Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

car audio information.

WhiteSv6Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve sidi Sv6 Ute
Hi guys,

Just out of personal information gain i was wondering could someone tell me in depth about how ohms work now i know a fair bit about electronics and car audio but i never really have had to look in to ohms it was only the other night when i was looking for a new amp for my splits that me and a mate started talking about it when we realised there isnt many high w rms @4 ohms 2 channel amps so any help or the basic do's and don'ts with matching them up because it sucks having 4 ohm kicker splits.

If there is already a thread on here please just link it for me but any knowledge would be awesome on the matter.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I'm not much for explaining the scientific side of ohms and resistence or the significance of it in relation to car audio.

But there are plenty of high power 2 channel amps for powering 4-ohm splits. I had a cadence ZRS-1502 that put out 150wrms at 4-ohms per channel powering my splits. And the most powerful Kicker splits I can find are only 100wrms.

For a cheaper option you can get a 4-channel amp and bridge them to make 2 more powerful channels at 4-ohms.

So what is your budget for a amp for your splits and what model splits are they.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
If you look at the non-mainstream brands you'll find amps that do 2 x 200Wrms and more at 4 ohm and 2 ohm splits. I'm not that in the loop with models anymore though so I can't think of any off the top of my head.

If you want to learn about resistance and impedance (both measured in ohms), this website is useful to learn about the electrical side of car audio: Basic Car Audio Electronics

WhiteSv6Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve sidi Sv6 Ute
I'm not much for explaining the scientific side of ohms and resistence or the significance of it in relation to car audio.

But there are plenty of high power 2 channel amps for powering 4-ohm splits. I had a cadence ZRS-1502 that put out 150wrms at 4-ohms per channel powering my splits. And the most powerful Kicker splits I can find are only 100wrms.

For a cheaper option you can get a 4-channel amp and bridge them to make 2 more powerful channels at 4-ohms.

So what is your budget for a amp for your splits and what model splits are they.

Hahaha wow i cant beileave it thats exactly the same setup i have at the moment the cadience amp and kicker splits but i have another kicker mono powering the 12" kicker comp RT slimline, i was just looking at a different amp as im not to sure of the quality of the cadience when all the rest of my system is kicker but the cadience amp was the most well suited for the splits when i installed them.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Hahaha wow i cant beileave it thats exactly the same setup i have at the moment the cadience amp and kicker splits but i have another kicker mono powering the 12" kicker comp RT slimline, i was just looking at a different amp as im not to sure of the quality of the cadience when all the rest of my system is kicker but the cadience amp was the most well suited for the splits when i installed them.

Actually I have Polk Momo splits running 130wrms each.

The Cadence ZRS amps were/are bloody nice amps. Just as good as any Kicker gear.

Leave the Cadence amp in there, it will keep dishing out for years to come.

WhiteSv6Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve sidi Sv6 Ute
Okay thanks for letting me know and I just remembered mine is actually the xa250 2 amp but I'll keep it in there because I haven't had any problems with it yet and is a good piece of gear so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
That is part of their Xenith range, which while not as good as the ZRS range is still a good amp. IMO will hold up to most mainstream brands.

Kicker gear isn't as good as most people believe. In the old days when it was all made in America, it was good gear. But now it is all Chinese made gear to keep up with the market which is all Chinese cheaply made gear.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Nah don't bother. You won't notice any difference in sound quality. If the amp is working just leave it in. Spend the money on something else.