Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Calais V - V6 vs V8

MOIRAE

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII 6.2LS3 Calais
I have a 6.2 Calais Sedan... Daily driver for just over a year now where I have done about 25,000 kms.

Most of the miles I do are spirit breaking metro commute. The average over the past 10k kms is 13.8 litres per 100.

I love the LS3. Love it. Great engine. Stock exhaust is great. Car can be as quiet as a mouse then just unload when the time suits.

The best word to describe it is "effortless".

KLoNe

Reaction score
Members Ride
6.2L V8 Phantom VF2 Calais-V
Wow. Awesome information and replies from everyone except the God damn OP! haha. Many thanks everyone.

Still haven't bought yet, but have greatly pinpointed my needs:

* Titanium Interior (meaning Max 2016)
* Black
* VF2
* Under 40k km
* V6 (~$30k)

and wants:
* V8 (~$40k)
* Closer to 20k km

Now, *needs* is actually achievable as there's something that has caught my eye that I should be able to barter down, but my big dilemma is that:
1. I don't NEED a new car yet.
2. I'd love that V8 even though I don't need it at all.

I know the titanium interior is rare, even more rare in the VF2's and therefore I'd expect even more rare in the V8's and the prices for V8's are still stupid high in the VF2. I did see the perfect car a couple of months ago on Carsales but it was over in WA and $49k.

To wait for the perfect Calias V VF2 V8 or not to wait.
In all honesty, would I be upset if I missed out if I didn't buy? Well yeah, as you can tell I'm pretty particular, but I'm not a car nut so I'm sure I'd get over it.

Thanks again for all your input!

Edit: There's also that 2017 Redline on Auction down the road from me for $38k... If only it was black/SOAG.. maybe I should take a look anyway

Last edited:

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Wow. Awesome information and replies from everyone except the God damn OP! haha. Many thanks everyone.

* Black
* VF2
* Under 40k km
* V6 (~$30k)

and wants:
* V8 (~$40k)
* Closer to 20k km

Now, *needs* is actually achievable as there's something that has caught my eye that I should be able to barter down, but my big dilemma is that:

I know the titanium interior is rare, even more rare in the VF2's and therefore I'd expect even more rare in the V8's and the prices for V8's are still stupid high in the VF2. I did see the perfect car a couple of months ago on Carsales but it was over in WA and $49k.

In all honesty, would I be upset if I missed out if I didn't buy? Well yeah, as you can tell I'm pretty particular, but I'm not a car nut so I'm sure I'd get over it.

Edit: There's also that 2017 Redline on Auction down the road from me for $38k... If only it was black/SOAG.. maybe I should take a look anyway
What colour is the Redline?

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director

* Black
* VF2
* Under 40k km
* V6 (~$30k)

and wants:
* V8 (~$40k)
* Closer to 20k km

Good things come to those who wait.. especially if you’re not in any urgency right now. The perfect one will turn up I am sure. It’s rare for a Phantom V8 Calais V to come by with titanium interior but will be very well worth it if you can get it. Think of all of us last year who wait several months to take delivery of our cars as we placed orders (I waited 7 months). We know it will be worth it when they arrive so why not? If it’s our passion and pride then we shouldn’t settle for less.

By the way everyone, I regret not getting a V8 now. :(

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Well I'd say have a crack at the Redline. But, it's a lot different to the Calais you've described. A phantom Calais with titanium interior would be sex on wheels.
Think it might be ex rental, but priced well.

Op just remember insurance rego costs of V8 over V6. But get a 8 even a 6L

KLoNe

Reaction score
Members Ride
6.2L V8 Phantom VF2 Calais-V
Think it might be ex rental, but priced well.

Op just remember insurance rego costs of V8 over V6. But get a 8 even a 6L

and fuel ;) yep, still want that LS3! :D

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition