never noticed a massively significant difference between the cost of registering the hugest-and-most-dangerous-to-other-road-users lumbering lump you can get & a powered roller-skate with doors ... but QLD mates are always talking about how expensive it is to register a V8.
Correct, I moved from Sydney to Qld a few months back, but I think there's not much difference NSW to Queensland in rego cost for a V8, I did rego late last year for my VE SS and my VX Clubby. Over $1000 for them and about $800 I think for the wifes Forester. Did the Forester rego here last week - about $780 so pretty much as per NSW. I still haven't done the V8's rego here yet, but looking on website I think they will be about $1100 so again comparable to NSW. If I had a V6 Commodore it would be cheaper than the V8's here, but a 6 would be same a v8 in NSW, so I believe the 6 would be less in Qld than NSW. I also had a Fiesta (about 1100Kg) that I used for commute to work in Sydney. It was in a lower weight category than the Forester so was cheaper in NSW. If I had the Fiesta here, I believe it would be no different to the Forester, so effectively the Fiesta would be more to register in Qld than NSW.

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
9568C53C-5A0A-405F-BDA0-C0F9DAA391AA.jpeg

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Just checked ours vf2 SS is $797, ve V6 $699 Prado $570. Not country Sa so a bit cheaper

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have the phantom black,and titanium interior....... some pics for inspiration for you!

woooo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Multiple
Wow. Awesome information and replies from everyone except the God damn OP! haha. Many thanks everyone.

Still haven't bought yet, but have greatly pinpointed my needs:

* Titanium Interior (meaning Max 2016)
* Black
* VF2
* Under 40k km
* V6 (~$30k)

and wants:
* V8 (~$40k)
* Closer to 20k km

Now, *needs* is actually achievable as there's something that has caught my eye that I should be able to barter down, but my big dilemma is that:
1. I don't NEED a new car yet.
2. I'd love that V8 even though I don't need it at all.

I know the titanium interior is rare, even more rare in the VF2's and therefore I'd expect even more rare in the V8's and the prices for V8's are still stupid high in the VF2. I did see the perfect car a couple of months ago on Carsales but it was over in WA and $49k.

To wait for the perfect Calias V VF2 V8 or not to wait.
In all honesty, would I be upset if I missed out if I didn't buy? Well yeah, as you can tell I'm pretty particular, but I'm not a car nut so I'm sure I'd get over it.

Thanks again for all your input!

Edit: There's also that 2017 Redline on Auction down the road from me for $38k... If only it was black/SOAG.. maybe I should take a look anyway

You'll be waiting a long time for a low k VF2 V8 to go down a lot in price. I'd argue they wont go much lower being last Australian built car. V6 yes. You'll get a higher K V8 cheaper over time but you'll be paying for their wear and tear.

KLoNe

Reaction score
Members Ride
6.2L V8 Phantom VF2 Calais-V
You'll be waiting a long time for a low k VF2 V8 to go down a lot in price. I'd argue they wont go much lower being last Australian built car. V6 yes. You'll get a higher K V8 cheaper over time but you'll be paying for their wear and tear.

Agreed. I let a pretty perfect V6 slip through my fingers recently and won't let that happen again if the chance comes up... Saying that, maybe the wallet may open a little wider if the perfect V8 pops up for a bit more